Assetto Corsa coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2016

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
Assetto Corsa Goes Console.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni has announced Assetto Corsa will be available on Xbox One and Playstation 4 in 2016.

After rumors and pictures of the Playstation 4 developer kit floating around the Kunos Simulazioni office, it is now officially confirmed: the Italian studio will team up with 505 Games to bring Assetto Corsa to the Playstation 4 and Xbox One platforms (full press release below). The popular racing sim will appear in console-land in 2016, though there's no exact release date for now.

You can take a look at the console launch trailer above, and interestingly, it looks like the console version will feature all the contents released so far on PC along with some spiffy new toys like the Audi R8 LMS Ultra, the Bonus pack cars like the Toyota GT86, the Audi Quattro and what looks like the 2015 Ferrari F1 car.

It'll be interesting to see if the team will update Assetto Corsa's core features for the console release, or perhaps add a slightly more fleshed out career mode.

What do you think of Assetto Corsa going to console? Let us know in the comments!

Calabasa, Calif. – June 3, 2015 – 505 Games today announced a partnership with Italian developer Kunos Simulazioni to publish the current generation console versions of Assetto Corsa, the highly acclaimed racing game. Currently available on Steam, Assetto Corsa is regarded as one of the most authentic racing simulators on the market.

Aptly branded “Your Racing Simulator,” Assetto Corsa ups the simulation stakes by emphasizing and focusing on pure physics realism, with precision accuracy across every aspect from the meticulousness car handling to the laser-measured tracks.

The standout stars of the game are of course the cars themselves; Assetto Corsa has partnered with the most prestigious automotive manufacturers to license life-like models of the genre’s biggest stars, from Ferrari to Fiat, from McLaren to Mercedes, and Lamborghini to Lotus.

Players are able to further deepen their playing experience by adjusting the handling and race set-up of each and every car in-game, whereby cars can be individually tuned to cater for your personal racing style. The overall racing experience can be further modified by adjusting everything from driver attributes to collision damage, to deliver a thrilling and true racing experience. All of these features together breed the realism that Assetto Corsa is known and celebrated for.

Making its console debut in 2016, Assetto Corsa will bring specific features such as
  • Over one hundred high-performance cars, including the Team Lotus 98T, the Pagani Zonda R, the Ferrari LaFerrari, the Mercedes C9 and the McLaren MP4-12C GT3
  • Over twenty different track configurations, including famed courses such as Silverstone Circuit, Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Autodromo Nazionale Monza, and Nürburgring-Nordschleife
  • Single and Multiplayer racing modes, with customizable Race Weekends, preset Challenges or full-scale Career Mode
  • Refined race-craft AI, with up to twenty-four cars competing for the podium places in the PC version of the game
Based in Rome, Kunos Simulazioni is a development studio specializing in the creation of business simulators for the most influential Italian automotive companies – including Ferrari. This collaboration diversifies 505 Games’ product portfolio with the addition of a high-octane adrenaline pumping racing title.

Asseto Corsa will be making its E3 debut this year showcasing brand new PC content, and will be released on PS4 and XBOX One in 2016. Assetto Corsa is available now for PC download via STEAM.

good for kunos but bad for us pc racers i feel
I think it's good news for all AC fans. It shows they're definitely going to be developing the game into next year, I had been somewhat concerned that they'd lose interest in the game now that it was officially released and they'd made the bulk of the money available on the PC market. The console market gives them a new goal and new money to chase.

Everything that people complain is lacking in AC, namely the single player side of things will need to be introduced to the game before it can hit the console market. This means better AI, better single player campaign, single player pit stops. Now Kunos have a very real reward waiting for them when they complete these features.

I don't see them ditching their trump card of physics for the console market, it's the one thing that makes AC stand out from the crowd and simplifying it would mean they have little to offer over every other game on the console market.

I read that interview about the console version and it seems like Kunos might be dragging some sim peripheral makers with them onto the console market. This will ultimately lead to more value and choice due to there being a bigger market.

