F1 2017 ALL Graphics Issued Solved

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
On the chance that this may help some of you I decided to post my solution.

Background : Over the last few months I've become increasingly annoyed as I've spent more time messing with settings in various games at times than playing them. The four biggest issues I've had have been :

(1) jerky in-game cut scenes on some titles
(2) Automobilista and GSC stuttering in replays
(3) F1 2017 - excessive blur and worst of all white sparkling edges where the AA SHOULD have been
(4) Assetto Corsa - flickering shadows and again the white edges

I've tried every setting known to man, I've tweaked, I've reinstalled numerous times.

It was starting to get to the point tonight where I was thinking something was wrong with my system. Then in a flash of inspiration I uninstalled the latest Nvidia driver (for my average GTX 970) INCLUDING Physx and Experience and I reinstalled 358.50 DRIVER ONLY.

NO Experience, NO PhysX, just the driver.

I am stunned.

F1 2017 is sharp, AA actually WORKS WITH THE GAME SETTINGS.
Assetto Corsa's shadows are crisp and clean.
GSC and AMS are running replays like a dream.
ALL the white sparkles are gone.

I can only surmise that Nvida have added so much crap over the last couple of years that going back to something with less complexity has in some way solved my issues, but I literally feel like I've had a system upgrade.

FINALLY F1 2017 looks like the screenshots.

If this helps one person then the post will have been worthwhile - I urge you to try it out and post your findings.

Thanks

As I'm using an AMD card (R9 Fury Series), to help with the F1 2017 textures/blur, I use the driver's Virtual Super Resolution function.

The game is rendered at a higher resolution, then scaled down to the monitor's natural resolution (1920x1080) by the card. It does limit me to 60 fps though (on my card).

1/ Enable VSR in the driver
2/ Pick a higher resolution in the game settings that suits you monitor's screen ratio.
3/ Disable AA in the game settings

Screen ratio : 1920/1080= 1.77

Resolutions to pick from in-game :-

2560x1440
3200x1800
3840x2160

Not using 2018x1536 as that screen ratio is 1.33

VSR.jpg

I don't think the driver is actually changing image quality. Probably it's just Geforce experience screwing up settings.
But I may be wrong though!

What is definitely true is that the older cards up until the 7xx had the lod bias on "clamp" working which is now broken and causes massive shimmering and flickering! There already is a petition for it but I don't think nvidia gives a damn :(

Also important to know is that a driver update can break your custom profiles if using the inspector.
And there were some new settings like fast sync and another power management feature. Wouldn't wonder if that also screwed things up on some systems.

For me (1070 and 970 before) nothing changed between 2015 until today. But I'm keeping track of my settings :)

I don't think the driver is actually changing image quality. Probably it's just Geforce experience screwing up settings.
But I may be wrong though!

What is definitely true is that the older cards up until the 7xx had the lod bias on "clamp" working which is now broken and causes massive shimmering and flickering! There already is a petition for it but I don't think nvidia gives a damn :(

Also important to know is that a driver update can break your custom profiles if using the inspector.
And there were some new settings like fast sync and another power management feature. Wouldn't wonder if that also screwed things up on some systems.

For me (1070 and 970 before) nothing changed between 2015 until today. But I'm keeping track of my settings :)

Yea that clamp nonsense really makes me angry.

"Here's a feature that will improve the quality of your gaming image on the £500 card you just bought but we're not going to let you use it".

You can actually get very good modded drivers (I used them for a long time) that have the clamp feature re-enabled.

FWIW I will be switching to ATI on my next upgrade...seriously fed up with Nvidia...

O re Experience screwing with things - no - I've only used it / installed it on and off during the times with my image quality woes. It's def. related to the driver. If you do a search for things like "which Nvidia driver gives best image quality...." there are a lot of posts about older drivers being better than the new ones.

Yea that clamp nonsense really makes me angry.

"Heres a feature that will improve the quality of your gaming image on the £500 card you just bought but we're not going to let you use it".

You can actually get very good modded drivers (I used them for a long time) that have the clamp feature re-enabled.
Only works for DX9 though :( I use the modded DLL for Rocket League, AMS and all other DX9 games. Sadly it doesn't work for DX11...

Oh I see you wrote drivers can you post a Link to them?
Beware: use the LINK box to not make it a direct, written Link :)

Only works for DX9 though :( I use the modded DLL for Rocket League, AMS and all other DX9 games. Sadly it doesn't work for DX11...

Oh I see you wrote drivers can you post a Link to them?
Beware: use the LINK box to not make it a direct, written Link :)

Here you go - been a while since I used them but they are / were very good :

http://www.tweakforce.com/

You'll have to do some black magic to get around unsigned drivers on Win 10, although it's not too hard even for a technophobic 50 something like me.

As I'm using an AMD card (R9 Fury Series), to help with the F1 2017 textures/blur, I use the driver's Virtual Super Resolution function.

The game is rendered at a higher resolution, then scaled down to the monitor's natural resolution (1920x1080) by the card. It does limit me to 60 fps though (on my card).

1/ Enable VSR in the driver
2/ Pick a higher resolution in the game settings that suits you monitor's screen ratio.
3/ Disable AA in the game settings

Screen ratio : 1920/1080= 1.77

Resolutions to pick from in-game :-

2560x1440
3200x1800
3840x2160

Not using 2018x1536 as that screen ratio is 1.33

View attachment 210258

Shall AA always be "off" in any game if I use DSR (Nvidia)?

Yes, and no. Depends on what AA it is.
In general: it doesn't matter. Everything is "normal" but you have a "internal monitor" with a higher resolution.

So 4x MSAA will still be 4x MSAA but with a higher resolution as it's input. It will eat your GPU!
FXAA, TAA or SMAA have a very little performance impact so it doesn't matter at all.

What I think what Graham was saying: DSR looks so well, that you simply don't NEED other AA options as most of them just blur the image and result in worse image quality :)

What I think what Graham was saying: DSR looks so well, that you simply don't NEED other AA options as most of them just blur the image and result in worse image quality :)

Rasmus hit the nail on the head there, that is exactly what I mean.

In the few games where I use VSR (AMD), DSR to you NVidia guys, because I am rendering at a higher resolution then scaling it down, there is often no need for AA as there is less jaggies at those higher resolutions, it's a nicer image anyway

This also helps with the load on the card as there is no additional AA to process, and AA can be such FPS killer

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back