Assetto Corsa easy driving

Since 1.0 RC my feelings are that is too easy to drive, even with the TC set to cero.

Anybody think the same?
I agree to a point when comparing to some sims without any aids, but when I compare my times to the leaderboards then I know it feels easier as I'm driving within my comfort zone. Same IRL, I have done a little track time and my car felt very much in control - I didn't feel like I was driving on ice, but it takes guts (wallet couldn't take a big mistake!) and skill to turn a truly fast time. It's all relative...

A real race car feels very much in control at good speeds, and you stretch that control to reach the limits of the car. The goal of a race engineer is to make that scale as linear as possible and that has a lot to do with making the car "easy to drive". Stability is the leading indicator beyond your own limits, and knowing what and when things get unstable.

I've been racing things for nearly 30 years and sims are a whole lot harder to master. It's like a paraplegic driver in a game since you have no sensation below your shoulders... And why good sim drivers make good real drivers if given a fair amount of real seat time... They simple learn "so that's what it really feels like" and have 10x more indicators than a video game/sim.

But there is a zenith, if you pour in enough laps in a game, hundreds, your brain very slowly starts filling in that gap of sensation below to waist... It finds other ways to compensate, much like loosing a sence and your other senses get heightened. And that's when sim driving start getting really fun...

Track days are easy, racing is never easy even for the best drivers. If you think AC is easy, or even GT 5/6 for that matter, or even iRacing, your not trying hard enough and your missing out on what makes handling a fast car so exciting... It's a game changer that I'm still working on in AC... It just takes time.

The diffrence between a fast lap and a quick lap is night and day.

Sorry, maybe I didn´t explain correctly.
In any case I wanted to say that AC was easy or even bad simulator.
Since I´ve been trying this pre-releases I´ve detected that the cars don´t loose traction when you push pedal to maximun. For example if you drive the pagani huayra, in the previous releases this was like a crazy cow, but really funny to drive, now you can push with no problem and you never loose traction.

These guys are right ganso2014. The tire model got better since last few patches. You feel the tires more now. It applies to all the cars. The feeling is more progressive, but if you push it harder and harder you will eventually find spots where it's starting to brake away and snap. This can never be rooted out. It is what makes it exciting.

You'll find a way to take a new line thru the corner, perhaps carry more speed and suddenly the car will again start being looser on traction in your case. Drivers are always told to relax because you get hyper sensitive and you don't want to react to things that didn't really happen. But, in no way is ever any race a relaxed experience. Even with the grippiest and slowest car, if simulated good enough the limit will always have that scare dare dose of itself.

I think too many people think that difficulty = realism (ahem, Empty Box, Simpit, ISR. Six and one half dozen of the other, they're all the same thing).
I'm not saying that driving a racing car is easy, far from it. It's just not as difficult as spinning out in the pitlane at 10kph (a la iRacing), which is ridiculous.

Assetto Corsa has felt more natural to me than anything else I've driven. If I drive the fiat 500 for example, the weight transfer, and the grip and feeling I get from the tyres feels very much the same as the feeling I get from driving my real car on the road.

Arcady?

The car feel more natural. That makes it feel easier and predictable under control, but still, try to drive fast to the limit and you will struggle as always.

The Lotus 49 feels more like a real and not that insane monster it was, very fun indeed to drive, on Grand Prix Legends.

The cars in AC are not arcade...not by a long shot,
They're a lot more realistic in their handling than some would like to believe.
Some people like to believe the more complex a task looks, the more difficult it is.
In a lot of cases the exact opposite is true.
Take my job for instance. I fix business jets.
I can't tell you how many times somebody, with little knowledge of turbine engines will walk into the hangar, see me working on a TFE731 or Rolls Royce Spey or Tay and remark "That looks really difficult".
The reality is, in a lot of ways it's much more simple than a piston engine.
It's just perception...and the unknown.
That same mentality holds true with race cars.
Some people who've only ever seen one go around a race track, automatically come to the conclusion it's the hardest thing to do.
Like my job, it takes precision and attention to detail but I could train anybody to do it...anybody.

Last edited:
Yes correct it has gone a bit Arcady....so the masses also can drive it you know..:coffee:
the easiest way to get it confirmed take a spin in the Lotus 49

Stig Bidstrup

Have you tried it with no aids in a club or league race here at RD? It's not easy by any means. I bow down to your super skills if you think it really is easy. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
You could clean up in races here if you are that good. Be the best.

