Another one of those.. (hopefully not)

Like the title says, lets not make this into another one of those.. threads that is my sim vs. your sim type of "discussions".

I was really into netKar, because of the amazing physics (to my taste). I had high hopes for assetto corsa because of this, but to be honest I cant recognize any netKar physics in AC. It's just not at that level of fidelity.

But.. back in netKar days alot of people wanted me to try rFactor 1 and said that it had very good physics. I tried it several times, different cars and so on and I could never get a good feeling from it. Even with that FFB-tweak everyone used. I guess it's just not my kind of style.

So the difficult question, what I want to ask from you guys who tried and is using both.. how would you explain rfactor2 physics and FFB? Many say it's better than AC. I wouldnt rank AC as very good, although obviously better than arcade titles like NFS. I would personally rank iRacing just a tad higher than AC, for my own preference.

So how would you explain rfactor physics and ffb for me? I would like to hear before considering buying it.

Sorry no one told you how to get there, hit your windows start button (bottom left corner) then type in search bar %appdata% and it will take you right where you want.

Pardon me?

Indeed, that is a confusing one, no idea why they haven't made it easier, but here we go:

1. Open folder %appdata% in Windows Explorer.

2. Go to .rFactor folder.

3. Open rFactor.name file with notepad.

4. First line is your name, second line is your surname, last line is your nickname. I.e. your file needs to change to this most likely:

Highlighted for you since you missed it.

Yeah mate, thank you, wasn't trying to say your not helpful, but some ppl wouldnt have a clue what a "windows explorer" is, me included, and since he couldn't find after your post its safe to assume he didn't know what you meant.

You need to first set your explorer to view "hidden files & folders". Go to: Tools/Folder options/View/Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Not if you just type %appdata% in search bar will take you straight there regardless.

ISI really need to sort this name issue out, I've met a lot of new guys this past week odd with this silly issue (had same when started out),and is frustrating new players, ppl already have a perception RF2 is more complicated then it should be, but its not, unless of course you want to set a name.

Yeah mate, thank you, wasn't trying to say your not helpful, but some ppl wouldnt have a clue what a "windows explorer" is, me included, and since he couldn't find after your post its safe to assume he didn't know what you meant.

No offence, but if you don't know what Windows Explorer is then you shouldn't be let near these files to begin with. Good thing they're hidden by default. ;)

No offence, but if you don't know what Windows Explorer is then you shouldn't be let near these files to begin with. Good thing they're hidden by default. ;)

Its windows search bar for me,I didn't do the "windows course", or work in a office where "windows" terms are so readily available, so I dont know "official terms" but been using since MSdos,so like many,I know how to operate windows and a PC with ease, without knowing official microsoft terms, hidden files can be a royal pain in arse to find even for component users.

And yeah I agree, there should be no good reason to go into those files, unless of course for some bizarre reason you have to go in there to change names for a game or any software.

Another question..

I install all mode by placing them in the folder "packages". When installed through the client into the game, can I remove those files in packages? It takes alot of hard drive space.

And.. how do I control and remove original content? I cant uninstall it through the client, it's locked, and if I remove it from the folder structure the client keeps reinstalling it without asking me.

Another question..

I install all mode by placing them in the folder "packages". When installed through the client into the game, can I remove those files in packages? It takes alot of hard drive space.

And.. how do I control and remove original content? I cant uninstall it through the client, it's locked, and if I remove it from the folder structure the client keeps reinstalling it without asking me.

Regarding the first part, yes, your Packages folder can be cleaned as soon as mods are installed(I do this).

The second part - this does not sound familiar. Is this a Steam install?

Regarding the first part, yes, your Packages folder can be cleaned as soon as mods are installed(I do this).

The second part - this does not sound familiar. Is this a Steam install?

Thanks, that will save me alot!
Yes I bought it through steam, and before I can launch the game there is a client which handles mods and stuff.
Here is a screenshot and I have a random original mod selected and you can see the uninstall button is unavailable/gray.

CMNVyjV.jpg

Thanks, Joao!

And another one. When I install mods.. like stuff that show me information on the screens, huds it's called I believe. Can I move them around in a simple enough way or do they stick to their location on the screen?
And where can I find the mod that shows the throttle, brake and clutch input as small bars?

Thanks for the reply's so far, helper alot! It takes some tweaking and time to really dig into this sim for sure.

About the cockpit view.. I set up hot keys for adjusting it. But.. when I have adjusted the cockpit.. does it automatically save that view for that car? Or does is change every car? Cause it seems I got some wierd cockpit views when I changed cars like that, I touch a hot key to adjust one step and it jumps all the way to the normal view.
So how do I keep track of if and how I saved cockpit views in this sim?

About the cockpit view.. I set up hot keys for adjusting it. But.. when I have adjusted the cockpit.. does it automatically save that view for that car? Or does is change every car? Cause it seems I got some wierd cockpit views when I changed cars like that, I touch a hot key to adjust one step and it jumps all the way to the normal view.
So how do I keep track of if and how I saved cockpit views in this sim?

Yes it keeps track, but only of car, not car type. So if you change 1 car in the mod and next time choose a different one, you'll have to setup again.

Each mod has different values, so occasionally after using one car type and then jumping in another that has no cockpit set, it is set to the previous car type. The available values may be 0 - 100 but in the previous car type it was 50-150. When you hit a button to adjust it, it may 'jump' from the invalid 150 to the valid 100.

Gawd I hope that all makes sense. Just woke up and no coffee yet ;(

Last edited:
So I dived into online racing yesterday, buying one year subscription. It's very cheap so I really wouldnt say I have any huge demands on it.

Anyway a bit disappointed. I noticed I can sort servers depending on the headers, like number of online participants, track, name and so on.
But most of the top servers were locked.. I guess I could try to track the names down and see if I find websites for leagues and so on. But just looking for some casual racing, I didnt find a server with more than 5 drivers that I could enter.

Maybe I went in the wrong time? I live in sweden, so that was about 6-7 pm gmt+2. I cant believe that there really is so few people playing online.
Any way to sort out servers that are locked so I only see ones that I am able to enter?

I think you can hide the passworded servers:

Here is the online severlist:
https://world.rfactor.net/server-list

The lobby player count is broken at the moment. As a non steam user i don't see the steam players in the list. For example i see 8 people in the server list, but when i join there are 20 drivers.

Best races are on the passworded servers or organisized public events.

For a casual fun race you can always join a Racedepartment event. Here :)
Or take a look here.

I think you can hide the passworded servers:

Here is the online severlist:
https://world.rfactor.net/server-list

The lobby player count is broken at the moment. As a non steam user i don't see the steam players in the list. For example i see 8 people in the server list, but when i join there are 20 drivers.

Best races are on the passworded servers or organisized public events.

For a casual fun race you can always join a Racedepartment event. Here :)
Or take a look here.

Thanks, Gijs.. Do you see any players online on that list? I see 2 servers with one person on each. Rest is empty.. Interesting about the steam thing. I am running the game through steam.

I can imagine organized events being the best/fairest racing. But I really dont have the time for that atm. I got work and alot on my free time so just like to pop in for a few short races if I can. I did do some RD-racing in netKar before and that was very good.

MVrPfab.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back