Alfa Romeo back in F1

F_B

Premium
The Alfa Romeo name is returning to Formula One as Sauber has announced a new technical partnership with the Fiat-owned brand which will begin next year.

Sauber’s Ferrari engines will be branded as Alfa Romeo units from 2018. The team will carry the Alfa Romeo logos and be branded as the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team.

Source

Nice one. :)

"Sauber’s Ferrari engines will be branded as Alfa Romeo units from 2018."

What's the point?
Sure!...from a financial stand, it's good for both partners.
From a sideline view, it's nothing more than a big 'yawning' moment.
As a long-time fan of this sport, that is not what I want to see.
I want innovation.
I want teams, engine manufacturers, etc..to come in and build something of their own...even if that means competing in the mid-field while they sort it out.

Last edited:
Could be a move that allows Ferrari to leave F1 without actually leaving F1. If they rebrand the Ferrari F1 engine as Alfa Romeo they can still make money selling off their F1 stock and research while throwing a hissy fit and taking the main brand out of the sport.

And why would they want to do that?
Ferrari have been threatening to remove their brand name if they don't get their way, this allows them to keep their F1 operation going and making money while using the Ferrari brand to hold F1 to ransom. It basically means they don't have to leave the sport just remove their brand name.

As they have as long as they are in Formula (from day 1). The day Ferrari leaves F1 they will shoot themselves in the foot as they need F1 for branding and marketing.
I don't think they need F1 or F1 needs them. Everyone thinks that's the case but I don't see either company falling to pieces should Ferrari leave. F1 maybe, but I doubt it. I don't think Ferrari's F1 department plays much into the mindset of the person who buys a 488. Those cars are and always will be a status symbol that rich people will always want to buy.

I think F1 would be better off to let Ferrari go and get rid of all the brown envelopes being passed under tables to top teams so it can be a proper sport.

Saying F1 needs Ferrari is like saying all the soccer teams would stop playing if Man United left the sport.

Ciao Biscione ! :thumbsup:

Ferrari needs to still improve a lot to meet the Merc-engine and make sure Renault is not passing them in development as well next year.
I believe it to be a mainly political move from Fia-t/Chrysler to further develop the Ferrari with a stronger bond to another team, even stronger than they do already with Haas.

Looking forward to the livery :geek:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back