Last edited:
Have you tried it with no aids in a club or league race here at RD? It's not easy by any means. I bow down to your super skills if you think it really is easy. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
You could clean up in races here if you are that good. Be the best.
You cant bow so low @Andy Jackson :p;) yes I race here but rarely in the AC club
after the update I tried the Cobra....and found out that it could hardly do a donut with
modern tyres---it can with classic tyres..just about.. on a DUSTY track
and off course no one will use the classic tyres ONLINE..am I right :coffee:
that kind of physics disappointed me in a big way...they have made a HUGE change in driveability
with the 1,0 update that made it more forgiving to drive....I didn't use the A word there ;)
here at RD I race GSC 2013 and in the HistorX racing Club ( rfactor ) where physics are a challenge
and the Sign up Lists in GSC 2013 speaks for them self that's what Sim racers want CHALLENGE.

Video: physics pure latest race in HistorX

These guys are right ganso2014. The tire model got better since last few patches. You feel the tires more now. It applies to all the cars. The feeling is more progressive, but if you push it harder and harder you will eventually find spots where it's starting to brake away and snap. This can never be rooted out. It is what makes it exciting.

You'll find a way to take a new line thru the corner, perhaps carry more speed and suddenly the car will again start being looser on traction in your case. Drivers are always told to relax because you get hyper sensitive and you don't want to react to things that didn't really happen. But, in no way is ever any race a relaxed experience. Even with the grippiest and slowest car, if simulated good enough the limit will always have that scare dare dose of itself.
Ok, niki, I´ll try.

I also prefer sims with a more consistent (better?) physics model than AC, does that mean i have to drive in the AC club and win every race too?
By that logic i should buy a horse and start being the worlds fastest jockey, because i don't care much about horses, either ;).

Having said that, physics are definitely a strong point of Assetto Corsa in my opinion, i simply enjoy those of GSCE, LFS & rF1 stuff by Niels Heusinkveld more.
I think some cars are very well done, especially the roadcars and a few racers like the E30 DTM.
Other cars i feel are to easy to drive (most of the race & hypercars) and lifeless, no matter how fast you go.
Quick example: My girlfriend recently crashed one of our cars while backing up into a parking spot. With a working parktronic :O_o:. She can go full throttle through Eau Rouge in AC's GT cars without any effort or big emotions.
I love her but i don't think she'll be able to do this irl :D.
The lack of speed sensation with a correct FOV paired with the very stable & grippy handling of some cars leaves me longing for more thrills more often then not.

Where AC let's me down the most though, is those little annoying arcadey "features", like not being able to put the gear in before the lights turn green, automatic pit limits & penalties, 10 lap races only and so on.
While it doesn't look bad i also dislike the UI, no proper chat funktion, no option to assign simple funtions to keyboard keys, that damage display thingy that pops up and shows tires being damaged while i gently release the clutch at 2000rpm and roll out of the box and a mouse pointer that shows up on screen everytime i touch the wheel.

What's up with the physics not working at very low speeds, will that ever be fixed? That's kind of a big deal to me also, i like my sims to be consitent and while donuts might not be the most important part of racing, i'd like to be able to do everything i can do in real life with a car. If only for the experience to feel more believable as a whole. And for starts to feel realistic, starts are part of racing and tend to happen at very low speeds ;).
While AC was in Early Access i felt like most of my concerns should (and eventually would) be easy to fix, since 1.0RC i think much of this might stay this way which is dissapointing.
Two years ago i would never have guessed i would prefer GSCE over AC, now i think it's MUCH better as a racing sim, Reiza has come a long way. No car in AC comes close to the raw and "analogue" feel of the Formula Vee in GSCE.
Two years ago Kunos announced they'd be working on and supporting AC for 5 years after release, yesterday i've read somewhere else they will be supporting AC for another year before they start working on AC2 :O_o:. Doesn't look like this will be a long term relationship.

I'd buy AC again first minute after knowing all this, as i will be buying the DLC and enjoying the hell out of the (green) hell and that 190Evo that i oh so desire.
We do need different approaches at physics and Kunos does lots of things right, they're among the best in the business and AC is well worth it's money.

I do think it's a bit overrated though and what's plainly annoying is that new trend of people thinking driving a car at the limit is a piece of cake because they never spin in their Ford Fiesta on the way to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Making sims more difficult than real life doesn't work either, though.

I have plenty of track experience in FWD cars, because they're cheap and easy to fix. Some of the so-called sims make them much twitchier to drive than they are in RL and then add to that difficulty by providing no g-force/slip angle/tyre grip feedback.

You do that, you're not a sim - you're an arcade game.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%