Assetto Corsa: Bonus Pack unveiled

02.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have revealed details and screenshots for the upcoming free Bonus Pack to be released as part of the 1.2 update for Assetto Corsa in July.

The pack will consist of five cars and one track, but will be a free DLC for all Assetto Corsa owners. The Bonus Pack contains:
  • Alfa Romeo Mito Quadrifoglio Verde
  • Audi Sport Quattro
  • Lamborghini Miura
  • Nissan Nismo GT-R
  • Toyota GT-86
  • Circuit of Zandvoort
Check out some pictures of the Bonus Pack below. Look at the rest in our RaceTube.

01.jpg 07.jpg 012.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 019.jpg 02.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I guess he based himself on the same principle, that tires in AC are just a plastic shape, because he doesn't see them flex.
He forgot to think that all this is simulated in the physics engine, and you can also feel in the FFB the tires changing shape when you steer. There's also tire graining, flat spot, blistering. This again isn't visual, but is in the physics and ffb.
"He based himself on the principle" of taking a good look at data\tyres.ini of any non-encrypted car and comparing it to what can be found here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/
Files of interest there are "TireTool Quickstart" and "TGM Tire Examples".
Also, ask yourself why AC can run this good on an outdated CPU? Because it's heavily optimized? :) Think again.

I was a big fan of AC once too. Couldn't wait for new cars and mods to come out. Then eventually I realized that it's not up to the hype. Just try the NSX and 'Vette mods for rFactor 1 or Game Stock Car, then you'll probably also feel like even these 'last gen' titles do convey car handling better than Assetto Corsa does.

Edit: How am I supposed to address the disagreement without any point given? :) It's a 'dislike' at most :)
Seriously though, just check AC cars' data files -- it's all about a huge amount of approximation and trying to cram a lot of fake "viscerality" where it doesn't belong. Having too much going on in the feedback channel doesn't really give you more proper feedback. And cars being easier to handle over the limit is simply a result of oversimplification of the model. Sketchy at best.

Last edited:
So many comments about "No functionality improvements" etc, that I sometimes question the intelligence of gamers and really hope for them to playing dumb for whatever reason.
Kunos released the content details that will be in the DLC, no more, no less. This is not patch notes nor is the details of 1.2 so why is everyone jumping the gun? :O_o:
It says it right there in the title of the article as well: "Kunos Simulazioni have revealed details and screenshots for the upcoming free Bonus Pack to be released as part of the 1.2 update for Assetto Corsa in July."

I say roll out July..cannot wait for Zandvoort and for all improvements that 1.2 will bring! :whistling:

Last edited:
"He based himself on the principle" of taking a good look at data\tyres.ini of any non-encrypted car and comparing it to what can be found here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/
Files of interest there are "TireTool Quickstart" and "TGM Tire Examples".
Also, ask yourself why AC can run this good on an outdated CPU? Because it's heavily optimized? :) Think again.
tyres.ini controls flex via rate/damp (vertical flex), relaxation length (lateral flex), flex (torsion), and then has some other parameters that affect these rates depending on the tire's conditions (temperature/pressure). The fact that it actually has a parameter named 'flex' kinda kiboshes your point that AC doesn't simulate it...

tyres.ini controls flex via rate/damp (vertical flex), relaxation length (lateral flex), flex (torsion), and then has some other parameters that affect these rates depending on the tire's conditions (temperature/pressure). The fact that it actually has a parameter named 'flex' kinda kiboshes your point that AC doesn't simulate it...
Well, it does simulate flex in the way Pacejka curves simulate grip.
Take a look at those TGM files and there you'll see an example of a properly detailed tire modelling where a tire is a 3D structure consisting of a substantial amount of elementary nodes interacting with each other and the surface they happen to be in contact with. Try doing the same with just a handful of approximation coefficients, and you are back to the rF1 era. And with that Game Stock Cars does a much better job anyway...

Take a look at those TGM files and there you'll see an example of a properly detailed tire modelling where a tire is a 3D structure consisting of a substantial amount of elementary nodes interacting with each other and the surface they happen to be in contact with. Try doing the same with just a handful of approximation coefficients, and you are back to the rF1 era. And with that Game Stock Cars does a much better job anyway...
GSCE tire model isn't the same as rf2 tire model. Anything excuse can be used to say anything is better than Assetto Corsa.

And how well does AC run on an outdated cpu? It depends what model that outdated setup. So if it has at least 4 physical cores, it will run better than on a modern 2 physical cores cpu. The more cars you put on the grid the more the cpu will struggle to calculate the physics and to send the graphics information to the gpu. And LODs on cars also help. There is a good difference between running a race with cars that have at least 3 LODs than a grid of cars without lods. Then fps performance will struggle.
I can have way better fps in rf2 and gsce than in AC and Pcars, because the graphics are much heavier. While my dual core HT cpu can handle the current physics of gsce, rf2, ac, pcars; the only reason why I'm getting lower fps in ac and pcars is because my CPU isn't good enough for the many physics calcs and at the same time heavy graphics. rf2 and gsce don't have such heavy graphics, so I can run a higher grid of cars at better fps than in ac and pcars.

