1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An 'older' Newbie from S. Coast UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GrumpyBear, Jun 12, 2016.

1. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear
    Premium Member

Hello everyone – newbie from the South Coast of England (UK) here.

I'm in my late 60's and quite new to this scene, leastways in a form where I am able to get some rewarding driving now I have upgraded my “rig”.

I've progressed from an utterly unsuitable pc with on-board gpu, a small monitor and an unreliable G25 wheel (third hand) to a “decent” PC (i3), GeForce 7500ti gpu, Thrustmaster T300RS wheel and pedals, and a 24inch Monitor.
    What a difference! Lol.

That said, the learning curve is proving a little steep.
    (I shall maybe need to think about an upgrade/mod/replacement for my pedals as I simply can't overcome the lack of “feeling” through the brake pedal.)

I have R3E, Race07, AC and RF2 (all via Steam) but so far I have shied away from any on-line races as I don't want to find myself being the mobile chicane or a crash hazard until I become more adept.
    When I compare my own own lap times (single races, off-line, against the AI) I'm well off the pace of the fastest people out there which can be a bit dis-heartening at times, but on circuits that I know well I feel I'm not too shoddy. So getting there! lol.

So far I have spent most of my time on R3E and Race07, but have just started exploring AC. I haven't really played RF2 much at all – yet.

So that's me, looking to learn and improve and have fun – mostly the latter!

Cheers everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Hello, and welcome to Race Department. Hope you find plenty to interest you here on the site.
    As to online, then you can try the R3E club or AC and rF2 as most are offering Freemium membership, check it out on the opening posts of race club events. Upcoming events can be found here.
    Join us as a Freemium Member
    If you haven't raced with us before and you'd like to register for a freemium account and race online at RaceDepartment free for two weeks, sign yourself up below. We have some slots reserved so first come first served.
    Don't worry about pace as club racing is about having fun and enjoying yourself without any pressure, so jump in and give it a go, all the clubs will make you welcome.
    Once again welcome to RD.

3. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear
    Premium Member

Thanks Kenny,
    I've got a sickly wife to tend to for a couple of weeks, but will certainly join up and try out some of the club events as soon as I can manage to creep away. haha

4. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Indeed, your wife is much more important, I hope she keeps better. Looking forward to seeing you on the track. In the meantime there's always plenty of discussions going on in the forums for you to enjoy.

5. One thing really good about racing sims is the diversity in the community, glad to see you enjoy racing sims and when you start to race online you will undoubtedly experience some set backs but this can happen to the most experienced of drivers. They key part is to have fun and don't let a few set backs ruin your racing.

My personal recommendation is to stick to a certain discipline at the start and learn the car, but try to stick to the same discipline as you go to each sim. GT3 cars are a good way into racing sims because it's a generally balanced class with cars that have high mechanical grip and downforce, they get the best of both worlds in teaching you the technicalities of driving fast without having an overly steep learning curve. GT3 is also very commonly raced online so you'll find plenty of resource on setting cars up.

As a side note I have also found a love in how Assetto Corsa feeds back through the wheel and can imagine from a newbie perspective that feedback being invaluable.