Alfa Romeo Confirms Sauber F1 2018 Partnership

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alfa Romeo and Sauber Tie Up 2018 Contract.jpg

The legendary Alfa Romeo name will make a return to Grand Prix racing in 2018 after securing a partnership with the Swiss Sauber team for the 2018 season.

Returning to Formula One for the first time in three decades, the new partnership between the Sauber Formula One Team and Alfa Romeo is a major coup for the struggling Swiss outfit. Aimed as more than just a simple branding exercise thanks to close links with Ferrari over these past few years, it has been reported that the new partnership will be both on a technical and commercial level and should run for "multiple" years.

Sauber have long been rumoured to be courting the legendary Italian brand, a rumour made all the more serious when the Swiss team walked away from a potential works engine deal from Honda earlier in the season, a move that reportedly expedited the resignation of highly regarded Team Principle Monisha Kaltenborn from her long standing role within the team.

However all has now become clear with regards to the future of the team, having confirmed this historic partnership that sees one of the most iconic and significant brands return to Formula One for the first time in over 30 years.

Speaking of the deal announced yesterday, Ferrari Chairman and Alfa Romeo CEO Sergio Marchionne was delighted to confirm the return of the four leaf clover to top level motorsport competition;

“This agreement with the Sauber F1 Team is a significant step in the reshaping of the Alfa Romeo brand, which will return to Formula 1 after an absence of more than 30 years,”

“A storied marque that has helped make the history of this sport, Alfa Romeo will join other major automakers that participate in Formula 1. The brand itself will also benefit from the sharing of technology and strategic know-how with a partner of the Sauber F1 Team’s undisputed experience.

Sceptics will soon jump on the fact that this deal isn't exactly a fully fledged return of the brand, with no actual new engine coming from the manufacturer tie up, however Marchionne was keen to stress Alfa will be bringing more to the party than just a famous brand;

“The Alfa Romeo engineers and technicians, who have already demonstrated their capabilities with the newly-launched models, Giulia and Stelvio, will have the opportunity to make that experience available to the Sauber F1 Team. At the same time, Alfa Romeo fans will once again have the opportunity to support an automaker that is determined to begin writing an exciting new chapter in its unique, legendary sporting history.”
From the 2018 season the Swiss team will now be branded Alfa Romeo Sauber Formula One Team. Due to the strengthened ties with both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo it is thought the squad will be taking on at least one driver from the Marinello junior driver programme, with 2017 F2 champion Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi both in with a chance alongside current drivers Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein for a drive in the rebranded outfit next year.

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the premier open wheel series in the world.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think the deal to secure Alfa backing is the right move for Sauber? Can the link between team and manufacturer yield solid results, or is it more of a marketing campaign? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
F1 is always marketing and this is no exception. Good sounding brand returns. If this means Sauber is safe for another year it's very welcome :thumbsup:

Yeah it is a massive shame this isn't actually a new manufacturer rather than a branding exercise. Would love to see a proper Alfa PU back in F1. And Judd, Hart, Ford.. and so on :)

Yeah it is a massive shame this isn't actually a new manufacturer rather than a branding exercise. Would love to see a proper Alfa PU back in F1. And Judd, Hart, Ford.. and so on :)
Does Alfa even still design/produce their own engines though? I thought it's all tech adapted from FCA or Ferrari anyway. Wouldn't be much different from a Ferrari powertrain now.

Sounds more like Ferrari will be using the Alfa/Sauber deal as a Jnr driver program, there's no way they (Sauber) will get the level of technical assistance via Alfa needed to run at the top, Marchionne wouldn't allow it.
Besides all this will probably change from 2021 when the rules change, maybe this is Fiats way of keeping within F1 after Ferrari withdraw?

At the moment it's clearly only a re-branding of Ferrari F1 engines, but there's no denying that Alfa is a brand that has its roots in racing so it is always nice to see it on an F1 car. They had a good run in DTM many years ago and also in Tourism, I hope the Giulia or some other model gets back to that kind of racing too, but i guess that would need a conspicuous budget. Re-branding a Ferrari engine, instead, doesn't cost that much.

In general, I am sad that FCA group which has brands such as Alfa and Lancia just lets Ferrari monopolize the racing budget. No words could describe my happiness the day I see a Lancia in WRC again.:(

The NA Alfa V12 from the 1979-1980 seasons sounded glorious but was highly unreliable, followed by the Turbo V8 which was not only unreliable but grossly thirsty.
Shame as having 'Alfa Romeo' in F1 was a plus.
I think we are all thinking along the same lines, a re-badged Ferrari power unit........:notworthy:
FTR, FIAT originally ruled the Ferrari would do F1, Alfa Romeo touring cars and Lancia WRC.

We checked out the top of the line Quadrifoglio when it appeared on the Australian market earlier this year, out-bloody-standing car and one which my partner is seriously lusting after!
The Alfa engineers have retained the flair that they had back in the day.

Last edited:
I read this last night before going to sleep ,
but before fully reading it lol ,

was like wow this is awesome news a old competitor is back! the next ten seconds was dreaming about all the liveries ect ect , some of these old liveries was so cool looking ,

then read Pauls and Brams comments then the OP properly , some partnership with some graphics dont really fly with me so never commented before leaving , so disappointing!

• Deleted member 387850

Next you’ll be telling us a Swiss watch maker will be supplying engines to a team owned by an energy drink company :D

Fiat was investing in the italian brands when was able to take advantages and helps from the State. When this finish...

u are absolutly right my fellow fratello!
as far as my dad was not just raving bout lancia, lancia once was at the top with their own engineers and designers. because of all the effort they put into rally and evolution of new technologies therefore. makes me sad what happend to that brand.

but so many complaining bout ferrari and jr ferrari teams, even if alfa would be "allowed" to push towards ferrari, i doubt they could come close - not in the first years... idk

I would much rather have seen Alfa go into TCR or DTM or build a GT3 car out of the 4C.

Still, at least they will have a contemporary motorsport presense, so thats something to be applauded I guess.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back