Am I the only person that seems highly disconnected with the youth in my age group (18-24)?

I feel like this because many people who are of my age are highly skittish around me, and living in a small Southern town worsens my situation. But, it seems like people of my age group trifle themselves with idle pursuits and they usually make short-sighted decisions that they come to regret when they are old. In my society, intellect and education are disposed in favour of American football. The people of my society view reading, science, mathematics, etc. as "nerdy".

It's not so much that I am anti-social, it is just that I am introverted and I don't have many close connections with a large majority of the people that live with me, let alone, the people around the world around my age I occasionally connect with; the reason that I am like this is because they lack a plethora of book knowledge and because of that, it not only makes them 'stupid', but they appear immature.

I want to know how many people aged 18-39 take a profound enjoyment in education and intellectual pursuits and are determined to achieve such?

Where I live, I hardly know any person 18-35 that shares my struggle. :(

BTW, I'm sorry if any of the users within the age ranges of the last sentence got offended by my OP. I really meant no offence at all. My experiences have distorted my perception of those around me. Some of you may do it better than I, and I would really like to learn how it's done.

Ninety-nine per cent of the time, I'm casted out by those close in age.

I feel it is a responsibility that I connect with those people if I want to build on future goals, because, in this world, you need to have connections to be prominent; I can connect with the elders, seamlessly, but, not with the young; but, my attempts are always faltering; also, me having Aspergers' Syndrome has played a predominant role in this.

This is very well a significant factor, but, I strive for the knowledge and wisdom of a 100-year-old sage.

Why do you feel you have to connect with people of the same age Mo? If you feel better with a different age group or people of the same intellectual level as yourself do you feel objected?

I think that most people have no clue what Asperger is and therefor react sometimes a bit different to you, which is not your or their fault, but just how people respond in real life unfortunately.

Are you able to explain to people you meet and speak with what the syndrom is? A first step might be to educate those people a bit and help them understand it. Personally I find it very fascinating as you can actually have great conversations with people with Asperger on one particular subject.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 391 40.0%