• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Announcements & News

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2017 Championship' started by Andrew Wood, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    If you are still in the PSN group chat, you will have read that some important news is coming regarding the league and next season very soon. This thread will be utilized throughout the season for any announcements, changes, etc.

First announcement I would like to make is that I am now officially the head organizer of this league. Mikey is still going to be heavily involved, but he has been "promoted" in a sense that he will be working with the site administrators to help grow/enhance the PS4 side of RaceDepartment.
    I would also like to announce that Milos Ancevski will be my right hand man (replacing me as a backup league administrator/coordinator). We have had several meetings and share very similar outlooks on how we feel we can bring this league to the next level this season alongside Mikey.

Please help me to congratulate Milos on this new endeavor.

I am proud that we are retaining almost the entire grid from the last season and hopefully introduce some new faces for the upcoming season. Something can definitely be said about how strong we are as a group and I can only hope that going forward the bond grows stronger in this league from the top down.

Anyway, that's all I have to update for now. Keep your eyes glued to the forums over the next few days because we will be providing some further updates on how this next season is going to go.

We will be starting the first race on September 26th. Right now, we are eyeballing next Tuesday, September 12th, to begin the car and team selection; more to come later.

Happy practicing!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Good day everyone!

It is confirmed that we will start the car selection process this Tuesday, September 12th. I will have the thread posted between 10 and 11am British time, so look for it then.

We are going to follow a similar trend for the selection process as we did for this past season. We will go down the list in championship finishing position order, where you will be able to select the car that you would like to drive for this season.

The only thing we are doing different is that you may NOT handpick your teammate - as this gets confusing with how we are trying to give priority to the championship finishing order drivers first. HOWEVER, if there is someone that you were hoping that you could race with next season, please state such in your car selection post, and hopefully everyone else that is between you and the teammate in the selection process will take another car instead. I think we are all sensible people here and will respect each other's wishes with regards to getting the car everyone wants and the teammate everyone wants.

For example, if MIkey is choosing to reconnect with Guy for next season, he can claim that he would like to drive the Force India, and then nominate Guy as his teammate in the same post. Guy is not yet designated this car until it is his turn to select. Alex, Shellay, Mazais, etc and the rest still have the opportunity to swipe that Force India from Guy if they really want that Force India badly and also Mikey as a teammate.

We will still be starting the season on Tuesday, September 26th, but if you guys would like to organize an unofficial preseason test race to get everyone back in the swing of things and shake the rust off on Tuesday, September 19th be my guest. I personally will be unavailable that day so I am going to keep my hands off of organizing that.

If there are any further questions regarding the car selection, please message me personally either here or on the PSN chat, or post your question in the PSN group chat.

More announcements coming between now and then .... stay tuned.

• Haha Haha x 1
  3. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Hello everyone.

The next announcement I am bringing to you is on a very highly debated topic - the assists that we will be using for this season. This was quite a discussion we had amongst the organizers.

We have decided that the assists will remain the same as last season. All assists off except you may leave on the racing line and the automatic gearbox. However, we strongly suggest that you do not use the racing line this season.

There is a bit of a footnote that goes along with this. The racing line is an assist that should be an aid for a slower driver to learn the ropes of a racetrack, and those that find themselves at the back of the grid are allowed to use it. We do not want people that use the racing line to be finishing up front on the podium or in the top 5.

Last season, the usage of the racing line was a very controversial topic as people felt it was too much of a cheat and essentially told you exactly when to brake, when to accelerate, and of course gave these hints including where to turn in off camber blind corners. In most people's opinions, the usage of the racing line doesn't really depict a driver's true ability when he is relying on this assist to drive properly around a race track, and we all understand that.

Therefore, we are going to implement a new policy this season. As everyone has the ability to record video on their PS4s, we are going to make it mandatory that everyone records their race and if you finish in the top 5 in a race, you will be required to show the stewards footage of your entire race so that we can make certain that the racing line was not used to achieve that top 5 finish.

