Arduino powered display

I'm going to be working on a Sim display (F1 style) for the budget minded Sim racer. I'm going to use the arduino (possibly uno) to power the display. If anyone wants to throw some knowledge or past experiences my way, I'd be happy to take the help.

This will be a 100% open source project. I look forward to posting my progress here.

Scroll thought the posts to see update.

Last edited:
deltaTime is in UpdateTelemetry
info.mDeltaTime

I'm building my own sli display too. I was just able to transmit to the arduino the shift position. Also, I'll cycle the different LCD modes through the Horn hotkey. i.e. "I wan't to see delta Time. Now I want to see lap time." Just press the horn hotkey and it changes. It works.

edit:
But, differently from mordekyle, I didn't bought the adafruit package. I'm building on my own.

I'll upload a video soon.

Upvote 0
the UpdateTelemetry info.mDeltaTime is not on the shared memory right?

@MordeKyle yeah thats what i am doing also on C# pc app, i just couldn't figure out a good calculation using distances and times... would you please share that part maybe?

(by the way i lost my source code and i have to redo it............ no recovery)

Upvote 0
So just to give an update, as it has been a while, I'm trying to get this project simplified by using some of the software that exists out there already. It would be great to get Slimax or Fanaleds to allow use of serial connections. I'm working on trying to make this possible.

Upvote 0
Let us know when you the the build thread ready for us! Looking forward for it!

could you share us the arduino code you have so far. How do you get the data out from AC to Arduino?

Upvote 0
Let us know when you the the build thread ready for us! Looking forward for it!

could you share us the arduino code you have so far. How do you get the data out from AC to Arduino?

I can't really share the code right now, as it won't really be relevant. Most of the work is being done in a C# application I wrote to pull the data out of the game. I am trying to talk to fanaleds into supporting this project, but they have not responded to my emails. I still need to find a way to simplify sending the data to the arduino, and fanaleds or slimax would be a great tool for this. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I haven't tried other sims, but with rfactor 1 it's been straightforward.

In the DLL, I concatenate what I want into a string and push it through the opened serial port. The arduino code just unwraps the concatenated string and set the leds accordingly. Of course rfactor is helping with this dll support. Don't know about AC, PCars, etc...

Upvote 0
I haven't tried other sims, but with rfactor 1 it's been straightforward.

In the DLL, I concatenate what I want into a string and push it through the opened serial port. The arduino code just unwraps the concatenated string and set the leds accordingly. Of course rfactor is helping with this dll support. Don't know about AC, PCars, etc...

So far, I've just been working with the Codemasters out point. They use a local UDP server to send the data out. It's quite the pain to be honest. They send all the raw data out in one gigantic string. Each piece of data is 4 bits of this giant string. I had to assign each as a float and figure out what piece of data each 4 bits was. Then I was able to do what I needed to the data and send it out over serial to the arduino. Then the arduino decides what bit of data it is getting, and displays it accordingly. It's a bit of a nightmare.

I'm really interested in trying to work on the Pcars telemetry. I have yet to figure out how it is exported, though I do know that it is. The problem is... Most likely each Sim would require a different arduino sketch, I find this to be a problem. That's where slimax or Fanaleds would come in. They already pull the data from all of these Sims, and they could export them in a standardized format, allowing anyone to program their arduino to pull the data and determine what it is.

Anyone know anyone at slimax or Fanaleds? I would appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Ok everyone, I've got some good news. So the reason I have not shared my code is because the way I was sending the data to the arduino was kind of "proprietary" in a sense. I found a bit if software that sends data to a serial connection for pCars, and after talking at length with its creator, I've got what I need to get this thing up and running well. So stay tuned. I am going to completely rework the code for the arduino and the code for the Codemasters games and will start to open source this project completely. Then I can start working on other games like rfactor.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years