Anybody using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview or planning to purchase Windows 8?

I will most likely purchase it maybe a year after release.

I'm kind of split on it because I really think the interface takes some getting used to, but, I am sure I could manage to get around. I get that Microsoft making the OS use a tablet-like interface is an attempt to further support cross-compatibility. Though, it may seem time-consuming to use on laptops and desktops. I might try it out for a few minutes, then, I will switch to the classic desktop.

I have a feeling the touch screen ad tablet-like interface shares something in common with the Wii's controller, the 3DS's 3D, the iDevices touch screen and apps, and other notable features of other products: they're all gimmicks.

I have also heard about Windows 8 being gamer-unfriendly; if that's so, I hope changes are made.

I still have XP, but when I'll change OS (basically when I'll buy a new PC), I will switch to Win 7, not 8. I massively dislike the new interface, and tablets, and smart phones. Haha, I know, I might be getting old:D Buttons FTW! Touch screens are just a totally unnecessary invention, making things only more expensive, another senseless thing to get people's money...
And now Microsoft messes up the good old interface to optimize it for tablets... ehh...

I still have XP, but when I'll change OS (basically when I'll buy a new PC), I will switch to Win 7, not 8. I massively dislike the new interface, and tablets, and smart phones. Haha, I know, I might be getting old:D Buttons FTW! Touch screens are just a totally unnecessary invention, making things only more expensive, another senseless thing to get people's money...
And now Microsoft messes up the good old interface to optimize it for tablets... ehh...

Well, Péter, here is my advice to you: pick the fruit while it's still ripe, otherwise, it will die forever. (I actually made that saying :D).

I stay with W7 for gaming but after the very good experience with my windows phone I'll buy a w8 tablet when they are for sale.

Win 7 is probably my last ever Windows. Been longing for an iMac for quite some while.

Computer will be gaming rig instead when time comes.
Unless you're willing to spend and arm or a leg I suggest sticking with Windows, Macs suck lol.

I downloaded the Windows 8 developer preview when first released months ago and was impressed to a certain point. I loved the idea of integrating apps into a desktop computer but it was very buggy for me and there were very few apps at the time, none really worth having. It did help me organize programs or files easier, for example all my games are in 2 columns, music and video programs in 2 columns etc. and you don't have to worry about cluttering up your desktop with a hundred icons.

It's been a while since I used it, and as I said I had the developer preview so I'm sure a lot of the bugs are fixed, because God knows there were a lot of bugs, and there are more useful apps now. I probably won't buy Windows 8 because I have Windows 7 at the moment and am very happy with it, but in the future if it gets good reviews I'll consider it, but if it's just "ok" then I'll probably download it from a torrent site. (teehee)

As for gaming I know any game using GFWL will not work (last I checked) and even for games that do work the FPS is pretty much the same as it is on Windows 7, and some games can be even worse so you really don't need to be in any rush to switch.

Unless you're willing to spend and arm or a leg I suggest sticking with Windows, Macs suck lol.

Are they really that expensive?

Do me a favor and build me an Imac counter part with windows with near identical hardware. You´d be surprised at what you will find.
What you can´t get is a screen that puts most screens to shame.

Not sure why Mac sucks as it´s ten times better then some of the operating windows from Microsoft. XP and 7 are the only decent ones.

Not that into hardware, but here goes.

APPLE IMAC 21.5 Z0H6000BT/CR -ZASLON 21,5 , 16:9, 1920X1080P-CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2.5 GHZ-RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB SATA -AMD RADEONHD 6750M S 512 MB-8X SUPERDRIVE DL, 4 XUSB 2.0, 1 FIREWIRE 800-1 UTOR ZA SDXC KARTICU -1 THUNDERBOLT, STEREO ZVUČNICI, MIKROFON-OPTIČKI AUDIO ULAZ/IZLAZ -UGRAĐENA IFACE TIME HD KAMERA -UGRAĐEN 10/100/1000BASE - T (GIGABIT) -APPLE BEŽIČNA TIPKOVNICA I MAGIC MOUSE

CPU: 1500
RAM (decent): 200
HDD: 500
HD 6750: 620

2.820 ($500) vs 10.000 ($1800) so far.
Still needs the case, power supply, keyboard, speakers, camera, blahblahblah. I estimate 1000-1500 max.

