AMS or RF2

Hi,

As there are, some really good offers at steam at the moment, I`m thinking about getting Automobilista or RF2.

The problem is I`m not able to get both now. For now I mostly use R3E and AC and enjoy both.

So any suggestions on which one would you choose over the other and why? :)

It really depends what you're looking to get out of the sim to be honest as they both have their strengths and weaknesses compared to eachother.

Automobilista > rFactor 2
  • Content - The amount and quality of content that comes with AMS is incredible. rF2 doesn't come close in this regard, and is IMO it's weakest point. Out of the box it comes with easily the best content list of any sim out there (yes Assetto Corsa included, especially if you like race cars as opposed to road cars).
  • Sound - AMS has arguably the best if not second best sounds in all of simracing (close behind R3E).
  • User-Friendly - AMS is more user-friendly than rF2.
  • Fewer bugs - Especially when it comes to online play, AMS has far fewer online issues than rF2. Mainly due to the engine being so much older, it's had more time to develop and stabilise.

rFactor 2 > Automobilsita
  • Physics - Most notably the tyre model. rF2's tyre model is far and away the best in all of sim racing, and it's really not even close. In terms of tyre model, it goes: 1) rF2, 2) Daylight, 3) Assetto Corsa & Automobilista.
  • Multiplayer - rF2 has slightly improved netcode compared to AMS, although both are incredibly good. rF2 also has more MP options, allowing for greater possibilities in MP races.
  • Graphics - This one is close as both games look remarkably similar. rF2 has a more neutral colour palette, however when you combine it with the new DX11 update, it does look rather pretty. If you're running rF2 in DX9, then AMS looks better by a considerable margin.
  • Force Feedback - Best in the biz, and again, it's by some margin.
  • Artificial Intelligence - rFactor 2 has probably the best AI to race against of any sim out there. Whilst I will take racing against other humans any day of the week, it really is good fun to race against the rF2 AI.

My opinion?
If you're looking to an easier, fun experience right out of the box with an amazing content and audio-visual experience, then AMS is the way to go. But if you're looking to get into some highly serious league racing, then rF2 is the way to go.

rF2 is the most technically brilliant sim 'under the bonnet', but it's not the easiest game to get to grips with just because it's not the most user-friendly piece of software available.

Both are brilliant sims, so if you can eventually, get both. But for what you choose right now, it's really what you're looking to get out of it.

I'd go for AMS as well, despite having both I just use rFactor 2 for Endurance Racing (The best out there for that) and since there is just RDLMS i just use it for this league.
For daily casual racing without sacrificing good physics good sounds and a great racing experience without too many complications...AMS

AMS ... there might be few things where rF2 is better (or at least more complex) but as overal package AMS is probably best sim out there at this mmnt ..
I would suggest you to get AMS, rF2 and wait how pC2 ends up in physics, FFB and AI department and than possibly get it too :) .. just stay away from pC1

I tried both and refunded both (yeah I wanted to try it and that's better than pirating right?).
Rfactor was a bit complicated, strange etc. It's for sure a good sim but I got the feeling that I would need to spend some time with it to get a good experience. The handling was good but the "wow I am home" feeling didn't kicked in.
In AMS it was the complete opposite. The menus are so easy, that it was complicated for me... Well I didn't expected that simple usability... :whistling:
Graphics are better and really beautiful out of the Box. Handling was a blast. Upped the minimum force and got a firm, detailed ffb right in the first lap.
I really wanted to buy AMS but I already have AC and quite a bit of content in R3E and since I could race here everyday with them both, I needed to hold me back on AMS.

Plus, and that was the big down: I got microstutters in AMS. Tried different vsync, prerendered frames, limiters etc. Nothing helped.
I think I would've needed a hud mod, other post processing or something like that but after spending about 100 hours configurating R3E and AC I will wait till the next sale :speechless:

It really depends on what you want. AMS official content is strong on representing formula cars and has a great selection of tracks. rF2 is more general-purpose in official content. They both have vehicles that push the boundaries of what we're used to in sims.

For myself, AMS graphics are slightly off-putting as the cars are more generic and I dislike the bristle-brush grass. At least AMS graphic style is more consistent across the sim than rF2. On the other hand, AMS is the clear winner among all sims when it comes to fps, which might be a selling point if your system is on the lower end.

