Assetto Corsa developers, are they really this childish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember myself getting instantly banned on Assetto Corsa forum on questioning something really simple and not so big of a deal, this was in 2013 or 2014 I think. I have read a lot of other people getting banned too, for no real reason. The developers act like dictators and attack you with insults if you doubt or question any of the content in game.

This time it really went far. In short, Fredrik Sørlie is trying to mod his own car ingame, those who don't know him, you can find him on youtube easily.
Pretty much he was just trying to get help from the developers figuring things out, and the developer went nuts. Here is a screenshot of the developer acting like Kim Jong-un.

Really out of words..

lvzbakshd72xtry0oqcf.jpg

I find it incredible that Stefano is actually getting some support over this matter. Yes, he's a very talented developer. Yes, Assetto Corsa is his baby. Yes, it's a bloody good sim. Yes, we can all understand being passionate and wanting to defend something you've poured your heart and soul into. For me, none of those things are up for debate.

But the long and short of it is that his behaviour was nothing short of disgusting, and there's no excuse for it. You can get angry, heated, and passionate while still maintaining manners and respect, and certainly without resorting to outright flaming. End of.

I find it incredible that Stefano is actually getting some support over this matter. Yes, he's a very talented developer. Yes, Assetto Corsa is his baby. Yes, it's a bloody good sim. Yes, we can all understand being passionate and wanting to defend something you've poured your heart and soul into. For me, none of those things are up for debate.

But the long and short of it is that his behaviour was nothing short of disgusting, and there's no excuse for it. You can get angry, heated, and passionate while still maintaining manners and respect, and certainly without resorting to outright flaming. End of.
I guess it's possible to get angry while still being respectful but I haven't seen much of that in the real world and I come from a country where you call your friends cunts. It could also be said that you don't have to get upset about something some guy you've never met said on the internet. Why bother getting upset about it?

yep ... I blame internet ... :)

I think you get me wrong on purpose here, dude. I never asked them how to improve my mod. How did you get that impression? Maybe I came across as demanding or cocky in my first post, but I assure you that was unintentional. I simply misjudged the mood of the official forums.

None of my values are random, and I can see what they do in the tyre tester (not all that crazy the way I look at it). No matter what the numbers say, they don't change the behaviour of the car though. And no, the issues can not be easily fixed with slightly different tyre parameters. I can get one or the other, but not both. With Kunos' values I get understeer when turning in, no matter what. And as soon as I apply throttle I get oversteer. In compressions I lose grip and the grip will increase over a crest. That makes no sense, but it's all consistent with my theory that grip drops when load is added in both directions at the same time! Or it might just drop too fast. No way for me to verify this. Keep in mind, the car I am working on is a low grip car with a live axle and a welded diff. As soon as I open the diff up and give it a bit more grip, the issues are way less noticeable.

Anyway. This is not something that can be covered in a forum post, but I'm be happy to learn more and get a better understanding of the tyres. It's a black art, and even if my numbers are wrong, they are giving me the answers I was looking for.
Seems to me you basically want a tyre who keeps delivering a big increase of lateral grip when under an increase in vertical load and a "squarer" friction circle. Both these things afaik are easily achievable without going crazy on LS_EXPX or anything else.

Just to add, values close to 0 (but not 0 itself) have basically no load sensitivity in the other sense - they provide a constant peak lateral force at any load, eg. if you set fz0 = 3000 and dy_ref=1, you'll have a peak of 3000N lateral force regardless what force is on the tire, so car weight and aero do nothing.

Values below 0 invert the curve, higher loads = lower overall forces.

Let me start by giving a public tip to Kunos. Go to your forum profile and disable your private messages and stop communicating if you aren't capable of having a normal mature conversation with your fans, customers and criticasters.

Secondly regardless of who is wrong or right I am not happy that thread was started today after I explained to the OP per email why it won't help.

The thread will get out of hand. People will break our forum rules and posts will be edited or deleted which contain abusive content and RD will be called the nazi moderators because of it.

Nothing good comes from this endless bickering about a private conversations between two people that aren't even actively participating in this discussion anymore that has now gone public.

Not defending Stefano here as I have had my moments with him (and Marco) as well but we all know by now he and many other sim racing devs and ceo's are not the fun guys to go to for a good text chat about their products. A real life face to face conversation however is surprisingly entertaining and informative.

Stefano sometimes comes across like an odd one. But you need to be an odd one to create a great video game like Assetto Corsa.

100% perfect people aren't capable of creating a special video game.

With that let's end the discussion here as it will not be resolved.

iPhone. iTypos. iApologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back