GSCE tire model isn't the same as rf2 tire model. Anything excuse can be used to say anything is better than Assetto Corsa.

And how well does AC run on an outdated cpu? It depends what model that outdated setup. So if it has at least 4 physical cores, it will run better than on a modern 2 physical cores cpu. The more cars you put on the grid the more the cpu will struggle to calculate the physics and to send the graphics information to the gpu. And LODs on cars also help. There is a good difference between running a race with cars that have at least 3 LODs than a grid of cars without lods. Then fps performance will struggle.
I can have way better fps in rf2 and gsce than in AC and Pcars, because the graphics are much heavier. While my dual core HT cpu can handle the current physics of gsce, rf2, ac, pcars; the only reason why I'm getting lower fps in ac and pcars is because my CPU isn't good enough for the many physics calcs and at the same time heavy graphics. rf2 and gsce don't have such heavy graphics, so I can run a higher grid of cars at better fps than in ac and pcars.
Where did I say that GSCE tire model was the same as the rF2 one? It's a 'previous gen' model, yet it manages to convey what's going on with your front wheels better than the AC's does.

If you happen to have a decently ancient computer or a friend with one, try installing a DX10.1 compatible graphics card into it and fire up AC. Put a single car on a not very detailed track and there you go... Try doing the same with Project CARS or rFactor 2 now. Well, good luck trying.
But as I said earlier, taking a glance at the rF2 tire model's TGM files starts to make sense as to why it's much more taxing on the CPU than AC or rF1 is.

Simply put, don't expect an "advanced and true to life simulation" where it's not possible. Yet... There is still hope that KS will realize now they are losing this race. I, for one, will be happy to see a fitting reply from them.

Yea I guess he based himself on the same principle, that tires in AC are just a plastic shape, because he doesn't see them flex.
He forgot to think that all this is simulated in the physics engine, and you can also feel in the FFB the tires changing shape when you steer. There's also tire graining, flat spot, blistering. This again isn't visual, but is in the physics and ffb.

While the visual of the tires aren't complete, the elasticity element is there already, if overinflate the T125's tires they take an oval shape.

Where did I say that GSCE tire model was the same as the rF2 one? It's a 'previous gen' model, yet it manages to convey what's going on with your front wheels better than the AC's does.

If you happen to have a decently ancient computer or a friend with one, try installing a DX10.1 compatible graphics card into it and fire up AC. Put a single car on a not very detailed track and there you go... Try doing the same with Project CARS or rFactor 2 now. Well, good luck trying.
But as I said earlier, taking a glance at the rF2 tire model's TGM files starts to make sense as to why it's much more taxing on the CPU than AC or rF1 is.

Simply put, don't expect an "advanced and true to life simulation" where it's not possible. Yet... There is still hope that KS will realize now they are losing this race. I, for one, will be happy to see a fitting reply from them.
Did you run benchmarks to compare which sim racing game is more taxing on the cpu? And why are you linking the taxing on the cpu with physics calculations only and not count optimizations, or lack of optimal optimizations. You can't really benchmark the cpu taxing between games only for physics, because you can't separate the space that the graphics fill in the cpu work, from the physics.

Btw are you comparing the way tires are build in ac and rf2 or are you comparing the cpu performance while driving the cars on track? Because I heard that it takes several hours for the software to calculate-build the tire model in rf2.

If you want to go that way, BeamNG is the same thing, a bunch of nodes physically simulated, and has nothing remotely approaching realistic tire physics... the gross properties are there (kinda springy, turn by steering) but the fine details aren't. I would rather a correct lookup table or Pacejka curve to some complicated model with no guarantees it's in touch with reality. At least the Pacejka curve has real-world data to work from.

Did you run benchmarks to compare which sim racing game is more taxing on the cpu? And why are you linking the taxing on the cpu with physics calculations only and not count optimizations, or lack of optimal optimizations. You can't really benchmark the cpu taxing between games only for physics, because you can't separate the space that the graphics fill in the cpu work, from the physics.

Btw are you comparing the way tires are build in ac and rf2 or are you comparing the cpu performance while driving the cars on track? Because I heard that it takes several hours for the software to calculate-build the tire model in rf2.
I had an access to a suitably old dual core 2.0+ GHz system. The idea to try and run the most recent car sims on it came to my mind more as a joke at first. What I didn't really expect is to see AC feel at home on that rig. It ran pretty nice even on good enough graphics settings, let alone the lowest ones. Of course, I'm not talking about full grid AI races and all that. Just pure offline hotlapping.
Whatever settings I would choose for either rF2 or PC, they ran so sluggishly it was practically impossible to control the cars. Do I really need benchmarks to tell a very good performance from almost nonexistent one?
Of course you could counter this by saying AC is written in Assembler (which I bet is not the case) and is perfectly optimized, but let's be realistic here. If it would be possible to optimize these things that good, professional engineering packages would do their modelling in run time, not waste minutes of computing time for a single frame.

