Amateur and Get real

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
R3E as 2 modes, Amateur and Get real, instead of having choice of adjusting driving aids, but what is really behind those words?
For example is Get Real no assist at all?
What assist are in Amateur mode?

Amatuer mode has forced Traction control and forced ABS. And I think some ASM but dont quote me on that last one. GetReal you get to adjust the traction control plus car settings like gear ratio, spring rates, brake balance etc. (still pretty basic atm though and lacks things like tire presure and such)

That is assuming that those people want to evolve to become SIM-racers. They may just want to have fun and that is what Amateur mode allows them to do. It may be possible that the inclusion of such a mode brings more people to the game and that can be good thing for all in the long run.:)

What racenut said....it can be quite discouraging for newcomers to not be able to set a lap-time with the tight/pro cut rules which could lead to "scaring" them away. And we have noticed that the newbies are having a hard time staying with two wheels between the white lines of the track....

So with being more flexible in the beginning so they start understanding the fundamentals so they can progress to Get Real mode is the end goal.

Until then those modes are kept apart everywhere in the game/portal/leaderboards so it shouldnt bother you at all!

Maybe I tend to forget how new some actually might be ..

Thing is though, when entering a competition with those Amatuer cut rules I have to go wide to be competitive And beeing a clean driver myself seeing ppl pick up speed cause there allowed to go wide simply annoys me.

Ive forgot which sim or game it was but as soon as you had more than 2 wheels outside the white lines the clock speeded up , yes you still got a time at the end of the lap but, you soon realised it was better to stay to track limits.. Was it Realistic, "NO". but it was a good way of doing things... that would teach you to stick to track limits...
The Get Real Mode to me is good, but still don't see the need for trc and abs. (even if some cars have them now as standard)
Would like to see a mode (ultra get real) where all this is disabled and not available..Hell even make it cockpit only view, where you cant even adjust it to outside the normal parameters of a seat. :)

The Get Real Mode to me is good, but still don't see the need for trc and abs. (even if some cars have them now as standard)
Would like to see a mode (ultra get real) where all this is disabled and not available.
Driving aids must be a real horror for "Hardcore-SimRacers" that they always request to abolish this stuff. :O_o:
But IMHO this isn't realistic. The virtual cars should have the driving aids, which they have in real racing series.
e.g. referring to the official rules in ADAC GT Masters (german GT3 series), ABS and TCS are allowed in racing. Even the BMW Z4 has also DSC.

So the available driving aids should be authentic and not to suit the so called Hardcore-racers. I think R3E is doing it the right way with e.g. different (switchable) levels of TCS. This is how it works in real race cars too.

But otherwise i agree that Cars which don't have these systems, shouln't have it in GetReal-Mode too.

Ernie, not wanting to use aids is not about being so called hard core, it is about the pleasure, in a well designed SIM, to have control over the car you are pretending to drive. All aids somehow disconnect you from feeling ( with a wheel) how the car reacts.
Aids have good reason to be there as not everyone wants that direct connection, as it is also more demanding and might take away from the fun of it for some.
As long as the aids can be set off, no "hard core" driver will ever complain, to each his own.
About the real version having an aid or an other, very often is does not mean much, because the corresponding aids in most sim do not react the same as the aids works IRL.
So more often then not, you have a more realistic, immersive, experience with all aids off.

About the real version having an aid or an other, very often is does not mean much, because the corresponding aids in most sim do not react the same as the aids works IRL.
Yes i agree with that. In most of the available sims the TCS and ABS is just a grip multiplier.

Most of the time i don't use driving aids (besides auto-clutch :rolleyes:) and e.g. with TCS i'm slower, because you can't break traction for a little power-oversteer to steer the car with the pedal.

Okay, the term "Hardcore racer" is overused and sorry for using it as well. ;)
But i disagree that you could only have the "real experience" with driving aids off, when the real car have some of these little helpers. You just do not have to use them in the virtual car, if you don't like it.
It's just my opinion "If the real car has it, the virtual car should have it available too".

I don't know if R3E will support Dedicated Servers, but then it could be an option to turn the available driving aids on/off.

But i disagree that you could only have the "real experience" with driving aids off, when the real car have some of these little helpers. You just do not have to use them in the virtual car, if you don't like it.
It's just my opinion "If the real car has it, the virtual car should have it available too".

I agree with you Ernie, I did not express myself correctly, the aids should be available as option, so we can decide to use them or not. The real experience is not always with all off, I just wish the helps were not so intrusive, as the are sometimes, so although I would prefer to use them if the car is suppose to have them, I have to turn them off because they overdo their thing.:)

In get real all aids can be turned off, the TC can be dailed to 0% or setup with different setting so you can change your TC setting per corner if you want too

Thanks Jay, I usually drive with all aids turned off, but I find this very interesting, have an automatic setting that changes TC with different corner, how does it know where to engage and disengage?
Is this feature also available in other SIMs?

I have always meant that in a racing sim, the setting with no assists should be the setting with the most potential in terms of laptimes. Driving unassisted should be harder, but if you pull it off, your laptime should be faster than if you had any assists turned on. It might not necessarily be realistic, but it would work as an incentive to turn off the assists and really learn how to be in control of your car.

I just discovered this game yesterday, and I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the current #1 Amateur time on the "default" track is faster than the equivalent for Get Real. But then I found this thread... It is mentioned that the cut rules are more lenient on Amateur. Is it likely that the Get Real-times would have been faster than Amateur if the cut rules were the same?

Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter as there are separate leaderboards, and I'm sure there will difficulty setting when creating an online race when the multiplayer mode is up and running.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back