Assetto Corsa easy driving

Making sims more difficult than real life doesn't work either, though.

I have plenty of track experience in FWD cars, because they're cheap and easy to fix. Some of the so-called sims make them much twitchier to drive than they are in RL and then add to that difficulty by providing no g-force/slip angle/tyre grip feedback.

You do that, you're not a sim - you're an arcade game.
No one claimed making sims harder than real life was the way to go, this is the first time i have seen somebody say a more challenging driving model would be an arcade game treat though.
It's hard to comment on a vague statement like this without you specifying which car in which sim you are talking about. I don't disagree, i'm sure there are cars in sims that are harder to drive than they'd be in real life. However, because of the described lack of g-force/slip angle/tyre grip feedback i sure as hell don't expect sim cars to be easier to drive then their real life counterparts.
Regarding FWD physics, Live For Speed is still king for me personally, closely followed by Reizas Minis. I love the HistorX Minis too, have no experience in 60's cars or data to back up how accurate they are but they sure lean and slide as much as the ones in vintage racing videos do.
This is a telemetry comparison between the real life Mini Cooper Cup car and the GSCE one, seems pretty accurate to me:
221520_10151126097602743_1210099457_o.jpg

Last edited:
Usually such discussion strongly depend on our steering inputs. Even FOV can change so many in perception and immersion, right? So what could be easy for somebody can be calles iceRacing for another. Personally i never believed what we are driving here is "like reality".
Pixels on the screen. Thats all.
But i like it, i's really entertaining and brings a lot of impressions common to reality. Stress,
concentration, strategy etc.
And thats ok for me. Did I ever get a chance to drive LaFerrari or GT3 flat out? Probably no, so im happy with this what we have ;)

Interesting.
I was wondering... which FOV do you guys use ?
I use 50. And in some games even 48. But guess it differs from game to game.... :unsure:
It all depends of the screen ratio , screen size and distance from the screen your are driving from, so we are most likely not using the same FOV value, but if using the proper value for our set up all enjoying the right perspective and scale.
Use this for discovering the best value for your set up: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php.
you might also enjoy reading this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fov-opinions-please.95946/
:)

It all depends of the screen ratio , screen size and distance from the screen your are driving from, so we are most likely not using the same FOV value...
Thanks mate for your informative post but... :confused: it calculate me 15.6 FOV.
Omg. I guess I'll do some more calculations... :)
But I'm willing for some explorations. It doesn't cost me anything.

Last edited:
:confused: it calculate me 15.6 FOV.

Either you have a very small screen or you are seating to far from it, I hope for you it is the later.:unsure:
Try to put your screen right behind you wheel base, it should give you a distance to the screen of around 27 inches, if only for a test.
If you are using 50 now when the calculator says 15.6, brace yourself for a very different SIM experience. Being close to the screen with proper FOV will make you discover a new virtual world.

Assetto corsa and grid autosport are my 2 favourite sims at the moment they are what they are you either like them or u dont
Grid Autosport, though great fun, I'm afraid isn't a simulation game.
How about GSC, GTR, GT Legends or Grand Prix Legends then ?
(I joked in one PM today:laugh: that now I finaly realise woh they come up with the title - you have to be real legend just to circle circuit once without crashing. literally.:O_o:)
So, if the Grid A. is simulation, my question would be - what the hell is Grand Prix Legends ?
With some cars (like Lotus 49) on some tracks (like on old Monza) AC reminds me of the hard old GP Legends. Uh... those was the times... remember when some friends came to me and joked about how I drive with simplified model (like there's anything simplified in GPL), then they sit for a spin.
What? you've asked for their times? What.... times?? :O_o:
:laugh::rolleyes:
Either you have a very small screen or you are seating to far from it, I hope for you it is the later.:unsure:
Try to put your screen right behind you wheel base, it should give you a distance to the screen of around 27 inches, if only for a test.
If you are using 50 now when the calculator says 15.6, brace yourself for a very different SIM experience. Being close to the screen with proper FOV will make you discover a new virtual world.
I'm at work, so I calculate my numbers from top of my head, I got 22" monitor (or is it 21.5, not sure now) and I sit about one meter in front of the monitor, cause I lean back... to have more realistic position, I figured. :geek: Maybe I should starighten up and put monitor as close as my momo lets me.
Thank you very much once again for your time. You're such unselfish community member! :)

Jarek, I agree with every single one of your gripes about AC. I keep wanting to love it but I always end up going back to GSCE for some brilliant FFB and lively race cars. GSCE is my favorite sim right now but if given a choice to drive either AC or Project cars, I will choose PCars every time especially since SMS has started sorting out the FFB.

