Are the VIR and Bilster Berg projects dead?

Does anyone know if the Virginia International Raceway project by DB, Rigel & Arthur666 and the Bilster Berg project by Fat-Alfie still ongoing?

Ever since AC closed their modding section in their official webpage, I have not seen any news about them. These are the 2 favorite tracks that I was looking forward to.. :(

Long long time ago when the track was brand new i recommended to make a mod out of it, but there wasnt much response to it and i never thought it was going to be done.
First time i heard about it and the track seems to be pretty well done already o.O

Hopefully its not dead

I checked the Bilster Berg thread on the AC forums just for the hell of it and I saw where he edited the thread to say cancelled. Glad I already had it downloaded.

Good to hear about VIR!

Bilster Berg was completed, but will not be released publicly. This has been my standard response to any PMs I have received regarding it:

It's quite an odd situation, but perfectly true...

On the day that KS shut down the modding section, I was quite disappointed, cross with KS (even though I understand their reasons) and decided to stop work on the track. I removed the link from my thread, deleted the ZIPs from my Dropbox, and bought a copy of pCars (!).

Anyway, that evening I received an email from a guy in Germany asking if I had made this Bilster Berg track. I replied that yes, I was in the process of making it. He then said that he worked for a motion simulator company and that they had paid a guy to make Bilster Berg for them, for AC. They then discovered that all he had done was send them a copy of my beta, claiming it was his work.

Well, the end of the story is that the CEO of the company is also a share holder of the BB track and owns the rights to use the Bilster Berg name in any simulators. They have agreed with me to supply a copy of my track with every sim rig they sell, providing they have exclusive use of the track. Unfortunately this means that I will not be sharing my track with the public, as was my original intent.

I'm really sorry if you think badly of me, but at the time I was walking away from AC so the offer of a commission payment was too good to pass up - I hope you understand.

If it's any consolation, the only changes between the beta you have and the copy I sent to this company are purely cosmetic - the track surface and feel is unchanged, just the cosmetics are more polished.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

On a more positive note, I have started work on a new German track, the never-raced-on Grossdeutschland Ring at Hohnstein. 10km long with a 280km/h bend, 200m elevation change, 16 hairpin bends and a total of 35 corners. I'm about 70 hours into it and having a blast!

Thanks for the interest guys. VIR is definately still happening but a little slower than planned. I've had a tough few weeks as my Mother recenly died so time and motivation has been in short supply and i've been spending time with family as you can imagine. Kunos closing down the modding forums didn't help either.

Things are gradually getting back to normal and I hope to resume the project over the next couple of weeks. The bulk of the work is done so it's really just a case of tying up loose ends. I'll have more concrete news about release soon - but hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the interest guys. VIR is definately still happening but a little slower than planned. I've had a tough few weeks as my Mother recenly died so time and motivation has been in short supply and i've been spending time with family as you can imagine. Kunos closing down the modding forums didn't help either.

Things are gradually getting back to normal and I hope to resume the project over the next couple of weeks. The bulk of the work is done so it's really just a case of tying up loose ends. I'll have more concrete news about release soon - but hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks.

Dave_6 said it perfectly:

My condolences to you and your family :( Take all the time you need, there are far more important things in life than sim racing. We can wait :)

I was super excited for @Fat-Alfie even though it meant no more updates for us. Missing some cosmetic changes isn't the end of the world, in my opinion. More importantly, I'm very glad that he didn't leave the Assetto Corsa scene for good. If any of his future projects are as good as his Bilster Berg track we are in for a treat! We are lucky to be blessed with so many different excellent modders.

I actually forgot about the VIR circuit for a few weeks after the "incident" with the modding forums on the official site. It's really nice to know that the project isn't dead at all. From what I remember on the official forums screenshots they shared, that circuit looks like it's going to be incredible.

Condolence to you and your entire family on your mom's passing.
It's never easy to lose any part of one's family.

Since he told me I always wondered who was the scum of the earth who took Fat-Alfie's work and sold it as his own. I thought it would have been interesting to lead that guy on to produce results after the BB beta was taken down to see what he came up with.
Yup. When he told me I actually felt anger for him. Thank God the person investigated and found Fat Alfie so they could put an end to that nonsense. I don't know how some people can live with themselves. Karmic retribution will sort it all out for that scumbag.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.8%