And they say this game is easy

Hai all.

like the most of you i love to do some laps in AC.
As i am not the fastest driver around, i don't have my expectations set to brake world records here.
And i found out that i'm not the the best set-upper.
But still i like the challenge.

my fav car Atm is the Porsche rsr-2017. cause i watched the le mans race and now i'm hooked again.
as the next WEC race is on the Nurburg-Gp circuit and I'm going there , i try to get some laps in.
but even after 5 days of practicing and setting up the car, i can't even get close to the targets the Ai sets for me.
I race against the ai. 100 strength 90 agro 1% variation.
the leader laps at 1:54.xxx and i'm happy when i pull a low 1:57 on them, most laps are high 57's low 58's.

as i try to set my car up for the race and not so for quali. i find it hard to get it right.
those laps i see from yt vids and live footage are blowing my mind.

I always wanted to do some online racing but i'm very reluctant on that subject now with this slow pace i carry.
as a fan of sim racing: I salute you fast racers out there. I really have respect for those skills you all have.

@BhZ. nice one. i only had the front tires upped with 1psi.
as i benched myself against the ai i feel less ashamed about myself now.
I'm around 95hr's in AC. most of that was spend in the pits menu. lol.

And yes this car track combo is a killer. but i like to do the laps the Fia wec also runs.

@BhZ. nice one. i only had the front tires upped with 1psi.
as i benched myself against the ai i feel less ashamed about myself now.
I'm around 95hr's in AC. most of that was spend in the pits menu. lol.

And yes this car track combo is a killer. but i like to do the laps the Fia wec also runs.
I know what you mean, but eventually you'll want to practice for a race here at racedepartment and you'll have to change car ;)

@Dimis @RasmusP So, with medium tyres, +2psi on each tyre, i managed to do a 1:56:542. Don't expect to come close to this time anyway, i have 1000 hours on AC, so it's quite normal to be faster with less laps. I think a 1 57 500 would be good as a start. As i said, this car is not the best to start with, so the difference will be higher between us. Maybe in a couple of days (or when you are bored with this car) we can choose a different combo and see how it goes.
I really like that such a fast guy like you helps us rookies to get faster! :)
May I ask what wheel + pedals you are using? It's difficult for me to get better at that with my g27 pedals...

I really like that such a fast guy like you helps us rookies to get faster! :)
May I ask what wheel + pedals you are using? It's difficult for me to get better at that with my g27 pedals...
Thanks for the compliment.
I use a t500rs with its pedals. I started with a DFGT and the main problem were the pedals. If you have a chance, try the t500rs pedals and see if you like them more. The G27 is a good wheel and i don't think it makes any difference in terms of laptimes.

The brake didn't seem bad actually. To make it simple, if you have to turn left, be sure to move your car to the right so that you have a better line once you turn.

Totaly missed this message, that's why i miss my apexes now, I'm to late. but the width of the track is surely something i can use more of. They haven't put it there just for giggles.

Lots of good advice here! I must try this combo myself just to see how I compare :D
Couple of comments: while I do agree with starting on the default setup in most respects, there are times when I would definitely change the tyre pressures before doing even one lap. E.g. I was driving the M3 E92 the other day with a friend and I realised the default set had the semi-slick tyres (with blankets) at 43 psi when you leave the pits. That's ridiculously high and so far wrong that you'd be wasting your time lapping without reducing them (I think I had to take something like 9 psi off!). Don't fuss too much though - if the pressures are greenish then get on with learning how the car responds and fine-tune everything later. (For ref, the text for "43" psi on those tyres was showing as bright orange in the app.)
Also, I've found in my playing about with career mode that the AI sometimes wipe the deck with me even at lowish settings (below 90%), on other combos they can't keep up with me at 100%. Basically I don't think they are very consistent, so don't worry too much about their laptimes ;)

Lots of good advice here! I must try this combo myself just to see how I compare :D
Couple of comments: while I do agree with starting on the default setup in most respects, there are times when I would definitely change the tyre pressures before doing even one lap. E.g. I was driving the M3 E92 the other day with a friend and I realised the default set had the semi-slick tyres (with blankets) at 43 psi when you leave the pits. That's ridiculously high and so far wrong that you'd be wasting your time lapping without reducing them (I think I had to take something like 9 psi off!). Don't fuss too much though - if the pressures are greenish then get on with learning how the car responds and fine-tune everything later. (For ref, the text for "43" psi on those tyres was showing as bright orange in the app.)
Also, I've found in my playing about with career mode that the AI sometimes wipe the deck with me even at lowish settings (below 90%), on other combos they can't keep up with me at 100%. Basically I don't think they are very consistent, so don't worry too much about their laptimes ;)
I don't consider the pressure of the tyres part of the setup in this game. For some reason as long as the tyre pressure is green, you are fine in assetto corsa. Changing springs and toe has almost no impact on tyre temperature and pressure. Obviously i always set the tyre pressure so that it's green during the lap.

i always start with the blue tires and look at the tire pressure after a couple of laps. i think i notice that the right pressure is more important than the tire temps. I haven't played AC for a long time, where i was struggling before to get enough heat in the tires i now must be careful not to overheat them. And i find that with the right pressure it takes a lot longer to overheat. as for the Ai, the laps they were pulling on me were about the same as laps i could find online. the online stuff was sometimes even 2-3 seconds faster. So i thought, to at-least have a change in racing online, i have to best this darn alien Ai before i even think about joining a server. Now, after the help and advise I've been handed out the past day, i know a little better and decided to join the ranks. as I'm not getting younger.

