PC1 Ai still horrendous!

Msportdan

@Simberia
After reinstalling and completing my First karting career, with 100% ai and winning it. I came to a McLaren f1event at zolder. This race is a 3 hour slog, so I put the race to 1% which makes it half an hour.

Not only is the car quite a handful anyway, trying to avoid not getting hit smashed off rearended or taken off into the sand with about what seems 50% of the field on the 1st lap, is a exercise in utter frustration. I just couldn't finish a race. Because even if you do survive the first lap mayhem, anytime you came up to a AI, you SHI& scared to go near them!!

Firstly ive stopped my career as im wondering how many races are like this. 1)racing road sport cars for a boring amount of time, and 2)then the AIs that cant seem to keep on the track. Shame because they can put up good battles. Too often that not though it means you getting hit.

Also anyone notice the AI never spin round, they do this sorta snap back to centre thingy.

Anyway as you can tell im still a little wound up by my recent pcars visit, and have simply come on here to ask........

is this a regular occurance in the career?
One being the poor AI, and two the long boring races with roadcars.

Suppose im asking this as I don't want to waste my time pursuing this if theres more frustration to come, and I can spend my time playing other sims.

Last edited:
think the AIs good still..?!

load up the McLaren f1s at zolder..?

go on just try it, lol

Did you try that before they fixed the F1 by any chance?? Until the last patch, the default tyres on the F1 were 1980s Dunlops (from the Ruf) - which offered all the grip of silk gloves on wet ice ;0

Also - given that the last SMS game (Shift2)'s AI couldn't actually drive cars like the F1 AT ALL - anything is progress ;0

And inconsistent AI is probably what you want - real drivers are inconsistent and racing incidents happen - it's "simulating reality" - that's what sims should do ;0

For me, a perfect racing game would

a - make me work - not just for 1st but for ANY placing until I'd earned it
b - contain some offs/accidents/bad days/bad seasons

This idea of running perfect races with perfect AI who all behave impecably come from fantasy land - we should relish of a bit of 'oooh and ahhhh' - it should not spoil our enjoyment (racing is a journey, not just the result)

Shame none of that is in this game.

All you have to work for is not being divebombed or wiped out, because as soon as they are out of divebomb range they can´t touch your pace.

The offs/accidents/bad seasons are not "some" but "pretty much all of them".

Currently running a career in pCars. I have the AI at 80%. I outpaced the AI in the FG1000. Won the championship (2 races) pretty easily. Signed a contract with a GT4 team. I kept the AI at 80% and they are quicker than me by about 2.5 to 3 seconds. I'm driving the Ginetta which has a rear end that behaves very strangely. I don't know what to think about this yet. It's only been one race.

Shame none of that is in this game.

All you have to work for is not being divebombed or wiped out, because as soon as they are out of divebomb range they can´t touch your pace.

The offs/accidents/bad seasons are not "some" but "pretty much all of them".

I've not had a race (I've done maybe 30-40 full race events) spoiled by the AI yet - maybe it's car/driver specific - maybe people have different expectations - but saying the AI is 'horrendous' is just plain wrong.

It implies it's universally bad (it's clearly not) - it also implies other games are so much better (but fails to mention which ones because I've clearly missed their existence!!)

Did you try that before they fixed the F1 by any chance?? Until the last patch, the default tyres on the F1 were 1980s Dunlops (from the Ruf) - which offered all the grip of silk gloves on wet ice ;0

Also - given that the last SMS game (Shift2)'s AI couldn't actually drive cars like the F1 AT ALL - anything is progress ;0

And inconsistent AI is probably what you want - real drivers are inconsistent and racing incidents happen - it's "simulating reality" - that's what sims should do ;0

For me, a perfect racing game would

a - make me work - not just for 1st but for ANY placing until I'd earned it
b - contain some offs/accidents/bad days/bad seasons

This idea of running perfect races with perfect AI who all behave impecably come from fantasy land - we should relish of a bit of 'oooh and ahhhh' - it should not spoil our enjoyment (racing is a journey, not just the result)

There's a difference in inconsistent AI and the AI in this game though. While yes, it's inconsistent, it is in very bad ways at times. Primarily in how they have no regard for the player's existence at times, let alone for maintaining their own car so they can actually stay in the race. Real drivers inconsistent in this aspect wouldn't be allowed to set foot on a race track.