I've had no complaints with Kunos, I don't see them changing their entire ethos for the console market, they've set themselves apart as being dedicated to superb physics and they're taking a bit of a gamble going into the console market. I think us PC users should be supportive and promote the title to our friends with consoles because I do think every sale they make on console is going to benefit us PC users in the long run.

The PC will always be the ultimate gaming machine, it will always have the best gaming experience possible but anything that can be done to reduce our costs should be seen as a good thing. So let Kunos tap the console market for cash, I'm pretty certain we'll benefit from it.

Maybe the physics model is simplified already. It does play play pretty well on a Xbox 360 pad as it is.
Good point.I play on the PC,and cannot understand why people think it will be simplified. Just because we use the PC doesn't mean we can handle the car's better.Or the console's can't handle the physics. These are outdated views.

Good for business, bad for integrity of the community?

I gave up on console gaming with Gran Turismo after about 500,000km of racing from GT1 to GT5, being tired of not having that REAL SIM RACING DEAL I was looking for all these years.
So I sold my PS4 with GT5 and bought myself a decent pc with AC Early Acces. Now I do have the real deal, but I lack features GT did offer me on PS4 like easy online racing, decent (not impressive but still) AI behaviour and a nice career mode.
And now they announce, before even mentioning healing all these issues, AC is going to consoles. Did I just cheat myself again???!!!
I sincerely hope Kunos keeps in mind that this community helped them to become what they are now, and that they address to our needs FIRST before launching themselves into the endless vastness of console space.
Oh and by the way...they SHOULD make the mods work for PS and XBOX so that modders deserve the attention they are entitled too and all those console gamers can see what the REAL possibilities are when gaming on pc.
If they want to do something in return for this community I would like to see some money on the table for all the fantastic car, skin, track and whatever mods for them to use in console world and fix the damn MP and AI issues stande pede.
I am sure they will make some nice money with this, time to pay their debts to the community then.
I do realize however Kunos did a fantastic job on the physics and worked enormously hard on reaching the potential they had in mind, I thank them for offering me the opportunity to get myself known for skin modding (without AC Sunny Sky Speed Skins wouldn't have existed) and wish them the best of luck. Just don't forget about your roots, Kunos, keep the feet on the ground which formed the base for your succes today: pc ground.
One thing is for sure, I am not going back to black.

Just because we use the PC doesn't mean we can handle the car's better.Or the console's can't handle the physics. These are outdated views.
The viewpoint of a publisher on this topic:

Console games are played by people who want to have fun for 15-60 minutes 2-3 times a week and therefore are not interested in investing any time in learning something.
Pick up your controller and feel like a hero on the get-go.

Lowering the threshold and shortening game sessions by game design is what has happened over the past 10 years to all genres to appeal more to this audience.

A console controller isn't a very precise input device and it's short on available buttons.
(Double-keybinding is just a thing because consoles don't have 100+ keys available)
So how are you countering that?
* Be more forgiving with steering input and throttle/breaking inputs.
* Make sidestrips (gras most often) less lethal
* Increase damage resistance

Which doesn't matter if that only applies to the console version, but as this means more development time to have more than 1 version around, such changes are usually applied to all versions of the game.

I give Kunos the benefit of doubt, but i'm around for too long to be as optimistic as some here.

The viewpoint of a publisher on this topic:

Console games are played by people who want to have fun for 15-60 minutes 2-3 times a week and therefore are not interested in investing any time in learning something.
Pick up your controller and feel like a hero on the get-go.

Lowering the threshold and shortening game sessions by game design is what has happened over the past 10 years to all genres to appeal more to this audience.

A console controller isn't a very precise input device and it's short on available buttons.
(Double-keybinding is just a thing because consoles don't have 100+ keys available)
So how are you countering that?
* Be more forgiving with steering input and throttle/breaking inputs.
* Make sidestrips (gras most often) less lethal
* Increase damage resistance

Which doesn't matter if that only applies to the console version, but as this means more development time to have more than 1 version around, such changes are usually applied to all versions of the game.

