Assetto Corsa Competizione, The Official Blancpain GT Series Game Announced!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Top GT3 licence, UE4 graphics, day to night cycle, dynamic weather, advanced physics with a focus on realism.. is Assetto Corsa Competizione the sim we've all been waiting for?

When Kunos Simulazioni hinted at a big announcement a few days ago, many thought it would simply be a case of confirming another licence for the already well developed Assetto Corsa software, or at the very most a potential AC2 first announcement. Not so, the team over in Italy have been hard at work behind the scenes developing a very exciting new piece of software, and what is more the new Assetto Corsa Competizione title will focus on a single racing category, the incredible Blancpain Endurance GT3 series.. a welcome hark back to the days when racing simulation developers focussed all their attention to detail on a specific racing series, something that Kunos are keen to replication with this newly announced IP.

Assetto Corsa Competizione 1.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione 4.jpg

Set to feature a pretty significant shift away from the basis of the Assetto Corsa title we all know and love, Kunos have confirmed that AC Competizione will feature what are described as "photo realistic" graphics thanks to the use of the incredibly powerful Unreal Engine 4 graphics engine, allowing Kunos to move away from the single light source solution of Assetto Corsa and finally bring both time of day and weather effects to their racing game - a must when you consider the Spa 24 Hour is a key event in the real life Blancpain championship.

Assetto Corsa Competizione 3.jpg

As well as the obvious visual benefits brought from a move to Unreal 4 (see screenshots attached to this article), another key talking point from the simulation announcement comes by way of confirmation that Kunos are looking to build a sizable offline career mode around the new game, with driving school tutorials making a welcome return to a popular modern day simulation.

Alongside what promises to be a substantial offline element, the initial press release indicates that Kunos are also aiming to make considerable changes to the way Assetto Corsa veterans experience online play, with an eye on the emerging eSport marketplace the Italian developers are promising a well rounded ranking and matchmaking online system, potentially encouraging a much more evenly balanced online experience and less of those famous public lobby first corner crashes...

Assetto Corsa Competizione 6.jpg

Although only initially announced this afternoon, it looks like development is well on the way with this exceptionally exciting new title. Projected for a summer Steam EA release, I'll leave you with the new trailer to get the juices flowing for now...

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. We host quality League and Club Racing events, have a selection of fantastic mods to download and some of the best community conversation. Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited? Looking forward to the new title? Let us know below!
cleardot.gif

@Patrik Marek if you look at the last Interview with @stefano he said the last "minor" update was done for modders, so like I agree with you, removing this feature would be a back step.

Also, a one series sim is fantastic and no doubt the Blancpain is massive, but this is all about endurance. What about pick up races, I mean the people that cannot sit in a seat for hours on end? Will they encounter for people like me :D

Final note also, so many people have moaned about AC and online racing, that all you find is GT racing, now with this news, its all about GT racing and everybody is hyped all of a sudden :O_o:

Don't get me wrong (flame proof suit on) I am well up for this, but #justsaying :D

@Patrik Marek if you look at the last Interview with @stefano he said the last "minor" update was done for modders, so like I agree with you, removing this feature would be a back step.

Also, a one series sim is fantastic and no doubt the Blancpain is massive, but this is all about endurance. What about pick up races, I mean the people that cannot sit in a seat for hours on end? Will they encounter for people like me :D

Final note also, so many people have moaned about AC and online racing, that all you find is GT racing, now with this news, its all about GT racing and everybody is hyped all of a sudden :O_o:

Don't get me wrong (flame proof suit on) I am well up for this, but #justsaying :D

for me modding was really the only reason why I put so many hours into AC, so if the new game was only a racing , eventhough I really love the idea that they are going to do more proper career mode, I wouldn't expect to spend more then say 30-40 hours in it, .. eventhough this to me woudl still be money well spend anyhow,

but yeah, sounds really promising, and if there is going to be early acess, I will definitely sign up for it , but I don't expect to see modding tools opened before it's released

anyhow, not bad announcement,
I do wonder what does this mean for AC 2 ?? ... is this AC2? , or is this AC 1.5 and AC2 will still be coming ??
only time will tell

Yeah same here, this could be awesome!

2018 shaping up nicely I reckon... :)

As if you didn't know :inlove:, you did say at the start of the Year, that there is going to be a lot of good News for sim racers this year.

And during your Kunos interview at the sim racing expo 2017, I am One Hundred percent sure the image behind Stefano was a porche on a wet nordschleife at night :thumbsup: it was a hidden sneak peak, that I spotted, and it looks exactly like the video shown.

I'm hyped.. shame my old pc won't handle the Unreal Engine for sure... Maybe it's time for an upgrade :D

Even a Sandwich maker PC can handle the UE4, it is a very well optimized middle ware graphics engine.

For those interested in following this new title, do so by following it on steam and adding it to your steam wish list, the developer gets all the information from steam, when you have added it to your wishlist and follow it, steam is a wealth of information for games developers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/805550/Assetto_Corsa_Competizione/

I'll buy it if it's as or more realistic as rF2 and less simcadey like AC was which I'm extremely doubtful it will happen. Until the sales offering AMS and rF2 before year end, my AC adventures only lasted 2 months which died after the new year and not touched it since. Because of lack of suitable mods in rF2, not done it much but focused on rF1 then AMS and never looked back since.

Like PCars 1, brought it with so much optimism only for it to die fast which I have to view this with cynicism.

for me modding was really the only reason why I put so many hours into AC, so if the new game was only a racing , eventhough I really love the idea that they are going to do more proper career mode, I wouldn't expect to spend more then say 30-40 hours in it, .. eventhough this to me woudl still be money well spend anyhow,

but yeah, sounds really promising, and if there is going to be early acess, I will definitely sign up for it , but I don't expect to see modding tools opened before it's released

anyhow, not bad announcement,
I do wonder what does this mean for AC 2 ?? ... is this AC2? , or is this AC 1.5 and AC2 will still be coming ??
only time will tell
Wouldn't this just be the first steps towards AC2. I would hope they would leave this game without the option to mod, allowing the follow up AC2 to be the modding platform as AC1 is now.
Get the basics right in this game and add all of it and more to AC2.
So basically treat the AC platform as the modders platform and any standalone titles like this as just complete packages.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%