Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix on medical advice

Fernando Alonso.jpg

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso will miss the upcoming Australian Grand Prix in less than two weeks’ time, and will be replaced by Danish driver Kevin Magnussen.

Australia would have been Alonso’s first race with McLaren since their fractious single season together in 2007, but he suffered a high-speed impact during the second pre-season test at Barcelona last month which left him briefly hospitalized with a concussion. Although the Spaniard has since left hospital, McLaren said in a statement that doctors recommended against, “for the time being”, activity which could result in a second concussion and invoking possibly-fatal second impact syndrome. Alonso will therefore focus instead on fully recovering for the second round in Malaysia on March 27-29th. The team reiterated that following tests and scans he was “entirely healthy from neurological and cardiac perspectives alike.”

It caps a thoroughly disappointing start for McLaren to 2015, their new relationship with engine suppliers Honda wracked by constant reliability issues which have left them down on running compared to their pitlane rivals. 22 year-old Magnussen at least gets one more chance to race alongside 2014 teammate Jenson Button before being consigned to test driver duties at the team.

The inner fan in me hurts over this announcement, but in the long run, it is far better to rest for a week than risk taking several years off your career in case of another concussion.

My hope is that Kevin Magnussen will come back as competitive as he was in Melbourne last year.

Hate to kick him when he's down, but this is what you get when you go seeking to win at all costs instead of just being happy with what you have. Ferrari is looking good, in fact, much better without him. I feel sorry for Button.
But I wish him a speedy recovery and a season that at least has some rewards.

Chris

Premium
Wait what? Are you seriously suggesting that his concussion is as a result of him joining McLaren? I also would've moved from Ferrari as well if I were Alonso. They had 5 years to give him a car capable of winning a championship and failed on all accounts, with the F14T being their worst car in that time, the writing was on the wall.

Anyway, it's the correct and logical decision to rest him after a concussion. Head injuries are something that cannot be taken seriously enough (as we have unfortunately seen twice in the last couple of years), so risking a second concussion on Albert Park's unforgiving concrete walls is an easy decision from a medical standpoint.

Looking forward to seeing him race at Sepang.

Where are you getting all that nonsense Chris? It could have happened anywhere, but it did happen at McLaren, which has a crap car. Alonso moved because he "wanted to win" and now is stuck with a dog. I take it you're a big fan though...

Alonso WAS the problem at Ferrari...he's a cancer. I know there are worshipers out there, and I myself admire his talent, but his sheer monolithic demands on a team usually spell disaster. Watch how Ferarri does this year with two drivers that were and always will be better than Fernando The Great in any car.

Of course the logical decision is to rest him. If you happen to follow American Football as do I, you automatically know more about concussions than you ever thought your would. He will get better, but they can be nasty. The lingering effects are sometimes very subtle but very lasting. It's not going to be an easy road, unfortunately, but I hope he gets back to 100% by the end of the season. Don't expect "Alonso The Great" by the second race.

Why does McLaren have a crap car? Remember 12 months ago when this technology was new and everyone thought that Renault would struggle...... and Redbull won races. McLaren Honda are new, give them time to develop the package. Is it wrong for a double WDC to demand a winning car from a top team?

Plus, I know concussion very very well. I have mentioned on here a few times that I suffered sever concussion, I lost two weeks of my life with no memory of what I did. And even now I am not fully recovered.

If you cannot demand ferrari a winning car, cannot do it with any team. Alonso is faster than all his teammates and that got to be for some reason...

Anyway, this accident is full of shades.

It'll be nice to see what he can do with that car once it gets 'dialed' in.
Did the FIA determine what he contacted inside the car to gain the concussion?
They need to be looking at that kind of thing, instead of going off on wild-goose chase about drivers changing helmet design.
Most who witnessed the accident are saying the speeds were down quite a bit.
The side impact probably could have caused his helmet to hit the side of the tub.
Might be time for more padding there.

Numbers dont lie

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-02-11.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-02-11.png
    384.4 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-59.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-40.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-40.png
    338 KB · Views: 289
  • Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-30.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-30.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-13.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-01-13.png
    344 KB · Views: 320

Chris

Premium
@Robert Waddell
I'm not a huge fan of Alonso or McLaren for that matter. I just think that the notion that the simple act of Alonso joining McLaren was somehow the cause of this accident is utterly ridiculous.

