1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

ARC_Team Carbon Shifter Review

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Anthony Levene, Mar 23, 2013.

1. View the Post on the Blog

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard Pittam

Richard Pittam
    Premium Member

I have this shifter and it really is fantastic. Even when I'm not racing I can just sit there pushing and pulling it. I loosened the tension a tad but it still requires effort to shift it.
    I've used the Fanatec shifter and recently the TH8 RS but this feels so much better. I know it's only got sequential but it does it brilliantly.

Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Pittam

Richard Pittam
    Premium Member

I also bought the Sparco gear knob that is the more expensive of the 2 on ARC Team's website but I got it from ebay.co.uk and it only cost me £20, a lot cheaper!

4. How does the Sparco one feel Richard? I've really grown to like the standard one.

5. So there is a threshold that you can feel when you pull the lever?

I mean, can you preload the lever, take the slack off and then pull/push it through to finish the shift. For example TH8RS has just one constant spring force that gives you no feedback when you are actually near the "click threshold", so you can't preload it at all.

I'm looking for a shifter that allows me to feel the shift engaging, not just random spring feel.

6. You can definitely feel the threshold. I can put a reasonable amount of pressure before it clicks, and it is adjustable if you want it stiffer or looser.
    There are other set up adjustments that Arc_Team can make to the shifter if you get in touch with them.

7. Thanks for you reply. I might actually end up getting one of these.

8. Richard Pittam

Richard Pittam
    Premium Member

Sorry Anthony, been away.

It feels a lot better than the stock one. Saying that I never used the stock one enough to get friendly with it. If you can find the Sparco one for what I got it at, it's a must buy. It feels really good in the hand and raises the height a bit which is ideal for me as my box is quite low.

• Like Like x 1
  9. How does this compare to the DSD sequential shifter, I like the fact that this has to be pushed into each gear rather than just moving the lever until it clicks, even with a stiff spring that setup never feels great. Does this system eliminate "false shifts" ie being able to drop two gears without moving the lever fully back into the zero position in between? Todd Cannon previewed a shifter which did this a few years ago but as far as I know it never went into production. (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8R27VkRG1 )

10. Hi David. I haven't tried the DSD shifter but I definitely haven't had any issues with double shifting.
    Arc_Team use an analog input filter which apparently keeps a nice clean signal and allows for smooth, fast shifts.
    A month later and I'm still really enjoying using the Carbon Shifter :)

11. Sorry, I didn't mean double shifts as in accidental double shifts. I meant can the microswitch for downshift (for example) be activated twice without returning the lever to the centre? I have a a DIY sequential made from a BMW shifter and thought the action is good, I can "cheat" and shift gear without going through the whole motion of the lever. Its a minor thing but for me its annoying. I really want something that replicates the mechanical action of pushing the gear through as found in real race sequentials.