Sorry, I didn't quite get the question in your second paragraph, but yes, it takes enormous amount of time to make a tire for rF2, obviously. Not to mention that one has to have an actual tire -- or better yet, a set of those -- in their possession to measure the parameters needed. And this is what I call a proper modelling.
This, however, puts a huge question mark on the possibility of underfunded projects to get anywhere near what could be called a 'fidelity'.

If you want to go that way, BeamNG is the same thing, a bunch of nodes physically simulated, and has nothing remotely approaching realistic tire physics... the gross properties are there (kinda springy, turn by steering) but the fine details aren't. I would rather a correct lookup table or Pacejka curve to some complicated model with no guarantees it's in touch with reality. At least the Pacejka curve has real-world data to work from.
BeamNG and RoR are rather strange projects. It's really weird how they manage to perform that poorly when it comes to portraying rigid bodies interaction. I mean, you'd expect steel rods to behave like steel rods, yet they are pretty much rubbery. This product simply doesn't take itself seriously from the get go. And one can mess up even the best of concepts by simply not being serious enough.

Pacejka curves can deal with as precisely measured data as possible. The problem is, it's not enough by today's standards. As I said, Niels Heusinkveld makes the aged isiMotor engine do wonders. Push the car to and over the limit, however, and the suspension of disbelief starts to fade a little...
Yes, the newest brush models are not perfect yet. But since the beginning of this year they improved a lot. So much in fact, I start thinking the plausible simulation is somewhere around the corner.

I don't find cpu problems in rf2, gsce, ac, raceroom. My cpu is dual core i3-3220. Does this say rf2 physics aren't that advanced? Then cut off with your flawed logic that you measure the physics calculations between rf2, gsce, ac, pcars on how much your cpu can take. In these games, your cpu will struggle proportionally to the graphics used by those games.

I don't find cpu problems in rf2, gsce, ac, raceroom. My cpu is dual core i3-3220. Does this say rf2 physics aren't that advanced? Then cut off with your flawed logic that you measure the physics calculations between rf2, gsce, ac, pcars on how much your cpu can take. In these games, your cpu will struggle proportionally to the graphics used by those games.
The CPU I was dealing with is around ten years old and is way below the AC's minimum requirements, whereas your 3220 is above the ones for Project CARS.
Honestly, I wouldn't exactly call an i3 underpowered to begin with. Try these titles on a properly ancient machine, and then you'll know the difference.

Of course you could counter this by saying AC is written in Assembler (which I bet is not the case) and is perfectly optimized, but let's be realistic here. If it would be possible to optimize these things that good, professional engineering packages would do their modelling in run time, not waste minutes of computing time for a single frame.
Are you talking seriously???
I'm a professional structural engineer and let me say I know what is FEM program, I use professional programs (like Strand7) almost every day and occasionally I wrote them too for my own professional work (I do not sell software).
Believe me or not, I can assure you that:
  1. "simple" linear elastic analysis of beams or shells connected in a model let's say of some hundreds nodes, is computed by a modern CPU in less than a tenth of a second. Not entering too much in detail, but, the fem method applied in vehicle dynamics is done with a real-time linear time-history analysis that could be implemented also in a excel spreadsheet. The problems arises with non-linear analysis, where many iterations may be necessary to solve the equilibrium equations of just a sampled instant of time, but this analysis are necessary to model ductile behaviour of structures after the yield stress and is definitely not the case of vehicle dynamics.
  2. it's definitely not true that a more sofisticated finite element model is always better of a simpler one
  3. the precision of the results of a finite element analysis are more close-fitting to reality depending on the accuracy of the costitutive models of the materials (for elastic materials: Young modulus and Poisson ratio) but most of all the boundary conditions (the inertial forces transmitted by the vehicle and the asphalt roughness & bumps)
  4. it's a matter of fact in the engineering practice that simple no-frills FEM models with few well-known parameters give in general more reliable results than over-detailed, complicated, huge models (in structural engineering we call them "monsters") where the analyst has to input a lot of parameters not completely mastered.
That said, your guesswork that a sim that do not stress much the CPU has a poor tyre model is completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upcoming cars in the pipeline:

Mercedes AMG GT GT3
Lamborghini Huracan GT3
McLaren 650S GT3
Scuderia Glickenhaus GT3
*Audi R8 LMS Ultra GT3

Let that sink in for a bit.
Vector W8

New mod idea for AC, if Kunos please create this car and add more grip so I will install AC back to my PC, not much asked, LOL

Maybe PC is faster with this case, lets see :)

A012,_Beverly_Hills,_California,_USA,_Vector_W8_on_Rodeo_Drive,_1991.jpg

What about this car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldKRUGJ3fQ (BMW Z3m Coupe Hartge 5.0 V8)

Bonus Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmm1PzdqXBI

Speed by Z3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-xAY63i8Ww

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%