Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

• Deleted member 130869

I think he meant not just transferable skills from real life, but not having to decipher ancient hieroglyphs to adequately setup your controls and force feedback, and having a session set as you want.

I could add, that 5 hours in AC (or any sim) is nothing. Nor is 70. It takes time, and good FFB setup to get any idea what the game is like. So keep on going, but remember to enjoy it! If it feels like a pain, it's OK to let go :)

Took me nearly 6 months to tweak FFB to the point where it's so good that I can actually predict what the car is going to do based on what the wheel is telling me. It takes some time and effort but I do believe that of all the sims I've tried AC currently has the best FFB. Having said that though, FFB is very subjective and your hardware and settings will have a huuuuuge impact on your experience.

i don't hear any difference soundwise and omg, the free porsche sounds really bad, it's like the engine-sound is missing :poop: all the street-cars sound really bad...okay, most, didn't try much to be honest. got enough of it.

And still no Bass?!

well, last time i played was months ago, probably my ears simply got used to something better meanwhile :D

There is a lot of time needed to get AC to feel right. A lot.

The audio is still very weak. The graphics engine has problems that can sort of be dialed out if you have the time. The FFB is dependent on hardware if you ask me, but still, after 1300 hours I cant get it to feel great.

I dont hate it, but I only really drive it in leagues now.

People who spend time sorting things out like it. It is still full of issues, but this forums isnt the best place to come to discuss them. ;)

And FFB is often listed as a weakness of AC. It clearly is not even close to AMS, rF2 or even R3E. It's closer to simcades IMHO.

Actually, it's just the opposite. AC's FFB has always been listed among the strength of the sim, thanks to the fact that it transmits exactly what suspensions are doing with no fake effects. You can amplify some of them in the options (road feeling is something that I can feel like in no other sim around), but they're still based on effects that are already in-game, just to a lower scale (probably only kerbs effect are exaggerated, based on an old stream from Kunos).
A G27 definitely isn't the best wheel around to judge FFB, nonetheless AC always tried to reply what the real cars transmit, as such it's not unlikely that some cars are more communicative than others in game too.
I'm pretty surprised to see R3E classified as better: to me, it's simply way behind.

As for cars that are "sluggish": road cars are setup like their real counterparts, as such they're normal they're not trying to kill you at every turn. As for GT cars, most of them run in endurance races, as such I find it pretty normal that they are setup in a way that will allow drivers to race them withouth spinning at every turn. You can always change their behaviour though the setup.

Requested a refund on Dlc, simply been ruined by automobilista. I simply cannot hit apexes in Assetto Corsa, there is no sense of speed at all braking does not counteract understeer mid corner or lifting.

The problem I see here is that you're basically saying that AC is not right because it doesn't drive like AMS, while the comparison should be reality, not another software.
If you want more sense of speed set a higher FOV, even if you will lose a lot of realism. Also, you need to learn how to drive each car: AC does a great job in giving a "personality" to each car. It's not that you just jump in and drive the way you want to. You jump in and try to understand the car, then you have to drive it the way SHE wants to be driven.

Edit: it's nice to see that I got three "Hahah" to my previous post from three of the most well none trolls around here, I guess I got it pretty close to reality then. :)

Weird, all my ffb and graphics file tweaking combined over the past three years would maybe amount to an hour and a half, and that includes three different GPU's and two different wheels.
Guess I'm just lucky.

And a massive fanboi. I am pretty sure you spent a bit of time on the wheel at one point, but hey, who cares. If it is 1.5 hours for you, good luck to you.

I bet I am not the only one that has spent a lot of time trying to work around the little wrinkles in the game. I still cannot get rid of flickering fences and shadows.

And a massive fanboi. I am pretty sure you spent a bit of time on the wheel at one point, but hey, who cares. If it is 1.5 hours for you, good luck to you.

I bet I am not the only one that has spent a lot of time trying to work around the little wrinkles in the game. I still cannot get rid of flickering fences and shadows.

Every racing sim has issues with AA, shadows, flickering fences, etc. Im sure you know this as well as anyone since you have actually gone out of your way to attempt to remedy some of those...

AC is objectively one of the easier sims to set up, simply due to a lack of options for you to tweak. And that is fine really. A game doesnt need Pcars levels of sliders to feel good.

Set up your gain, turn everything else off... Put all the graphics settings on max if you have a decent gpu and turn down the reflections and away you are!

Dont need to be a fanboy to agree with Michael here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 418 16.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 281 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 276 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 191 7.6%