Alonso to Contest WEC / Formula One Double Season in 2018

I agree. Imagine if Alonso gets to be a contender for the F1 title. He will be so tired and he may end up loosing the title because of that. He is one of the best, but he seems to make all the wrong decisions.

My own view is that "Alonso" is doing what is best for his own "image/commercial value" as a driver.
Mclaren are doing in allowing him, what they needed to keep him.

In reality, does he or even many expect a Renault engine car to win this years title? Do we expect Mclaren with the first chassis using such beat the RedBull?

He finds himself in F1 with doors that are already closed.
By becoming even more widely popular as a driver, showing that he attracts many followers even to lesser-watched motorsport can only help against his public frustration with Honda. That I am sure some bigwigs in other teams frowned upon.

If Mercedes came knocking with a seat and said all F1 or nothing, would he not take it?

Yes, if Totto contacted him and said drop all this Indy and Le Mans talk and focus just on Merc, he would do in heart beat.
Time are very different now and F1 drivers of all kinds, not just F1 'stars', rock up at Indy car and carve out careers where there wasn't one in F1, even Max Chilton.
Alonso might be a massive draw, but it doesn't not take away the fact he's not doing anything special when Takuma Sato an F1 wash out can win Indy 500.....
Buemi, McNish, Davidson etc etc have all done rather well out of WEC....
Alonso is grasping at this while he can as McLaren are desperate to keep him interested in stuff to take his mind off how bad his F1 career went due to silly choices....

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 13.9%