I give Kunos the benefit of doubt, but i'm around for too long to be as optimistic as some here.
I doubt Kunos will break what they have going for them in hopes they do really well on console, we are the primary simracing platform.
Maybe i'm the crazy optimistic here, but this seems like the reverse situation we usually get "we already got X millions from consoles, might as well port to the PC and make a few more there"

Maybe i'm crazy but making a bog standard console racer, with short races only (ironically long races can't be done properly in AC right now and will probably be added in time for the console launch) and forgiving physics, doesn't benefit Kunos in anyway, it makes them one more in the crowd with no stand out features and that falls short in others.
Kunos won't match GT, Forza or Pcars for sheer volume of content, they need something else as their selling point.

Plus the options to soften your inputs are already in the game.

The "negative" is that in case Assetto Corsa is a big hit on consoles, we might get AC2 in a couple of years rather than Kunos keeping AC as an ongoing project.

What's wrong guys? Since the beginning, a console version wasn't so unlikely. Do you remember? Joy support with dedicated helps, a guy with menus very console-like…

Regarding the 60 FPS on consoles, seems it's not a mandatory feature, yet. Just look at the competitors...

In the end, this will bring more money to develop the game. I don't think this will harm pc players… indeed, I think quite the opposite.

Well then MODS MUST be made available for consoles so the MODDING COMMUNITY can benefit a bit more, maybe even make some money out of it for those fortunate...AT LEAST shown some respect for the huge amount of work they have done to improve the game and content.
Why not make quality mods available for free or low fee on consoles? Why is it only at RaceDepartmet they understand the modding communities efforts? Or in my Livery Designers group on fb? They go worldwide with Assetto Corsa, our modding work should go world wide!!
I am currently very busy with the Livery Designers group to put the skin modding community on the virtual world map, because KUNOS isn't!!

Well then MODS MUST be made available for consoles
I absolutely don't see your point.
Okay, if you want to make money with it, i can understand, but why are free mods so much of a core feature on consoles for you?

The problem here is that Sony and MS are the limiting factor.
Every change made to a game on console needs to be verified by Sony/MS before it's allowed to be sent out to the consoles.
It would mean: Strict regulation for mod designers, denied content left and right and not to forget that this validation process has to be paid by the content provider.

So, if Sony/MS haven't changed their whole patching process (once there were talks about easier patching for small studios) i don't see any chance for that to happen.

If modders want to earn money in consoles they are going to have to pay licenses too so its not a good business I guess...

In pc its easier I think to share a mod and ask simply for a donation.

I dont see the mclaren f1 or the miura mods in a ps4 withouth before paying huge money for licensing.

And AC is what it is because of its own. I barely use modded content And I dont believe Kunos got to give back anything to modders (shelby cobra? They paid the license and included it with mention to creators). They give you the tools to create content IF YOU WANT, because they know People always ask for hundreds of tracks and cars and they Cant afford that. But as I said, I only play official content And 2 or 3 modded one because most of the time (IN MY OPINION), mods just make AC experience worse.

Im not against modders neither modding comunity. I like some works and I understand some People will like some I dont like. I simply wanted to say that modding in consoles is not that easy and that we must Thank Kunos for giving us the oportunity of being modfriendly. Others arent.

I absolutely don't see your point.
Okay, if you want to make money with it, i can understand, but why are free mods so much of a core feature on consoles for you?

The problem here is that Sony and MS are the limiting factor.
Every change made to a game on console needs to be verified by Sony/MS before it's allowed to be sent out to the consoles.
It would mean: Strict regulation for mod designers, denied content left and right and not to forget that this validation process has to be paid by the content provider.

