Is the AI going to be updated ?

Hey, i did tweet this to Race-room, but thought i'd also place it on here, but is the AI going to be updated as it seems quite aggressive, it would be quite a good idea to have a slider bar for aggression, the adaptive AI works a treat!
Along with all the great GT cars we now have, will night/day progression with multi-class racing be considered?
sorry if these seem to be repeated questions, this is my first post.
Great sim guys, really awesome work!

The AI aggression could definitely use some work. I find the rear end shunts become less of a problem if you're using the adaptive AI, though they still like to turn in on you when they really shouldn't. I like R3E's AI better than most other sims though. They feel less robotic since they make mistakes and can buckle under pressure.

As for day/night and multi-class, it would be great to see but I'm not really up to speed on what S3 have planned for the future. Only recently got into R3E myself.

The R3E is under constant development, and thus changes are likely.
There's probably going to be another revision in the patch coming end-March.
But it's a fine balancing-act between having over-aggressive opponents and having anaemic opponents that give way constantly.
I actually like the current version, and it's very raceable if you treat it like a human opponent.
Yes, there are combos that give the AI trouble, mainly with open-wheelers and some of the heavier cars like Gr. 5s and GTOs, but overall it's far better than most other AI out there.

The day/night cycle, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Once GTR3 gets made, and the Unreal engine subsequently gets migrated to R3E, then we can talk.
But the current R3E engine is quite frankly ancient, and I doubt it'll be possible to have night-races, let alone progressions.

Agree they race more realist but it's the AI awareness of you on track is the issue. I'm BTCC fanboy I know it gets bumpy out there , don't mind the love taps but it's the full on shunts are the spoiler.
Those are rarely a problem in my experience.
No, let me rephrase that. It's rarely a problem when racing against the correct AI level.
A lot of the complaints on the S3 forums can be tracked down to people not taking the time (for whatever reason) to find their correct level, or even worse, try racing adaptive with pre-patch data in their index-file.
Also, people seem to think that if they can race one combo at level 110, that means they can race all combos at that level.
In reality, my own level ranges from 98 (GT3 at Nords) to 120 (NSU at Norisring).
Trying to run either combo at the reverse level would end in an unmitigated disaster. :D

Again, I'm not a blinkered fan-boy. I'm fully aware (as is S3 presumably) that there are trouble-spots with certain combos, and I'll be the first to admit that the collision-physics needs some serious looking at.
But on the other hand, over the past few weeks, I've taken combos that people on the S3 forums have claimed were un-raceable, and with a single exception managed to do just fine in all of them.

So it's a combination of a lot of things. There are various issues concerning the AI, and some of the older tracks have less than optimal AIW lines programmed. Never go to the inside of T2 at Nürburgring for example, they'll shunt you off in an instant. :D
And while I won't just dismiss people as being bad drivers, some of the videos I've seen posted as evidence of bad AI, have also shown some pretty crappy race-craft to be honest. :)

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Paul hit the nail on the head. It's not that the AI is bad at driving, it's just they're not very aware of the player. But I suppose that's where any AI will fall down really, because humans are completely unpredictable which flies in the face of AI decision making. As you say, it's a balancing act. Coming from AC with it's AI fearful of overtaking anything, I know which one I prefer at the moment.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Paul hit the nail on the head. It's not that the AI is bad at driving, it's just they're not very aware of the player. But I suppose that's where any AI will fall down really, because humans are completely unpredictable which flies in the face of AI decision making. As you say, it's a balancing act. Coming from AC with it's AI fearful of overtaking anything, I know which one I prefer at the moment.
I just bought R3E monday. Coming from AC to. I bought the deal for 116 $ CAD (I got every car and track)
First night, I was OMG this game suck!!! then I try whit adaptive ai and the silhouete and wtcc 2015 and whit lot of patience and crashing whit IA... I finally get it. You need to treat them like humans. You need to calculate your move and be patient. I am playing simulator for more than 15 years, and it's been a while since I've had fun like this! AC is amazing but these 2 major issues that they dont care or I dont know... IA and ligtning (always dark in this game...). So for no I am still satisfied whit my new buy

I don't like racing the AI in AC and while still not perfect in R3E it has come a long way over the past year or so. I've had some epic races against the AI in R3E, they can really put up a fight! Yes, they make mistakes at times (drive into you) if you are too slow or are not careful to respect their lines but for the most part I'm happy with the experience. rF2 is the only other sim I can say has better AI (my opinion).

Last edited:
After 15 hours on R3E, i spend Time try out different tracks. The problem from crashing IA out off No where when they follow you is verry exuberant. I play Whit adaptive IA. Everything is fine whitout that ****.
Didnt play rf2.. graphic from 2005..… not enough for me. I guess gtr3 Will be THE game!

This is even more blatant when you spin in the middle of the track and a car behind just rams you head on with more than enough time to brake or avoid you.

Hey, i did tweet this to Race-room, but thought i'd also place it on here, but is the AI going to be updated as it seems quite aggressive, it would be quite a good idea to have a slider bar for aggression, the adaptive AI works a treat!
Along with all the great GT cars we now have, will night/day progression with multi-class racing be considered?
sorry if these seem to be repeated questions, this is my first post.
Great sim guys, really awesome work!
I was just going to post the same question. I noticed Jimmy Broadbent on YouTube running some AI races in R3E and not seeming to have the same issues.. He's I guess a bit more competitive than I am though :) I've been trying both the Adaptive AI and for example what Jimmy selects 108% and in both cases when I try DTM 2016 in say Nurburgring, Zanvoort or Zolder if the AI come up behind you, and there's even room for them to pass they'll bump you and you spin out.. I noticed the same with FR US open wheel. I've switched to trying some online races instead.. Although one random Nordschleife VLN practice session I found included several cars driving in the wrong direction and on one occasion I got hit head-on and with damage on the car was totalled ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back