All In Sprints @ Zolder - Thursday 28th May, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer-mix.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: TC65 (+Elite) / GTC65 / GTC76 (4 x sprint race - 1.TC65(+Elite) -> 2.GTC65 (see note 4) -> 3.GTC76 ->4.Open All Classes)
Track: Zolder
Conditions: 17.00 In-Game Race time (all races will be at this in-game time)
Practice: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 UK / 21.00 Europe (10 mins)
Qualification: 19.10 GMT / 20.10 UK / 21.10 Europe (10 mins)
Race: 19.20 GMT / 20.20 UK / 21.20 Europe (8 laps)

Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Sprint Pack testing - please download and install the Sprint Pack whether you have a skin included or not. Only the skin "owner" may use the skin for their vehicle.
Default skins only otherwise.
Note3: Only GTC65 is restricted - RDHGP models are banned (no Healey / Alpine / Merc / Ferrari / GT350). GTC65 Elite runs in the TC65 Class
Note4: In Race 4, you can choose a vehicle from any class, but must not use a vehicle you've already used in races 1 to 3.

• Matt Crouch

Race 1... Elite. I think this was the nicest to drive round zolder of the cars I chose. Probably my most consistent race. I couldn't keep up with the minis though, or Gary who was up there with them... :p Made up a bunch of places due to others mishaps though.
Crossed the line and parked it next to the coca-cola barrier in my coca-cola car :heh:

Race 2... The cobra is a beast that is often found playing in the grass. A quick go of the powerful one was enough for me to choose the weak one. I was quite happy with my quali time and the first few laps went well, considering braking is a case of gently putting the pedal down and swinging your arms around wildly to keep it going in a straight line [may be an exaggeration]. I spent the first 5 or 6 laps probably blinding Kris just behind me with the tyre smoke, but either my tyres were worn or I just couldn't keep it up and I span a few times in the last 3 odd laps. The experience was worth it though and the important thing is what it sounded like.

Race 3. Was quite indecisive about these. I tried out the 906 but decided it was far too easy after the cobra so switched to the 914. This seemed easier than the cobra and it was going well, but about lap 5 I just started spinning multiple times on every lap, way more than with the cobra... probably just a lack of concentration though. It was an okay car but I don't think I'd choose to drive it again in a race with other choices :)

Race 4 in the mini, I don't think my times were as good those in the first race but I had to give the Elites a chance. Spent the majority of the race gaining on Sam only to get past in some bad overtaking spots, keep too far to the inside, run wide and let him past again... a bit more patience and my mini would probably have powered past easily.

/me puts away the zoldering iron

I think all went quite well (Except that move on Stuart, I overtook him before the final chicane and as I noticed I was well ahead I drove in front of him to get a better line. I hit the brakes fairly late and nearly missed the 'apex-ish spot' but as I got out of the chicane I saw hugh clouds of dust & tyre smoke in my rear-view mirror. No more Stuart in the mirror when crossing the finish :(
I really hope it wasn't me, I heard something on TS like "I was trying to avoid Kris's Mini-understeer and try the inside which completely failed"
You did nothing wrong, mate :good:

The Elite & the Mini cornering techniques are just so different, and as I said, I tried to anticipate where you would go, with the inevitable Mini understeer (again, not your fault, just a quirk of that car). I tried to brake early and get on the power very early indeed to slightly oversteer onto a tighter line to avoid and pass you, but I changed down too early (completely my fault) causing my rears to lock up, hence the spin.

Just one of those things, and good fun anyway :D
* Refreshing as in : more competition between the cars. Unfortunately there's just too much difference in the same class (especially on 1 track).
Perhaps have more strict selections for single track events. I know this takes a lot off effort to find out - especially as it isn't even easy for anyone to drive all cars at their max, on every track! Perhaps it's something we, the measly Earthmen can help with?

Yeah, that's always the quandry with GTL, the classes are hugely disparate - there are a lot of cars out there that I'd love to run, but fitting them in...well, that's the thing. These multi class events are really just fun things to try out cars and figure out which ones you like, don't like etc. They will be semi-regular, so people aren't restricted to the vehicles I choose. But - I'll be using the data picked up from results like last night to look at vehicles that seem competetive, and use them for future events, so it is invaluable, even if it's not immediately apparent in the short term.

Anyone who has any suggestions for competetive car choices are always welcome to let me know (via PM). All I would ask is that any suggestions are accompanied by the times and, most importantly, the track/tracks used to come to this conclusion.

The classes can be misleading, as someone said "The Elite is in the same class as the GT40?", so cross class stuff can be interesting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 288 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 194 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%