We haven't yet determined what exactly the penalty will be if we find that a person in the top 5 used the racing line, but we also understand that at times a driver that ordinarily finishes outside the points manages to "luck" in to a top 5 with the aid of a late race safety car, attrition, or maybe outsmarting everyone on strategy. This is ok - we are likely going to be very lenient based on how we feel your ability level is. If we see that you are using the racing line and regularly scoring large point hauls, we are probably going to coach you and suggest that you pull off the racing line, as it is very apparent you have the ability to finish well in races and can do such without this aid.

We think this is a very sensible approach to this topic rather than forcing a complete ban of the racing line league-wide, as we are aware there are some drivers that are more off pace than others. Especially if we get any new drivers here that may find themselves at the back of the grid, it wouldn't be fair to force them to drive without the racing line. We are hoping that we can police this very strictly at the start of the league, and then hopefully by mid-way through or so, we can trust the regular top 5 finishers that they are not using the line and don't need to ask for your footage in later races.

Looking forward to the car selection process beginning tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    ~*~ SEEKING RACE HOST ~*~
    Hi everyone -

Since Harry is not racing with us this season, we have lost our lobby host. Would anybody like to volunteer to be our lobby host each week? Can you confirm if your internet is strong enough to not cause lag / desync / general connection issues?

I know that we used Guy last season, but only as a random backup. We really didn't experience many issues with him as the host from what I could tell. Although, I would rather have a volunteer that doesn't mind the lobby creation as well as ensuring they have all of the other league members on their PSNs and can manage the invites/attendance of people in the lobbies.

Please post in the car selection thread if you would like to host. I would prefer it to be either a UK or Dutch driver to keep it as a well centralized location.

5. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Due to the several issues that we have seen happen during the practice race yesterday, we will not be starting this league on Tues 9/26.

We will do another practice race next Tuesday with Jerry Moorrees as our host instead, and after some further debrief, we will plan to start our first race at Australia on Tuesday, October 3rd.

Further updates will be made to the calendar in regards to our break weeks. Stay tuned for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Angry Angry x 1
  6. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Like it or not, we will be starting the season next week, Tuesday, October 3rd 2017.

Please check the calendar for the most up to date information regarding races for this season. We will discuss some potential fun races we can do during our break weeks (classic cars perhaps?) at a later date.

Also, I want to make myself very clear that we (the management team) feel very strongly about keeping yourselves updated with information about this league via the forums and this thread in particular. The PSN chat is not a means to pass along important information except in real time during the races. It is your responsibility as members of this league to keep yourselves informed of rule changes and other important information via the forums as this is the central location for all things F1 2017 Weekday Championship League. Please make every effort to check this forum on a regular basis.

Thank you all, and we will see you on the grid at Australia!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Good luck tonight boys.
    Please remember to record your qualifying and race sessions for the first race of the season tonight.
    The top 5 finishers will have until the end of the day Thursday of the race week to get their videos up on RaceDepartment. Failure to produce a video will be dealt with by the stewards and may result in your disqualification from the event.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    NEW RESERVE PROCEDURE
    We have a new problem here at RaceDepartment lately - but it's a good one. At the moment we are growing at a quick rate and we have a lot of reserves now, and it is starting to become rather cumbersome to keep a reserve "pecking order" of sorts.

Going forward - from the Monaco GP - as a reserve, you will now be selected to race first come first serve based on posting on RaceDepartment. Very simple, as a reserve, it is your responsibility to show interest in racing by posting in the appropriate race thread at some point during the week. We are becoming a lot more diligent in getting the following weeks' race thread up shortly after the present GP ends, so reserves will now be able to show interest in racing many days in advance. This will also allow you to get some practice in

We find that this will be the most fair way to keep those motivated in racing in this league available to join as many races as possible should a full time seat open.

So, basically, act first and you will likely get to participate in the following week's GP :)

Thanks for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Good day everyone,

Apologies for the championship tables not being up to date, Jerry has stated that he is a little bit behind at the moment but he will get them out shortly.

If anybody happens to have a snapshot of the full quali results / race results for both Monaco and Canada, can you please post them in the respective threads to help Jerry out please? The quicker we can provide those, the quicker we can get the tables updated. I am not going to be near my Playstation until Friday afternoon at the earliest.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.