F1 2011 An idea to avoid collisions when going wheel to wheel

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Here's an idea I posted at Codies' forum:

Let me explain. In F1 2010/F1 2011, we don't have the luxury of being able to turn our head to see just how close we are to the car next to us, or if it's safe to 'close the door' on them without causing a collision and being penalised for it. Yes, I know you can do it with Track IR but we don't all have that - but I am definitely considering getting one.
smile.gif

So, what I am proposing is this:

You know on the mini-map you can see when a car is close to you? Well, when it's side by side, let there be a zoomed in version of that, so you can judge how close you are to the other guy - this would represent things like peripheral vision and being able to move your head in real life
wink.gif
. I've lost count of the number of times I thought it was safe to close the door, only for the AI to run into me and sometimes earn me a penalty! The mirrors are basically useless for judging this imo. All you would need is two small car icons in a corner of the screen.
smile.gif

One other thing - there was an exploit in F1 2010 which made it easy to retire AI cars and earn yourself higher placed finishes. All you had to do was cut across an AI and brake hard going into a corner. Sometimes it earned you a penalty, but often it didn't and what happened instead is the AI runs into you and wrecks itself - whereas your car is usually entirely undamaged and able to continue - I once DNF'ed 9 AI cars that way (I was bored)
biggrin.gif
. If an impact is severe enough to wreck the car hitting you from behind, it should also wreck your car. That would put this exploit to bed in double quick time!

Your thoughts?
smile.gif

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...de-side-graphic-help-avoid-collisions-ai.html

Basically, it's a top/down camera that opens in a small window when you're close to another car; it represents peripheral vision and the ability to move your head as a real person. :)

Here's an idea I posted at Codies' forum:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...de-side-graphic-help-avoid-collisions-ai.html

Basically, it's a top/down camera that opens in a small window when you're close to another car; it represents peripheral vision and the ability to move your head as a real person. :)

people are moaning that the game is too arcadey already, this is something that most people will not like or want in this game. I for one do not want to see it. Half the skill of racing is judgement of distance.

I have no disagreement there, but the fact is in a game, you cannot turn your head to the side to see how far from the other guy's wheel you are - unless you have a Track IR - but not everyone does. It would be designed to simulate the ability to look to the side - imagine that famous scene at Cataluyna where Mansell and Senna (I think) are going wheel to wheel - you wouldn't be able to judge that, and pressing buttons/keys to look to one side while doing 200mph usually causes me to crash.

Eyefinity helps significantly in seeing those along side you, at least it does for me. I dont mind the idea, I just cant see me looking away at a small map to see how close I am to the guy next to me, especially since I can see his nose out of the corner of my eye

On Xbox you should be able to use Kinect, and on PS3 the PS Eye or whatever it's called. The problem is I haven't seen any news about the game being Kinect ready or the PS3 ready for that matter. What a shame. Since I don't have any of that, I do what any decent person would do, stay on your side of the driving line you are on. You don't have to look left or right, you know he's there, just stay on your side.

mrynot - Ya, its a weird concept, because you turn your head but keep your eyes on the screen. Nothing can replace 3 monitors where you actually just physically look to the side.

With the motion trackers though, you set the sensitivity to make the movent your head has to do a lesser degree than the in-game camera will move (think 1 actual degree = 2 degress in game) so to look fully to your right, you may only have to turn to a 3/4.

It takes getting used to since as noted above, it still isn't natural but at least the motion is smooth (better than the animated look right/look left that some games map to buttons.

Personally I agree with the above poster and just try to keep my driving line and will eventually get 3 monitors - In those F1 cockpits, other than being able to check your mirrors a bit, you aren't seeing too much right beside you... Thats just how skilled those guys actually are - Amazing sometimes how they go through a corner and one drivers right fright is in line between the outside drivers two left tires and they both go through without contact.

mrynot - Ya, its a weird concept, because you turn your head but keep your eyes on the screen. Nothing can replace 3 monitors where you actually just physically look to the side.

With the motion trackers though, you set the sensitivity to make the movent your head has to do a lesser degree than the in-game camera will move (think 1 actual degree = 2 degress in game) so to look fully to your right, you may only have to turn to a 3/4.

It takes getting used to since as noted above, it still isn't natural but at least the motion is smooth (better than the animated look right/look left that some games map to buttons.

Personally I agree with the above poster and just try to keep my driving line and will eventually get 3 monitors - In those F1 cockpits, other than being able to check your mirrors a bit, you aren't seeing too much right beside you... Thats just how skilled those guys actually are - Amazing sometimes how they go through a corner and one drivers right fright is in line between the outside drivers two left tires and they both go through without contact.

I can't speak for Kinect, but Track IR is a superb device for looking around in games. At first, you think that you have to move your head, and strain your eyes round to keep looking at the screen, but it isn't like that one bit. Once you have tried it, especially in flight sims, it feels so natural. In F1 2010, it's a real help when it comes to looking to apex - but it takes a while longer to get used to it than it does in flight sims. Having said all that, I definitely wouldn't have bought it just for F1 2010 or other racers, but since I play combat flight sims a lot as well, it improves them no end - I'd go so far as to say that a flight sim is unplayable for me now without Track IR. In F1 2010, it's a lot of fun being able to look round the corner and it makes looking in the mirrors a breeze as well. :D

And it's significantly cheaper and takes up a lot less space than three monitors - which is something I find a bit overkill, or for people with slightly more money than sense, or lots of desk space, or both.

Edit: To try and explain how natural it is, I'll use looking to apex at the tight hairpin at Monaco - Loews as an example. When going round that, you're going round a left hander, right? So you only have to actually look at the left half of the screen. :) It doesn't feel unnatural at all. I really thought it would involve getting used to turning your head while keeping your eyes perfectly still so they look at the screen, but I was wrong - it's ten times better than that. You simply turn your head a little, and the view shifts to the left and the sensitivity can be made as sensitive or otherwise as you like. :)

DM613 said:
It would be advised to simulate the adeptness to attending to the ancillary - brainstorm that acclaimed arena at Cataluyna area Mansell and Senna (I anticipate) are traveling caster to caster - you wouldn't be able to adjudicator that, and acute buttons/keys to attending to one ancillary while accomplishing 200mph usually causes me to blast.
Tera MoneyTera ItemsBuy Tera Gold

You have 100% lost me.

One thing I'd say about Track IR and F1 is disable the pitch axis. It can get really confusing if your head can move up and down, and in F1 there's no real need to look down anyway as the wheel is in your line of sight - unlike flight sims where you have to be able to look down to see your instruments (and enemies below you). :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back