Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Sushi isn't half bad after you bread it and deep fry it.
HERETIC !
socialized-emotion.jpg

Does Niels, who is a great theoretic, ever driven the cars he emulates, on a real track?
Well, Aris does.... with prove,I might ad.
So, whom to believe more on this subject?
Get a live, dudes!

Does Niels, who is a great theoretic, ever driven the cars he emulates, on a real track?
Well, Aris does.... with prove,I might ad.
So, whom to believe more on this subject?
Get a live, dudes!
Almost all simulation engineers from real race teams never drive the cars they simulate. They majorly measure, as they should.
Devs making a circus driving real cars on a track is just a marketing circus to fool the average joe to buy their pseudo-sims. It proves nothing without scientific measurements.

Almost all simulation engineers from real race teams never drive the cars they simulate. They majorly measure.
Devs making a circus driving real cars on a track is just a marketing circus to make the average joe buy their pseudo-sims. It proves nothing without scientific measurements.
Ok, just for the slower learning guys here...
Aris drove the cars ( Presumably not all of them) he models, and did some video comparison. Looked straight on. You just poo on the parade.
Go drive rF2 (which I love!) with your keyboard.

All this talk of input lag... there is the same advice for AC as for AMS to put Nvidia Inspector setting "maximum prerendered frames = 1" and to disable vsync. I really hope everyone complaining about input lag has tried this.

Furthermore I find AC to work best when frame rates are at least in the realm of 100fps. Adding for instance too much SGSS to make it very pretty but drop frame rates down towards 60fps seems to cause the game to feel less snappy in some way, particularly when changing direction quickly.

Given how much AC's graphical engine has changed since launch, I also suspect that it's fair to suggest that an older GPU like a GTX500-700 series is really not ideal. Unlike AMS which still will run OK on very old GPU hardware.

All this talk of input lag... there is the same advice for AC as for AMS to put Nvidia Inspector setting "maximum prerendered frames = 1" and to disable vsync. I really hope everyone complaining about input lag has tried this.

Obviously.

Furthermore I find AC to work best when frame rates are at least in the realm of 100fps. Adding for instance too much SGSS to make it very pretty but drop frame rates down towards 60fps seems to cause the game to feel less snappy in some way, particularly when changing direction quickly.

Given how much AC's graphical engine has changed since launch, I also suspect that it's fair to suggest that an older GPU like a GTX500-700 series is really not ideal. Unlike AMS which still will run OK on very old GPU hardware.

GTX 1070 here, no fps problems (way over 100fps). Don't get me wrong, it's not bad like, let's say, F1 2016, which is an absolute disaster in that regard, but there is a little bit more lag than in the sims I mentioned.

How can a sim that utilizes separate threads for graphics and physics have input lag and old sims that were designed back when duel core processors were high tech don't?
Guess what, the same way iPhones "feel" snappy. Graphics first, calculations after. iOS prioritizes on graphics and animations, so the user has a sense of fluidity, but it's just a placeholder. If a sim renders the screen first and only then goes to physics, you'll have no input lag, but a delay in physics which is way harder to measure.

Guess what, the same way iPhones "feel" snappy. Graphics first, calculations after. iOS prioritizes on graphics and animations, so the user has a sense of fluidity, but it's just a placeholder. If a sim renders the screen first and only then goes to physics, you'll have no input lag, but a delay in physics which is way harder to measure.
Gosh!
If you have an input lag problem, which could not be mended in this thread, ask or it!
Don't go putting the folks to the forks.
And your example is nothing but war mungering!
There is no such lag, dude! Never was, never will.
You just seem to have a serious hardware problem!
Hardware, or Wetware, I might think!

<mod-edit: Retracted the language part, don't need to go that far huh>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%