American Truck Simulator update 1.3 Open Beta Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
American Truck Simulator Arizona DLC 2.jpg

SCS Software have released update 1.3 for American Truck Simulator in Open Beta - Arizona DLC location included!

American Truck Simulator arrived to much acclaim on the Steam platform, as the natural successor to the equally popular European Truck Simulator 2 - a title which focuses on a wide variety of European locations such as Germany, France and the UK amongst others. ATS is, as the name suggests, an American themed version of the game where players can build up their trucking empire and haul many different and interesting loads across some key American landscapes in a selection of well known trucks from a variety of manufacturers.

As is now the norm for new driving / racing games, ATS launched initially with a limited amount of content on both the vehicle and location fronts. SCS Software revealed from a very early stage that additional content would be coming to the sim and have already delivered a new truck for players to enjoy alongside extensive coverage of a new location in the form of Arizona.

With the upcoming update 1.3 now in Open Beta stage, SCS Software have taken the opportunity to release Arizona for players to test. Featuring 15 new cities to discover including distinctive southern centres Flagstaff and Tucson alongside a section of the famous Route 66 with its key landmarks. Players will have the opportunity to cross the Colorado river over unique bridges and explore many wonderful vistas and famous landmarks within this region.

Obviously the new locations will provide the main talking point of version 1.3 for ATS but SCS Software have also included a fairly extensive list of enhancements and updates to accompany the new DLC. An advanced trailer coupling feature will make its debut in 1.3 as an additional optional level of difficulty when attaching the rig to a trailer prior to setting off on a new job (it's hard enough without the extra difficulty so I'll personally be passing on that one). Further tweaks and enhancements to the in game sounds improving the experience when driving onboard in the range of in game trucks will also be included in the new update.

As with any beta programme, please keep in mind this is not a finished product and you may wish to wait until the final release before engaging with the new content.

MAIN NEW FEATURES

• Arizona DLC
  • Take World of Trucks Contracts directly from the game, now with ATS support
  • Physically simulated truck and trailer coupling
CODE
  • Blinker auto off can be disabled (option)
  • Speeding highlight can be disabled (option)
  • Torque converter simulation greatly improved
  • Automatic transmission behavior improved
  • XInput support added
  • Added UI support for 4th and 5th controller
  • Gear shift selectors (range, split) now have UI support for position-based switches
DATA
  • New accessories added to 579 a T680 (bullbars, deflectors, sideflares, etc)
  • Default air horn added to all trucks (attribute air_horn in sound accessory)
  • New engine sound of W900 (air intake)
  • Interior sounds of all trucks rebalanced
  • US specific engine data
MODDING
  • Damage params moved out from game_data.sii and some more added (including wear and part damage factors)
  • Data driven engines (torque curve, rpm limits)
  • Force feedback data for XInput added (force_feedback.sii)
  • Torque converter physics data added, separated manual clutch data (physics.sii)
Keep an eye out on RaceDepartment in the coming weeks as we sit down and chat with the team behind European Truck and American Truck Simulator! Have any burning questions you want answering by SCS? Let us know in the comments section or send me a PM and I'll be sure to include them when we conduct the interview!

Check out our European Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator sub forums for all the best mods and latest news and discussions in the world of simulated big riggin'!

Interested in ATS? Like the look of the new Arizona DLC? What do you like most about ATS? What do you want to see added in future? Have a question for our upcoming interview? Let us know in the comments section below...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 223075

Great new. Really appreciate new beta + Arizona DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah looking forward to it myself. I know its not exactly a racing title but ATS / ETS are interesting games when one fancies a little change of pace (although my pace isn't that far off a fully laden wagon adhering to motorway speed limits anyway.... ;) )

Can't wait to drive around Arizona, plus the addition of physical based coupling between fifth-wheel and king-pin is pretty welcome... Also, support for setting up a shifter [hi-low & spliter] for a 16 speed box etc is real nice, been a few years since I've had to use one at work [our Volvo's are fully auto :( ].

Now, if they'd only make it a full DX11 build, then we can get away from the 2-core utilisation :(

I wonder how SCS will model the rest of the USA, seeing as there are states in real life that are much bigger than some countries within Europe.
After putting a lot of time into ATS and then going back to ETS2, it feels as though ATS is using a smaller scale than ETS2 therefore those long distance jobs don't feel as epic as they should. California and Nevada are huge states yet it doesn't take long to traverse them.

I'm a little disappointed to be honest.

More states will help (and all those states in the West are huge) but if they ever get to the smaller east coast states then they will feel truly tiny.

The only thing the advanced coupling is when using a mod truck it will not work and you will have to disable the AC. im sure modders will incorporate this into their mod though soon enough. (Info from a trusted youtuber) (not sure if i can say which one so i best not)

After putting a lot of time into ATS and then going back to ETS2, it feels as though ATS is using a smaller scale than ETS2 therefore those long distance jobs don't feel as epic as they should. California and Nevada are huge states yet it doesn't take long to traverse them.

I don't like that change either and I wonder if they just did it to make building the landscapes easier as they must be quite a bit smaller relatively compared to ETS2. Personally I am waiting for "Hardcore Trucking" where someone takes openstreetmap data to build the map and everything is fully realtime. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back