Well then I need to change the pressure a bit to shave off another tenth :p thought default = default... Not that it would change anything since all was green... :roflmao:
"psi is not part of setup", yes that's true! Same goes for gears if you are stuck in limiter on one straight I think!

I don't consider the pressure of the tyres part of the setup in this game. For some reason as long as the tyre pressure is green, you are fine in assetto corsa. Changing springs and toe has almost no impact on tyre temperature and pressure. Obviously i always set the tyre pressure so that it's green during the lap.

I'm useless at tuning so tire pressures are pretty much the only tuning I do. :laugh: And it makes quite a difference, I've been using the Sidekick app to help me get them dialed in and suddenly I have more control, I'm faster, and I have a better feeling of what the tires are doing instead of feeling like I'm always on ice. I don't even pay attention to temps, as long as my pressures are in the green the rest seems to work itself out.

i think i notice that the right pressure is more important than the tire temps.

In my non-professional experience, that seems to be correct. I used to never be able to get good heat in the tires and I had no clue how to correctly adjust pressures. Once I started getting my pressures right the temperatures suddenly got a lot better and the car felt better. I use the Sidekick app to help me get the pressures where they need to be, it's like my own little chief mechanic. :)

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sidekick.123608/

The influence of tire pressure is one thing I love about AC.
One time ago as I was young and inexperienced I drove the car of my dad (Golf 4) and while turning the rear just snapped and I went sideways. Esp and need for speed with my old thrustmaster wheel (full plastic but good ffb) did their Job and I didn't crashed.
I parked the car and the outer rear tire was halfway flat!
Then one year later I felt that the same car was a bit strange when turning. I parked again, same problem but this time you couldn't see it that easily.
From that situations I can tell: pressure is really important! :coffee:

@Brandon, Sidekick is a very useful little app. I have it running all the time, i also use pro tyre and vector info screen. but i tend to look at sidekick cause the temp spread across the tire doesn't seem to have that much impact as i knew it from Gtr1 and 2. maybe it will be of more importance as i go higher in performance classes.

Last edited:
@Brandon, Sidekick is a very useful little app.
Yeah, I always have it running now, since I discovered it.
Just watched your video btw - your driving is very good and as the others have said you'll easily be in the running for top-10 (or better) places in typical club races here. It will be interesting to see how you tackle the very different beast that is the FWD TT Cup! :)
Btw, I reckon you could carry a good bit more speed through the final chicane by using a bit more kerb and that alone might be worth a few tenths.
I just did a bunch of laps in the RSR and got a 56.4, but that lap still had mistakes. The set was almost default (other than +1 psi) - my brake pedal pot is knackered (I need the dead zone at about 25%) and I have unmodified G27 pedals with bad feel, so in cars without ABS I dial back the brake pressure to 90-95% (I think I used 90% just now) so with good braking I'm quite sure aliens would be doing 54s or better. However, you won't just be racing against aliens ;) but plenty of normal humans too and it looks like you have more than enough car control to race cleanly in a tight pack. Do get Helicorsa if you don't have it.

I think temperature is more important but you can't really control it that much. Just try to drive at Mugello with the soft tyres and you'll notice how important it is. Pressure is easy to tweak and should always be in the optimal range.

@Neilski, wow a 56.4 pretty fast that is. my all time fastest (I'm driving this combo since last week lol) is a 1:57.290 or something. and i've done some laps with that brick yes (Aka audi-tt) a completely different way of driving to get some speed in that thing. just managed to get a low 2:08,xxx on the board. definitely need more laps with that cookie. And Helicorsa is already installed. even when driving against ai that app is the difference.

For now i'm more in control over the rsr than i am over the TT atm. as i said, need more laps

for a track like mugello i say you are right 100%. my favorite track to test out cars cause that track does not take any prisoners.

Maybe i am not driving the cars good enough to state temperature over pressure. but i am still comparing it with the older racing sims, and there both were so darn important. took me weeks to get a fast and stable setup in those games.

I'm still trying to get my head around AC tyre behaviour. I do find that when the tyres are overheating, it helps me to raise the pressures (even above optimal) because that can keep the temps down. There must be some optimum compromise but I'm not sure how to find it. @RasmusP posted some analysis of this a few days back which I'm now remembering I meant to ask more questions about - maybe discuss that with you soon Rasmus :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%