Assetto Corsa 1.2 AI improvements... or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I've added a video showing some of the AI problems, look further down the post.
EDIT#2: I've added yet another video showcasing the AI issues of v1.2.1

Those of you hoping for a proper offline racing experience with the 1.2 update.. I'm sorry to have to disappoint you.

Only 30 minutes of testing various AI cars on various tracks (Imola, Spa, Monza) I was basically bombarded with AI problems, one after the other in quick succession.

-AI almost coming to a stop in T1, no matter how fast or slow the corner is. Even when everything is clear ahead the AI’s will hesitate getting on the gas on T1 exit. Slows up the pack and causes chaos.

-Extremely hesitant to make proper moves, yet still punting into you and other AI cars like drunkards.

-AI cars are swerving like they’re drunk on lap 1. Complete disregard of other cars, very bad spatial awareness.

-AI cars are putting wheels on the grass for no logical reason: plenty of space on each side.

-An AI will throw its whole car unto the grass for no reason: it's not trying to avoid a collision for example.

-AI cars are braking - for no reason - on the straights.

-AI cars are swerving without knowing you’re next to them; often resulting in race ending collisions.

-The “Gran Turismo AI maneuver”: An AI car will often hit the brakes and back completely out right when you’re alongside about to make a pass, just like the AI of Gran Turismo used to do.

-AI cars are often taking way too much speed into fast corners and then panic hitting the brakes in the middle of the corner.

-No defending down the straights – when they do defend it’s typically when you’re alongside the AI car and it’ll simply swerve right into your car.

-If one of the front runners spin and end up stationary on the track, the cars behind are often not able to drive around the stationary car; it seems they still lack the logic to drive around an object. They will just park in two long rows behind it and wait.

-AI doesn’t respond to yellow flags – I spun, ended on the track, then after about 5-10 seconds two AI cars drove straight into me at full speed. First of all they didn’t lift or brake, and secondly they weren’t able to drive around me instead of hitting me.

-AI exhibiting completely reckless behavior after losing control: an AI car at full speed clips another car in front, starts to lose control. Lifts, tries to countersteer, gets it somewhat under control on the tarmac runoff, until he then completely floors the throttle for no reason and power drifts straight into the path on the stampeding pack. Complete chaos and race ruined. This happened three times in a row after restarting the race.

-AI is horrible at controlling powerful turbo cars; fish tailing at the starts, looks very bad and quite dangerous for other drivers.

So all in all, regarding AI, 1.2 is a huge disappointment, along with the force feedback which is a big step backwards (but let's leave that for another discussion shall we).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
I was laughing so loud on the second video... :D
Btw on the Nordschleife the AI had issues before patch 1.2, before that fast left corner (then comes the right corner) there is a bump on the road where the cars can't slow down enough that's why they crash and burn, Stefano Castillo tried to fix this in one of his streams but only on one of the BMWs.

Btw I just fired up rF2 with 30 AIs on the Nordshleife with Howstons and the back of the pack collided too in the right hand turn. However after that at least they can bypass each other and they don't fly everywhere... :D

edit: I've just tried this with the Skip Barber Car too, well they can crash and burn too even earlier on the course. Too many AI = mess.

Last edited:
I'd hardly say that a field of 23 AI cars is too big, especially not on Nordschleife, Spa and other big tracks.

Also I'm not saying that AI should never ever in a million years crash. Drivers crash irl so of course the AI should make mistakes too once in a while. The crashing in AC is very excessive though...

So I tried racing on Nordschleife with the Lotus 98 and 16 cars. All AI cars (96% AI) did finish the race, I never saw an weird AI like in your Videos (Hexagramme) crashing, I had no problem to race against the AI, it was a nice race of 3 laps.

Hexagramme, stop tolling and spread false information! Ai files can be easily modified and transformed into brainless drivers! That's exactly what you did! Find yourself something better to do.

It's absolutely hilarious that you would think I've tweaked the AI files. :D

Why on earth would I do that, when the sole purpose of the video is to showcase the problems that are actually there, in a bid to hopefully see some improvements made to the AI one day..?

Just goes to show the length some of these rabid AC fanboys will go to in a bid to stick up for their preferred title. It's absolutely pathetic and hilariously paranoid.

A.I. are so much better than before, never spent much offline time with them. Now I may well do. Are they perfect? No but what is.
Well done Kunos for another solid update. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%