I don't know what's special about a Mac screen, so didn't look for an analogue. The cheapest Mac I pasted above has a 21.5'' screen. Those go for around a 1000.

So, total is about one half of a Mac.

EDIT: LOL, this went off topic :D

Not that into hardware, but here goes.

APPLE IMAC 21.5 Z0H6000BT/CR -ZASLON 21,5 , 16:9, 1920X1080P-CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2.5 GHZ-RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB SATA -AMD RADEONHD 6750M S 512 MB-8X SUPERDRIVE DL, 4 XUSB 2.0, 1 FIREWIRE 800-1 UTOR ZA SDXC KARTICU -1 THUNDERBOLT, STEREO ZVUČNICI, MIKROFON-OPTIČKI AUDIO ULAZ/IZLAZ -UGRAĐENA IFACE TIME HD KAMERA -UGRAĐEN 10/100/1000BASE - T (GIGABIT) -APPLE BEŽIČNA TIPKOVNICA I MAGIC MOUSE

CPU: 1500
RAM (decent): 200
HDD: 500
HD 6750: 620

2.820 ($500) vs 10.000 ($1800) so far.
Still needs the case, power supply, keyboard, speakers, camera, blahblahblah. I estimate 1000-1500 max.

I don't know what's special about a Mac screen, so didn't look for an analogue. The cheapest Mac I pasted above has a 21.5'' screen. Those go for around a 1000.

So, total is about one half of a Mac.

EDIT: LOL, this went off topic :D

And all of that is fit into a case like this?

overview_display20110426.png

You know... that is the whole point of an Imac. Not to be confused with a Mac. Which is stationairy.
I´d also like to have the 27 inch screen as that is obviously the impressive one.

Ah, so it's about design now? That's what you pay for I guess. Sure, looks nice, but what happens when something breaks down? Or you want to upgrade it?

Meh, all depends what you want. I'm against shiny, too expensive, non-upgradable things I can't tinker with.

Ah, so it's about design now? That's what you pay for I guess. Sure, looks nice, but what happens when something breaks down? Or you want to upgrade it?

Meh, all depends what you want. I'm against shiny, too expensive, non-upgradable things I can't tinker with.
No it´s about having a computer and screen into on piece.
That is the whole idea behind an Imac. Or products similar to Imac.

When i want to upgrade it or when something breaks down?
Don´t plan on upgrading it as it will not house games, just picture and video editing programs etc.

Breaks down?
Well if that happens within 2 years then there´s insurance taking care of that.
After 2 years then that is a hit i´d take.

I have no numbers but i would guess an Imac is more reliable then a PC. hard and software.
I already have a monster computer for gaming, (2 GTX 580 etc) but it will sit in my rig instead.

For graphics editing, you can't beat an Apple computer unless you want to spend tons more for a high end graphics workstation, but not many of us wish to spend 10,000 or more just for a graphics workstation. I am no Apple fanboy, and I use PC's almost exclusively, but I do love the way Apple handles graphics as vector rather than raster.

For graphics editing, you can't beat an Apple computer unless you want to spend tons more for a high end graphics workstation, but not many of us wish to spend 10,000 or more just for a graphics workstation. I am no Apple fanboy, and I use PC's almost exclusively, but I do love the way Apple handles graphics as vector rather than raster.
This exactly, you can't really beat Macs there, but even with my quad core and weak 9800GTX+ video card I can run Sony Vegas 7/8/9/10, Adobe After Effects, and 3DS-Max pretty well and that's what the average video editor (mainly youtuber's) would use. The only thing I wish I had but only Macs do is Final Cut Pro X which is pretty good.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%