Antonio Fuoco to race in GP3 for Carlin

Fuoco-Imola-2013-1.jpg

After an impressive junior career so far, Ferrari academy driver Antonio Fuoco has today announced a deal with the Carlin team to join the GP3 series this year. Fuoco moves into the GP3 series this year after impressing in the FIA European F3 series last year. The young Italian finished 5th in the final standings in a highly competitive European F3 field.

Fuoco has impressed so far in his career, which started with the Formula Renault 2.0 Alps title in his debut year of car racing, before moving up to FIA European F3 last year. It seemed likely this winter that Fuoco would move across to GP3 as he tested for ART, Carlin and Koiranen, before today announcing his deal with Carlin.

Fuoco will be looking to emulate British driver Alex Lynn, who moved across for FIA European F3 to GP3 with Carlin to win the title last year. Fuoco gave his thoughts on the announcement "I am so happy about this new venture,Together with Ferrari Driver Academy and my management, I have decided to switch category and face this new challenge by competing in the GP3 Series. I tested the car last November in Abu Dhabi and I immediately found the pace I need to be on top of the grid. Being part of such a successful team such as Carlin gives me the necessary tool to achieve important results."

Alongside this Carlin team boss Trevor Carlin gave his reaction to the news "We are extremely pleased to welcome Antonio to the team, He did a great job in testing with us in Abu Dhabi and we’re very grateful to the Ferrari Driver Academy for trusting us with this next stage in Antonio’s career."

The Ferrari backed Italian will be looking to impress from the start as he joins the reigning champion team. Whilst the car will be new to him expect him to adapt quickly to the GP3 spec car, with a title challenge in his rookie year not an entirely crazy thought. Antonio Fuoco could well prove to be a formidable threat in GP3 this year.

What are your thoughts on this latest announcement? Please feel free to comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back