So, if Sony/MS haven't changed their whole patching process (once there were talks about easier patching for small studios) i don't see any chance for that to happen.
Kunos started a livery contest, with custom skins being selected for their official game, I presume also for the console platforms. Why is it so hard to understand for them and for you I as modder seek recognition, respect and reward not only by this community or RD (which I already get) but also by the creators of the game.
You know what RD awarded me for making them the templates and skins for their BMW M235i RC and overseeing the whole skin pack to adjust if necessary? Premium membership and free publicity by live world wide broadcast, THAT is reward, respect and recognition! I made a Livery Designers group for the Sim Racing Community where skin modders, league organisers and team owners can come and meet each other, help each other out and work for each other in personal agreement. That is showing respect to this community, helping them to find some proper publicity and reward.
Kunos hase done zero on that subject, I am really curious what reward they will give the livery contest winners for their work....a little anouncement maybe?
Why is it so hard for them to fix all the issues this community has tested and told and reported repeatedly?! Netcode, 64 bit version, MP, AI, career....? Yet they have the nerve to anounce launch on console without even having a complete game on their hands.
I am pissed about all this and therefore not amused with Kunos, as usual.

If modders want to earn money in consoles they are going to have to pay licenses too so its not a good business I guess...

In pc its easier I think to share a mod and ask simply for a donation.

I dont see the mclaren f1 or the miura mods in a ps4 withouth before paying huge money for licensing.

And AC is what it is because of its own. I barely use modded content And I dont believe Kunos got to give back anything to modders (shelby cobra? They paid the license and included it with mention to creators). They give you the tools to create content IF YOU WANT, because they know People always ask for hundreds of tracks and cars and they Cant afford that. But as I said, I only play official content And 2 or 3 modded one because most of the time (IN MY OPINION), mods just make AC experience worse.

Im not against modders neither modding comunity. I like some works and I understand some People will like some I dont like. I simply wanted to say that modding in consoles is not that easy and that we must Thank Kunos for giving us the oportunity of being modfriendly. Others arent.
Yeah GTA is a nice example of that, what a bold move on the modding community. Look, I am pretty new in the modding world, I have my very own personal renewing thoughts on how a skin modding community should behave and should be recognized by thebig players in thegame world and I will succed in my very own way toput us skin modders on the map.
End of my case, no comment anymore.

I as modder seek recognition, respect and reward
If your mod doesn't reel in more sales, then i don't see why Kunos should come towards you and reward you for your work.

It's like asking Square Enix to send you keys for their new game because you made a youTube video on an old one which got 5.000 views.

Call me ignorant, but i don't know who the creator of the mods are that i use and i'm very sure that most people are like me.
Somebody made Donington Park for AC - no clue who it was.
Somebody made the Porsche vs Ferrari mod for GSCE - no clue who it was.
I also don't know who made the Counterstrike mod, or the TF2 mod, or the LOL mod...

I understand your desire for recognition, but for consoles i doubt we'll see something like that.

Yeah GTA is a nice example of that, what a bold move on the modding community. Look, I am pretty new in the modding world, I have my very own personal renewing thoughts on how a skin modding community should behave and should be recognized by thebig players in thegame world and I will succed in my very own way toput us skin modders on the map.
End of my case, no comment anymore.

Wish you do success.

If your mod doesn't reel in more sales, then i don't see why Kunos should come towards you and reward you for your work.

It's like asking Square Enix to send you keys for their new game because you made a youTube video on an old one which got 5.000 views.

Call me ignorant, but i don't know who the creator of the mods are that i use and i'm very sure that most people are like me.
Somebody made Donington Park for AC - no clue who it was.
Somebody made the Porsche vs Ferrari mod for GSCE - no clue who it was.
I also don't know who made the Counterstrike mod, or the TF2 mod, or the LOL mod...

I understand your desire for recognition, but for consoles i doubt we'll see something like that.
I never asked for money for any mod up to now. Reward doesn't necessary translate in money, given the example of RD and the fact I soon will be skin modding for a business guy with his own race car and that my skins with his logo's will form the base for his real car skin. That is true reward with a possible contract or money fee attached. I guess individuals help each other out like in real life. Maybe I ask too much for some people.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%