If that really is what you mean, and I haven't misunderstood you, then that is the most preposterous thing I think I've ever heard.

I take it you're not a fan of Alonso to lay the blame on him for such a petty and quite frankly ridiculous reason, and to go so far as to call him a "cancer"? Your comment has got "hater" written all over it. Again I'm not an Alonso fan, but I respect the guy for the enormous talent he possesses.

Last edited:
I believe there is solid proof against at least one of those drivers being better than Alonso in at least one car...

I believe this year will be solid proof that Ferrari was catering to Alonzo The Great (sort of like this whole Senna worship has gotten beyond reality, even though YES, he was a good driver) and that was pulling the whole team down. Many drivers in the paddock say they can't stand the guy. Kimi hints at it, and Vettel will cause Ferrari to have proper balance and just make a fast car (since neither will be the prima donna Alonso was), instead of making a car that Alonso can drive fast. Ask Mark Webber. Felipe Massa is living proof.

You have to go a little deeper than to just look at last year. And Vettel, despite Danny R. being an incredible talent, has not lost the ability to drive. Does that mean DR is a better driver than SV? Of course not. Get past last year. It was an anomaly. The truth is, many of the best drivers don't even make it to F1 at all. I'd put my money on Sebastian Loeb any day over 95% of the F1 paddock. But I know I'm in the minority here. I also happened to have actually competed (much lower levels, but still, there is a lot the public misses about driver ability, not just F1 idolizers). And I also know this debate is endless and usually pointless. "Fans" aren't going to change their minds.

@Robert Waddell
I'm not a huge fan of Alonso or McLaren for that matter. I just think that the notion that the simple act of Alonso joining McLaren was somehow the cause of this accident is utterly ridiculous.

If that really is what you mean, and I haven't misunderstood you, then that is the most preposterous thing I think I've ever heard.

I take it you're not a fan of Alonso to lay the blame on him for such a petty and quite frankly ridiculous reason, and to go so far as to call him a "cancer"? Your comment has got "hater" written all over it. Again I'm not an Alonso fan, but I respect the guy for the enormous talent he possesses.

You are incorrect to assume that I meant that. What I meant was when you have the situation of Alonso driving a new car with a team that is obviously behind the curve on R&D, with a guy like Alonso beyond the wheel (who I said a million times is a great talent who pushes cars to their limit and is very good at it), is is not out of the realm of possibility that maybe he pushed a bit too much for the car to handle. It's actually a bit of a compliment to Alonso that he would take that risk in such a crap car. I'm sure nobody but very select few (including many in F1) could have gotten that car to the time he did in the first place.

So no, the two are not directly linked, but it's simple sheer speculation based on circumstantial evidence, which convicts people of murder all the time.

I don't hate Alonso. I admire him. I said that. Please read more carefully. I just think his idolization has gotten a bit out of hand. A good way to gauge that is when you say anything negative about the guy...a torrent of hate is released. No driver is perfect...and F1 does not have a monopoly on the best drivers in the world, despite what many on here think. Just my opinion.

I believe this year will be solid proof that Ferrari was catering to Alonzo The Great (sort of like this whole Senna worship has gotten beyond reality, even though YES, he was a good driver) and that was pulling the whole team down. Many drivers in the paddock say they can't stand the guy. Kimi hints at it, and Vettel will cause Ferrari to have proper balance and just make a fast car (since neither will be the prima donna Alonso was), instead of making a car that Alonso can drive fast. Ask Mark Webber. Felipe Massa is living proof.

You have to go a little deeper than to just look at last year. And Vettel, despite Danny R. being an incredible talent, has not lost the ability to drive. Does that mean DR is a better driver than SV? Of course not. Get past last year. It was an anomaly. The truth is, many of the best drivers don't even make it to F1 at all. I'd put my money on Sebastian Loeb any day over 95% of the F1 paddock. But I know I'm in the minority here. I also happened to have actually competed (much lower levels, but still, there is a lot the public misses about driver ability, not just F1 idolizers). And I also know this debate is endless and usually pointless. "Fans" aren't going to change their minds tbh.
saying seb loeb would be better then 95% of te paddock just hints that you don't know what you are talking about really, rally is a different sort of sport then f1.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 118 28.0%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • €3001-5000