Anti Virus Software

I use AVG and it works fine. BUT, I have the "scheduled scan" option on and it interferes HUGELY w/ the game if I don't have it shut off while I race and the scan kicks on.

Just a reminder to avoid a low frame rate situation in the middle of a race.

Grisoft has released Version 8.5 of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This version contains a range of changes, improvements and fixes.

It appears that current AVG Free 8.0 users will need to download the new version from the link above as it isn't applied via AVG's built-in updater.

I recommend uninstalling any older versions of AVG first, then install AVG Free 8.5.

Optimal configuration advice to reduce resource usage is the same as AVG 8.0 and is provided in the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, although note that avgrsstx.dll may now be called avgrssta.dll, avgrsx.exe may now be avgrsa.exe, and AvgMfx86.sys is called AvgMfx64.sys on 64-bit systems.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

I used AVG free edition for many years, alongside different free firewalls, but eventaully I switched to Kaspersky Internet security a year or two ago and have to say ... its more than worth the ~€35 Euro for 3 x pc annual license it cost me at amazon.co.uk.
:thumb:

AVG is a good alternative if you really don't want to pay, just might not catch as much as Kaspersky.
BTW ... don't go Norton ... please never go Norton people ... it sucks IMO

BTW ... don't go Norton ... please never go Norton people ... it sucks IMO

Well I have to agree on you on this one for the old versions (especially norton 360 which used a whole lot of recourses on my laptop.....and Norton corporate edition which didn't want to uninstall lol).

but Norton has turned for the best now with the 2009 release. It is fast, stable and bast of all uses way more less memory/cpu than previous version.
Runs now a continues auto update to always update really small packages so that you don't find it using a lot of power updating once a week (especially during endurance races :))
And also Norton released a special gaming edition to allow you to switch off virus update, antivirus itself and other sort of Norton protections that may hug the system

anyhow....other than that I also used AVG back in the days.....it was good....but i feelt i needed something else

PC Pro's security suite lab test shows Kaspersky above Norton still :wink2: ... seems to have been topped overall this year by a couple of others though :confused:

Bullguard I had a free 12 month subscription to in the past when I bought my laptop, and although it was not bad, I was not overly keen to renew the license - felt awkward to use to me.

My brother uses BitDefender in his business, but TBH, he has had several malware attacks or viruses there lately, so I am not sure I would trust my data at all with it, and again I dislike the interface.

Quotes from the Kaspersky review:

"Its 88% malware detection rate still sits at the head of the pack"

"And when we tried to launch a network-based attack on our test PC, Kaspersky warned us we were being scanned, then automatically blocked connections from the attacking IP address for 60 minutes - very reassuring."

Daniel, agreed a good hardware firewall is optimal, but above is just one good reason for using a software based "security suite" as well as a hardware firewall ... all business corporations have both, software and hardware, and they have networking experts configuring hardcore firewalls costing thousands of pounds.
... which brings me nicely on to my second point, unless you really know what you are doing and trust your router's firewall 100% to do the job as it should (which I don't currently with mine :p), and set the hardware firewall up 100% right, then you are quite quickly open to attack.

As I said earlier, ~€35 for a 3xPC annual license is more than worth the money for me ... I always used free security suites in the past, but after they failed me once, it was enough to make me pay very little for a lot of peace of mind :music2:

How the hell did BitDefender 09 get up there ....

I'm moving away from it now because '09 kept crashing on all PC's I put it on, Vista, XP SP2 & 3. It's awful. Still using the '08 version because of these issues.

Running the Kasperkey trial now, wil probably get the 5pc license from Amazon if all stay like it has on my laptop. Next test is the gaming desktop :)

LOL ... large brown envelopes stuffed with reddies in back pockets is how BitDefender got up there I think :D

I am hedging my bets on that 5 PC license being in your house within 30 days mate ... :good:

well i have tried Kaspersky in the past and it has been fine as have a few others i have tried but i keep going back to Avira, not sure why, maybe i just like the no hassle approach it has and it does seem easy on the resources.

Never used Avira ... but it is one of the world's leading "corporate strength" bits of kit, and does get top marks in the PCPro review, so probably also a very wise choice mate :good:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back