Looking at steamcharts.com, active players of rF2 outnumber AMS by about 3x and that directly translates across to online players by what I've seen in the game lobbies.

Last edited:
Looking at steamcharts.com, active players of rF2 outnumber AMS by about 3x and that directly translates across to online players by what I've seen in the game lobbies.
That is indeed an important point!
But I think in this specific case he should look at the Racedepartment Calendar since he got premium. I see more AMS races than rF2 :)

That is indeed an important point!
But I think in this specific case he should look at the Racedepartment Calendar since he got premium. I see more AMS races than rF2 :)

I actually mostly do R3E online and sometimes AC.

I`ll of course try AMS online if I buy it (not sure about rF2 for now as that needs additional fee), but I was mostly thinking about using it offline to see what it offers as both sims are strong in the racers hearts.

Sooner or later I`ll probably get both, all sims add something different to the experience.

I`ll of course try AMS online if I buy it (not sure about rF2 for now as that needs additional fee), but I was mostly thinking about using it offline to see what it offers as both sims are strong in the racers hearts.

Sooner or later I`ll probably get both, all sims add something different to the experience.
rF2 is now free online, the subscription has been dropped when it switched to Steam…:)

The best would certainly to get both at one point: I started with AMS, then got rF2, and I'm using both. There are content I like in one or the other (or in R3E…:rolleyes:), it is nice to be spoiled with choice!

Chris did a really good summary. One thing I did not see mentioned yet is that AMS is probably getting to the end of its life, we are expecting one more big update before Reiza switches to its next game… This one should come next year, so we have at least 6 or 10 months of AMS before that! I can't imagine they will remain silent for so long so we will almost certainly get some surprises…;) On the other hand, rF2 is getting a new UI, dx11 will get out of beta, we should get new content and DLCs… It will probably change a lot more in the coming months!

I actually mostly do R3E online and sometimes AC.

As @alexSchmurtz mentioned, no additional fees. Also, there is a demo of rF2. In my opinion the demo doesn't do a very good job at exposing the real beauty of rF2 (FWD Civic, not the best) but you can get a feel. Also note though, a complete face-lift (UI) is right around the corner so the demo won't be an indicator of the near future.
https://www.studio-397.com/all-news/

Really good and detail answer Chris :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just disagree in the part of the tyre model, rF2's tyre model is really advanced, more than in AMS or rF, but its so complicated that professional sims still don't use them, the main complain seems that rF2 tyre model doens't allowed a engineering approach, because the crazy amount of variables the model has, the harder to get data from them ot get them right...

In this video from exactly minute 10 prof. David Limebeer explains that a tyre model should be a good balance of simplification and preservation of model accuracy, and maybe that's why some physics gurus / professional teams probably prefer to work with the tyre model based in rf1 and not rf2, at least is the idea I have.

Really good and detail answer Chris :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just disagree in the part of the tyre model, rF2's tyre model is really advanced, more than in AMS or rF, but its so complicated that professional sims still don't use them, the main complain seems that rF2 tyre model doens't allowed a engineering approach, because the crazy amount of variables the model has, the harder to get data from them ot get them right...

In this video from exactly minute 10 prof. David Limebeer explains that a tyre model should be a good balance of simplification and preservation of model accuracy, and maybe that's why some physics gurus / professional teams probably prefer to work with the tyre model based in rf1 and not rf2, at least is the idea I have.
To add to that, it's not even about it being too complex or un-user friendly for developers and modders. A piece of software can be the most complex in the world while also being very user friendly but that doesn't mean what it outputs is going to be correct.

Thank you all for the great help, after all I went for AMS for now, but I`m pretty sure I want rF2 as well in nearest future and something tells me it`ll keep on getting better with new devs :)

Don`t know why the poll disappeared from this tread, but that doesn`t matter much anymore.

Thank you all for the great help, after all I went for AMS for now, but I`m pretty sure I want rF2 as well in nearest future and something tells me it`ll keep on getting better with new devs :)

Don`t know why the poll disappeared from this tread, but that doesn`t matter much anymore.
well rF2 is for 15 euro right now .. why don`t you give yourself an extra gift ... you can always refund it if you dont like it :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back