I am glad I got Ac when it was on half price sale a couple months back. Guess for half price I can't really complain much...heh.

I also prefer sims with a more consistent (better?) physics model than AC, does that mean i have to drive in the AC club and win every race too?
By that logic i should buy a horse and start being the worlds fastest jockey, because i don't care much about horses, either ;).

Having said that, physics are definitely a strong point of Assetto Corsa in my opinion, i simply enjoy those of GSCE, LFS & rF1 stuff by Niels Heusinkveld more.
I think some cars are very well done, especially the roadcars and a few racers like the E30 DTM.
Other cars i feel are to easy to drive (most of the race & hypercars) and lifeless, no matter how fast you go.
Quick example: My girlfriend recently crashed one of our cars while backing up into a parking spot. With a working parktronic :O_o:. She can go full throttle through Eau Rouge in AC's GT cars without any effort or big emotions.
I love her but i don't think she'll be able to do this irl :D.
The lack of speed sensation with a correct FOV paired with the very stable & grippy handling of some cars leaves me longing for more thrills more often then not.

Where AC let's me down the most though, is those little annoying arcadey "features", like not being able to put the gear in before the lights turn green, automatic pit limits & penalties, 10 lap races only and so on.
While it doesn't look bad i also dislike the UI, no proper chat funktion, no option to assign simple funtions to keyboard keys, that damage display thingy that pops up and shows tires being damaged while i gently release the clutch at 2000rpm and roll out of the box and a mouse pointer that shows up on screen everytime i touch the wheel.

What's up with the physics not working at very low speeds, will that ever be fixed? That's kind of a big deal to me also, i like my sims to be consitent and while donuts might not be the most important part of racing, i'd like to be able to do everything i can do in real life with a car. If only for the experience to feel more believable as a whole. And for starts to feel realistic, starts are part of racing and tend to happen at very low speeds ;).
While AC was in Early Access i felt like most of my concerns should (and eventually would) be easy to fix, since 1.0RC i think much of this might stay this way which is dissapointing.
Two years ago i would never have guessed i would prefer GSCE over AC, now i think it's MUCH better as a racing sim, Reiza has come a long way. No car in AC comes close to the raw and "analogue" feel of the Formula Vee in GSCE.
Two years ago Kunos announced they'd be working on and supporting AC for 5 years after release, yesterday i've read somewhere else they will be supporting AC for another year before they start working on AC2 :O_o:. Doesn't look like this will be a long term relationship.

I'd buy AC again first minute after knowing all this, as i will be buying the DLC and enjoying the hell out of the (green) hell and that 190Evo that i oh so desire.
We do need different approaches at physics and Kunos does lots of things right, they're among the best in the business and AC is well worth it's money.

I do think it's a bit overrated though and what's plainly annoying is that new trend of people thinking driving a car at the limit is a piece of cake because they never spin in their Ford Fiesta on the way to the grocery store.

Sorry, maybe I didn´t explain correctly.
In any case I wanted to say that AC was easy or even bad simulator.
Since I´ve been trying this pre-releases I´ve detected that the cars don´t loose traction when you push pedal to maximun. For example if you drive the pagani huayra, in the previous releases this was like a crazy cow, but really funny to drive, now you can push with no problem and you never loose traction.
They changed the default tire to slicks, you can swap to street tires and burn rubber like before.

I really like the physics and car balance in Assetto Corsa. Most race cars are tuned to be stable at speed and the drivers can request adjustments to shave time off of laps. Most sims default the cars to be unstable and you are encouraged to tinker with the settings to find what works. The KTM Crossbow is the only car I have felt was way off balance in the Assetto Corsa career mode. I am grateful.

I really like the physics and car balance in Assetto Corsa. Most race cars are tuned to be stable at speed and the drivers can request adjustments to shave time off of laps. Most sims default the cars to be unstable and you are encouraged to tinker with the settings to find what works. The KTM Crossbow is the only car I have felt was way off balance in the Assetto Corsa career mode. I am grateful.
I agree, except for the Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora...if these are considered "stable" out-of-the-box I must really suck, I despise these cars (and not just in AC). And if I had one of those IRL I would shoot it! ...my opinion.

