Another next VR headset

So not really next headset as I don't currently own one, but I was kindly loaned a Rift S to try out VR and I am addicted, although have some minor issues with it such as a little disappointed with the image quality and the edges of the display are very blurry, (not sure if it's me or the headset). What would people recommend for a £500-750 budget? Will the Meta quest 3 be worth waiting for? or even suitable for Sim racing?

Oh, quite an important one to add, I'm running a 4090 with 13900k cpu

Thanks!

Dean

If you don't value your time over the next 38 hours I would suggest reading the IS VR DEAD? thread in the computech forum. Start at the end and work back.

My personal pick is the HP Reverb G2, it runs superb on the 4090. But as I understand it that's been discontinued and HP left the market.

Rumour is the next release of note is a new headset from Valve.

Personally I wouldn't by any Meta Headsets, The Quest 2 isn't great. Would only suggest it as a second hand purchase as cheap way of seeing if your interested.

There are multiple other options, from what I can see they have a multitude of issues, and in many cases we don't have the hardware to push them so I can't quite make out the logic behind most of them.

Not a good moment now to buy a VR headset for simracing. The future doesn't look bright either, as most makers are more interested in standalone headsets. FOV is no longer a priority for them (should be for inmersion in simracing). I could recommend you Pimax, but they are expensive and problematic. I upgraded from my Rift S to a Pimax 5K+, which I found for half the price, and I'm happy with it. The perceived resolution and image quality is basically the same but with double the FOV, which is fantastic for inmersion and sense of speed. I modified it a lot, so now it's much more comfortable compared to the stock model. However, it's still a bulky headset, although that should not worry you too much for simracing alone. I must say I had no problems with it working fine and consistently. I also tried a 8K but that one was much more problematic (disconnection issues). It featured more resolution, but the focus clarity was more or less the same, the panel quality (colors and contrast) was the same, and the system requirements were much, much higher. Now they are selling the new Pimax Crystal, which offers amazing clarity, resolution, colors, contrast, but goes back to a reduced FOV. It's also even heavier and it's still giving lots of problems to many users, so maybe it's not such a good choice, also considering its high price. I also tried a Valve Index, but I returned it inmediatly, as the glare on this headset is just unbearable. It's a shame, because it works great, feel comfortable and has great colors and performance. Maybe another high end alternative to the Crystal is the Varjo Aero, but remember it has even less FOV.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Invest into ultrawide or triples. Much safer bet these days.

thanks for the detailed replies. I have 3x 32" Triple setup at the moment, but I enjoyed the trial of the Rift S and the different feel and illusion of 3D with the VR, albeit the resolution on the Rift S isn't great.. Ideally I need to trial something much better to see if it really is worth spending the extra £££. Best I suppose I can do there is buy second hand and sell on if it's not for me, but that comes with it's own trials and tribulations.

• Deleted member 197115

thanks for the detailed replies. I have 3x 32" Triple setup at the moment, but I enjoyed the trial of the Rift S and the different feel and illusion of 3D with the VR, albeit the resolution on the Rift S isn't great.. Ideally I need to trial something much better to see if it really is worth spending the extra £££. Best I suppose I can do there is buy second hand and sell on if it's not for me, but that comes with it's own trials and tribulations.
If you can find Reverb G2, that will be the cheapest, most sensible solution at this point. Otherwise just wait till something new comes. All that is released these days is ridiculously expensive, experimental and half backed. Not a consumer friendly product, more like for die hard enthusiasts only.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 124 85.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 11.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 50 34.5%