Assetto Corsa easy driving

With a 54 inch TV, sitting with distance to your eyes of 27 inch, which is roughly the screen right behind the base of your wheel you are getting a 53 degree FOV for AC, 53 is very comfortable.:)

Sitting with a distance of 50 inch, is a challenge for proper FOV.

Having the screen close to the wheel and using the proper FOV can lead to a very immersive experience, at 53 degree you have the best of both world, spatial awareness and proper perspective. :cool:
The video is a good example of a too wide FOV with wrong perspective, the track is too narrow, the curves are less pronounced, the elevation are flatten and the track perspective in the middle of the screen is like looking at the world with binoculars held the wrong way.
The only positive is you can see the mirrors.:rolleyes:
Next time you drive IRL try to see your mirrors without moving your head, it helps understand what we really see and why wide FOV is wrong. Wrong FOV also adds distortion on the side of the screen , try to look at other car using left or right view at the beginning of a race and you will see the other cars are elongated when using wide FOV.

Give it a try, it takes a little bit of time to get it,(it did for me) and some back and forth, LOL, but once you get into proper FOV, it is an other world, the driving is getting more real and away from the arcade feeling.
In your case all you have to do is get the screen closer. Some people really struggle with proper FOV because they try to do it with a very small screen and that is a challenge, you are golden.:thumbsup:

With a 54 inch TV, sitting with distance to your eyes of 27 inch, which is roughly the screen right behind the base of your wheel you are getting a 53 degree FOV for AC, 53 is very comfortable.:)

Sitting with a distance of 50 inch, is a challenge for proper FOV.

Having the screen close to the wheel and using the proper FOV can lead to a very immersive experience, at 53 degree you have the best of both world, spatial awareness and proper perspective. :cool:
The video is a good example of a too wide FOV with wrong perspective, the track is too narrow, the curves are less pronounced, the elevation are flatten and the track perspective in the middle of the screen is like looking at the world with binoculars held the wrong way.
The only positive is you can see the mirrors.:rolleyes:
Next time you drive IRL try to see your mirrors without moving your head, it helps understand what we really see and why wide FOV is wrong. Wrong FOV also adds distortion on the side of the screen , try to look at other car using left or right view at the beginning of a race and you will see the other cars are elongated when using wide FOV.

Give it a try, it takes a little bit of time to get it,(it did for me) and some back and forth, LOL, but once you get into proper FOV, it is an other world, the driving is getting more real and away from the arcade feeling.
In your case all you have to do is get the screen closer. Some people really struggle with proper FOV because they try to do it with a very small screen and that is a challenge, you are golden.:thumbsup:
This issue frustrates me because I do want to play the "proper" way so I moved my rig that extra few cms towards the TV and recalculated to 32FOV. That's a big leap so I tried it at 40 first and it was uncomfortable but I think I can get used to it and it started to feel better after a few laps and I was actually on pace with a previous best time at Magione. I only had a few minutes but it seems to only work in the cockpit cam, if you switch to the hood cam which is my preferred view for racing it's much wider. Can it be adjusted some other way or did I miss something? I'll experiment again first chance I get. Thanks for the support:)

I sometimes use Cockpit View but, as I've said before, without full head-tracking and peripheral vision it's not actually sim-like so I usually switch to HoodCam when I want to go faster.

Maybe once the Rift goes Consumer... ;)

Not sure about the other view cams, I only drive with cockpit view so that is the only experience I can share about what I have found out.
I had an idea. My TV is on a custom cabinet I made and it sits on it's stand about cm back from the edge. I never realized what a "thing" FOV would be with sims, only having spent any time with GT where of course it isn't adjustable. I was thinking I could make a sliding shelf and put the TV on that and gain another 20 cm towards me to help make the lower FOV work better and be the "proper" perspective. I'm going to look into that this weekend:cool:

Being relatively new to sim racing, I can relate to what the OP is saying a little. The first game I really got into was Raceroom Racing Exp. The cars are definitely more twitchy and easy to lose control, but at the same time when mastered give a tighter feeling of control. For some reason, I feel more like I am really there driving in RRRE and DO get a better feeling of speed. That is not to say it IS more realistic, just an observation from a non real-life racer, car enthusiast.

That said, i'm enjoying AC immensly and have been playing it much more lately. By tweaking the view and FOV/Triple screen settings i can get the feeling good, but still a step below RRRE, but the other advantages of the sim make up for it at the moment. I prefer AC right now.