I disagree with @William Wester about the Lotus.

I love the Evora GTC - it is very stable and easier to manage than the other GT cars. It may be slower overall, but at least I can keep it on the track for an hour in the Club Races. :D

I'm probably one of the few sim racers who does not 'know' the Nordschliefe. I just jumped on for the first time and, naturally, picked the Evora GTC to try out.

I had two offs where corners caught me by surprise and managed a very slow 9:19, but I was happy with the handling. It felt like a real car - just twitchy enough over the bumps, but not stupid under braking. :thumbsup:

In other news: That track scares the bejaysus out of me :coffee:

I have to admit that I like the Elise a lot, in standard setup.
I like how I can control where the nose is pointing just using the accelerator, if we get a 911 in the game I am expecting the same kind of fun.

"Cote Dazur, post: 1876020, member: 152302"]I have to admit that I like the Elise a lot, in standard setup.
I like how I can control where the nose is pointing just using the accelerator, if we get a 911 in the game I am expecting the same kind of fun.
I love the GSCE 911 mod by Patrick, my favorite! I stand by my dislike of the Lotus:)

It all depends of the screen ratio , screen size and distance from the screen your are driving from, so we are most likely not using the same FOV value, but if using the proper value for our set up all enjoying the right perspective and scale.
Use this for discovering the best value for your set up: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php.
you might also enjoy reading this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fov-opinions-please.95946/
:)
I've tried that calculator and it doesn't work for me. I get 29 degrees and the game is unplayable, so I set it to what I feel comfortable with which is the mid 50's. Out of curiousity, I pulled up a triangle calculator online and plugged in my distances and it tells me somewhere around 52-54 degrees internal angle of the triangle formed with my eye and the screen. Turns out to be very accurate in my case and both looks and feels right.

EDIT: If I change from AC to PCars in the Immersion App, I get 49.5 degrees.
EDIT2: Ok I think I figured it out. When I do the AC version it's listed as vFOV[degrees] and looks like this:

upload_2014-11-26_20-6-4.png

If I do the same measurements for Race 07', also listed as vFOV[degrees] I get this:

upload_2014-11-26_20-7-54.png

Is it possible the 50% figure is AC's setting and not the 29.1 degrees?

Last edited:
No, AC use degree and vertical FOV
Try sitting closer to your screen it will give a better FOV in term a spatial awareness. The calculator works.
Give it a try with the value you get, if you don't like it do what makes you happy.
What is the size of your screen?

Your screen is just really small. For reference: I use a 42" tv at 80cm from my eyes, gives me 38° FOV in AC, which is perfectly fine.

Think of the bezel of your screen as a window through which you can see everything in the right size and place. Imagine sitting in your car and having a frame in the size of your screen (22" diagonal) a meter from your eyes and you're looking through that and can not see anything outside the frame. Thats what a realistic FOV is like. Which is why you want a big frame close to you, or even three frames. On a 22" you will not be able to get anything satisfactory, since you wont get it much closer than 70cm. My suggestion for a satisfactory single screen setup is a large tv with low latency - 42", 46" or even 50".

No, AC use degree and vertical FOV
Try sitting closer to your screen it will give a better FOV in term a spatial awareness. The calculator works.
Give it a try with the value you get, if you don't like it do what makes you happy.
What is the size of your screen?
I have a 55" 120 HZ TV and I can't sit any closer without moving the monitor on top of my rig, which won't happen because it's my main TV. I move the rig in front of the tv when in use, and away when not. The TV sits on a custom stand that I built to hold the TV and all the components below including the PC, and I move the rig right in front, within a few cm's of the cabinet. My head is roughly 50" from the screen when seated. If I take the vertical measurement of the screen and calculate the angle I get about 28 degrees so it's obvious that the calculator is assuming that AC uses a vertical FOV. But I must be jaded from too much GT series because 29 is simply unplayable for me, it's like looking through binoculars and trying to drive and the motion seems totally unrealistic. I think my problem is that at 29 the car looks like the right perspective on screen but the motion doesn't look right if that makes sense. Whereas in the mid-50's the car looks unrealistic but the sense of motion and speed seems to work.

I did a quick search and found this video. It's by someone else but it's pretty much identical to what I use in game:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back