Anyone using TrackIR with Race 07/GTR Evo?

I know they are working with them great without an issue (at least i am not aware of any), however i am not a user of them, and honestly do not even plan to use, for stable constant driving i need a constant picture, even the ingame camera movement i reduced to 0% (ok, 1%, since with 0% the pic sometimes keeps leaned after a banked corner)

It must be absolutely stunning on the other hand to be able to look around with your head movement.

I have used TrackIR in the Simbin titles and it works great. My personal preference is to turn the sensitivity down quite low, so your view doesn't swing around too much. I also turn off some axes altogether, like side to side and up and down movement (not rotation), because they just result in my view getting too off-centre. So I mostly use look up and down, look left to right and roll (turning head on the side). You need to have some control mapped to centre the TrackIR (I use a flappy paddle on the wheel), because I do that about once a lap, but now it's automatic.

It only works in cockpit view.

Until you get used to it, it probably makes driving harder, because it's one other thing you need to control with smooth movements - i.e. your head. But once you're used to it, picture heading into a turn side by side with another car and looking out of your side window to see where he is - that's just magic. I do turn my view to look at the apexes too. Or if I'm bored, I look down at "my" feet and watch them working on the pedals.

• Rick Stoltz

i so want to get a TrackIR system. Planing to get bigger monitor (poss24/28") as well.
that would be the Cherry on the top

I have the TrackIR Pro 4.
With 19" (4:3) and 22" (16:10) screens I had no problems with it, but now I have a 25.5" screen and I suffer a bit from dizziness.

So I will not use it often anymore. It works great, especially the helmet cam view is great with it.
Keep in mind it only works in Cockpitview.

Practically it has only use on the straights to see if someone is near you, in corners its useless as you need a steady view to corner perfect; like Atti mentioned!

I have the TrackIR Pro 4.
With 19" (4:3) and 22" (16:10) screens I had no problems with it, but now I have a 25.5" screen and I suffer a bit from dizziness.

So I will not use it often anymore. It works great, especially the helmet cam view is great with it.
Keep in mind it only works in Cockpitview.

Practically it has only use on the straights to see if someone is near you, in corners its useless as you need a steady view to corner perfect; like Atti mentioned!

I have a 26" monitor Ramon, so you would not reccommend track IR for such a big area?

tbh i dont see the point, i have it, but i think its best with flight sims. racing sims you are looking forward 90% of the time, and that can give you a neck ache holding your head centred and not being allowed to move it. with flight sims your looking around 90% of the time so you dont get a neck ache.

• Gary Brain

yes had a look at youtube vids and it doaes look good, however, I am a little concerned that Ramon says it makes him dizzy! Perhaps going for triple screens is the way to go

I have a TrackIR Pro 4 and can't race without it. When I try to run some quick practice laps without it, or am already using all USB ports, it feels wierd and I feel as though I lose some of my, what we refer to in the Flight Sim world, situational awareness.

For me the biggest benefit is being able to look left and right for cars overtaking you or being overtaken. It feels more natural to glance left and check if all is clear, than hitting a look left button. For me, this is because I still have some forward view and don't get a on/off feel as the view changes.

I also always have a button mapped on the wheel to centre view and also do this at least once a lap without thought.

Why do have have to keep hitting a centre view button every lap does it lose calibration?
It just seems to go off centre if you move your head around all lap (which I do). So your view might be just a bit up, or a bit down. It's not as bad as it sounds. It's not like all of a sudden you can't see out of the windscreen at all - it's just a slight and gradual shift from off centre. It might even be your head dropping or something like that as the race goes on. If I race without the TIR, I'm still automatically pressing my wheel paddle every lap to centre my static view :)

For what it's worth, I don't get dizzy at all. You can tailor the movement to be as much or as little as you like. It can be linear (my choice), or non-linear. You can turn some degrees of freedom off (moving backwards and forwards, for example). So you can set it up just the way you like it.

And you get to look really geeky wearing a cap with little silver reflector antennae on it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back