I agree about the twitchyness of R3E cars. I drove a real (Factory) Cruze for three years and it handled a LOT better than the one in R3E. I have complained about this a few times, but some of it may be down to me not having any 'feel' from it like I had from my real track car. I'd love one of those 6DoF cage rigs that spin you about as they react to the g-forces on the car, but that's $40K I don't have available.:cautious:

I want to jump in a real BTCC/WTCC Cruze and take it for a spin just to see if it really is that twitchy, which I still do not believe. It just does not make sense to have a car be so unstable when you're trying to get it around a track quickly! I'd sack my engineer if my car had ever behaved like that - even though he was a friend and did it for free. :roflmao:

The cars in AC feel much more 'planted' and I like that about them. My race cars always felt planted and solid - I am the 'King of Understeer' :whistling: and happy that way. No twitchy back ends on my machines and they certainly didn't bounce around on rough patches on the straights either.

I'm going to grab my engineer buddy this XMas and get him to look at my R3E car and see if he can figure out why it's so unstable - I'm clueless at all that spring/damper/camber stuff. :notworthy:

I've done quite a bit of track lapping against the clock on paved tracks, rallying and up until I moved seven months ago...quite a bit of karting every month when time allowed.
The simracing offerings while better, always left something on the table...either the cars were too prone to spinning at ridiculously low speed, they sometimes wouldn't respond properly to steering inputs, you couldn't hang them out etc...
Assetto Corsa... while not perfect, is much closer to how race cars actually behave at both high and low speed.
The penalty system needs a better answer or to be amended to reduce the penalty time for off track incidents. We never lose that much in an actual off. Little things need fixing but overall, it's even closer.

...I only had a few minutes but it seems to only work in the cockpit cam, if you switch to the hood cam which is my preferred view for racing it's much wider. Can it be adjusted some other way or did I miss something? I'll experiment again first chance I get. Thanks for the support:)
I would actually buy a beer (non-alcoholic ofc:D) to anyone who can do that and could teach me how to do it for myself. But I think it can't be done. I'm cam edit nut and done that for rFactor, F1 challenge, GP4, GTR's, GT Legends, Race 07, F1 2014 and some more... and they all have option for FOV change on on board cams. But, amazingly, AC doesn't. :alien:
And not only that, can anyone tell me if we can edit cams (except for cockpit cam that you can edit from in game) for AC ? If I'm not wrong... we can only modify user-made cars, they have folder (from the top of my head, I don't have the game here) "data" and within it "car" file. Cameras are in it.
Anyone?

Last edited:
Join the racing club here and you'll soon see you are not fast enough. They have aliens here. :thumbsup:

I hear this guy is pretty fast :thumbsup:
393642.jpg

When i first bought the beta of AC (and got into sim racing) (the day it was released) the first car i tried was the 500. It possibly the most easiest car to relate to. I thought then it was the most realistic interpretation of racing/driving a car I've ever played. However since then I've tried Rf2 GSce,RRe etc etc. Now I'm pretty confused as to what feels real or not. SO many devs claim there sim has this and that and many people say this and that, they've driven this and it handles like that. Even real race drivers opinions are not considered valid as belief bring people thinking they've been paid off to make great comparisons..

I think if you to all the best bits from every sim, then that would be the ultimate race simulator. Individually as they stand they're not overly great packages, with more often than not something lets something down.

So what is nearest to the real thing? Take Rre AI, sound ….. take pcars visuals, ….RF2 physics engine,…. Gsce FFB and AC ability to make you feel at the wheel of a car. and of course Iracings MP.

then just then you may have something that resembles real life.

almost///

Last edited:
nah not at all its only my opinion.. With Rf2 i defo feel the car more and what the tyres are doing.

But as i said what exactly is the closest ill never know because il never race a track car at full potential.

I think Empty Box pretty much summed it up in one of his vids. There isn't really a sim which is truly better than the rest, it's all about each persons *perception* of how things should feel. Which is why most people here can't rate R3E highly enough, yet I dislike it. I used to think that AC was fantastic, and a few others would probably disagree with me.

Then I discovered GSCE ;)

Last edited:
hhhmm i agree dan,, ill have to watch this vid...

but i find gsce a bit like playing race07.. its good but doesnt really feel like your playing a game in 2014/! Suppose where i think it looks old i automatically judge it as inferior.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back