AIW in crossover tracks

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
I have a track where the pitlane goes over the main track, as shown in the screenshot. The trouble is, whenever the AI cars go under the tunnel while racing, they slow down to about 20/30mph, when I can easily go through the tunnel at about 100/120mph. I've tried the ISI AIW editor, along with layman's guide, but it's just too complicated.
When racing the AI on the track, I have to set the strength to 120% just for their lap times to be similar to mine. However, this means they are overpowered in the corners, and this tunnel issue cancels that out. I get left trailing about 5 seconds during a lap, and when I get to the tunnel I am suddenly only a second behind. This really ruins the racing for me, and as I don't play online, AI is important. I don't want to change the layout of the track, because this was my original plan and I really like it.
If you want to have a look at the AIW, the track can be found here: http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Croydon Grand Prix
Download v1.6.
There are no nodes under the tunnel, so there are no sudden changes of direction.
This has been a problem right from when I started this track, and I still haven't found a solution. Help?

Attachments

• aiwprob.jpg
    aiwprob.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 382
What i did with my track was a cut 'n' shut of AIW files.

I did the driving line with ISI`s editor, and the rest with BTB.

I just copy/pasted the relevant info from one to the other. Maybe you should try that?

Also, and it might be related, the Fazer`s trackmap plugin doesn`t work with my track and this could be the reason, but thats not been tested.

Have you tried adding nodes inside the tunnel so the "fast line" doesn't do that? Normally I frown on excess AIW nodes, but this is one situation that might be helped by more.

Kris - could you elaborate at all on your cut n shut technique?

Sure, no problem.

If you look at the AIW file that BTB has created for your track, it has XYZ co-ordinates for all the grid, teleport, safety car, garage spots and pit boxes. It also has the XYZ`s for all the nodes of the driving line that you can create in BTB.

Now BTB`s driving line isnt brilliant, and is alot harder (at least, i thought so) to get perfect than using ISI`s editor.

So what i did was, i had two folders of my track in my locations folder. One with the BTB AIW, and the other for ISI`s. I used ISI`s editor to create the centre line and the fast path in one track and copied all the information from that AIW file into the one BTB created, essentially overwriting ONLY the drving line waypoint information, as all the grid, pit etc. positions remained.

When you scroll down the AIW file, you`ll notice that 90% of the lines start with 'wp_' and its these that are they waypoint info you should be copy/pasting.
What i cant remember is, if you need the 38 or so lines above it which relate to other waypoint stuff.

If you decide to go this route, create multiple folders of your track for you to experiment with, because last thing i need is complaints that i ruined your track! lol

If non of that makes sense, please ask any questions you need to to make it clearer :)

EDIT: Woohooo!!! Post number 700!!!

Kris many thanks indeed. Will look into this and get back to you if that's ok with any problems or questions. Looks simpler than using the full editor in that I could use this and still gain the benefit of the btb aiw like grid setup, and hopefully will solve a similar problem I am having on a figure of 8 track I have. Cheers! :)

Kris, so using your method, were you able to separately create/control grid positions and pit positions in BTB, whilst using ISI's method to create fast line, centreline, and pit line?

I take it that BTB will not see the ISI drivelines once created as the BTB project files do not contain the explicit AIW file, they only generate one in Locations on export of the BTB project to rF.

EDIT: Looking at the AIW file, the sections are actually quite clear with [GRID], [Waypoint], etc. Didn't notice this on first glance.

Pretty much Alex, yes.

You just have to watch that when you export, to back up your ISI/BTB hybrid, otheriwse it will be overwritten every time.

Also, if you move any of the track, kerbs or anything else that would render your drive line useless, then you have to do it again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back