You'd think of all the things they would be programed to do, that staying in the race and not getting knocked out due to running into the player would be one of their top priorities.

I've not had a race (I've done maybe 30-40 full race events) spoiled by the AI yet - maybe it's car/driver specific - maybe people have different expectations - but saying the AI is 'horrendous' is just plain wrong.

It implies it's universally bad (it's clearly not) - it also implies other games are so much better (but fails to mention which ones because I've clearly missed their existence!!)

They AI has it's moments, but it without question can be absolutely horrendous at times to the point of making career mode a waste of time. It's inconsistency to not be horrendous is what the problem is - and no this has nothing to do with other games. This game having impressive AI in some areas doesn't excuse the behavior of the AI at other times.

Oh, okay. I always assume people are on PC. My bad. I gotta stop doing that. Hope you see some positive changes when you try it.

I finally started a career last night, for the first time. I selected the FG1000 series. I only did the first two races and each was only three laps at that. I had only two minor incidents of contact. The AI was constantly harassing and taking looks inside if I didn't defend the inside but there were no dive-bombs or anything like that. It's looking okay so far. I was running the AI at 80%.

I am going to make the races longer and will report back. I could even record the races and post them up. Anyone want me to do that?
You know I do! hahahaha! But for real; post em.

Note to self: stay away from the Ginnetta G55 GT4!

So, the AI are more aggressive in the tin tops so far. Nothing horrible yet but it's hard to tell because the back end of this Ginetta is killing me. Both under braking and then under acceleration as well! WTF! It wasn't like this before...was it?

So I decided to hunt out this mythical "horrendous AI"

I've done loads of Clios, Classic TCs and various GTs but I've not tried any Formula cars - so I thought I'd start there.

Started in the Rookie - Brands - dry->wet race - Full Damage - didn't bother qualifying or trying the car first (e.g. started at the back of the grid in a car I'd never driven) - and for extra disaster potential I turned the AI down because - as it's horrendous - that would highlight it better (and I needed some chance from 20th!!)

I had 4x5 lap thrilling races - loads of fun. Only 1 incident of note - car destroyed - as much my fault as theirs as I kept dry tyres on a soaking track. Otherwise I could overtake and even go through corners 2 and 3 wide without issues, car took a few knocks without breaking, had a few great dices and nothing horrendous about it (well, apart from a man telling me it's going to rain when it already IS raining - and he just gave me wet tyres in a pitstop!!)

"Ah but that's the rookies" I hear you say - so I dialled it up to the 'C's and - erm - much the same tbh - how much higher do I need to go to find this mythical horrendousness??

We might need to tighten the rumours on this 'horrendousness' a bit - we need more specifics of which cars/tracks/settings you're failing to get along with (notes Ginetta from above - I'll try that next)

p.s. thanks for pushing me into trying those cars - I had fun ;)

you dont have to "hunt" for it all its the first road car race you do (mclaren f1 @ zolder 3 hour), from a kart career lol!!

you still havent tried my car and track combo...

im not joking.. try it,, tell me what happens with about 50% of the field at the first corner. im sure there is good combos for the ai, but in career that doesnt help.

I've tried the F1 - hence how I know it used-to-have the wrong tyres (and improved markedly if you changed em!) . The thing is tho, it's a roadcar - I've no desire to race roadcars on a racetrack on account of how that's not what they're for - even the mighty F1 is not designed for racing - it has road tyres designed for potholes and rain - it will SUCK on a track (this isn't Need for Speed - we don't race roadcars on racetracks)

Also - career mode isn't a set thing?? You choose what you want to race - I've never been offered a race in F1s - I started in Karts and hated them so restarted in Clios (you can have as many careers on-the-go as you like on the PC version - which is nice) and now I seem to be being offered everything on earth EXCEPT GTs ;0

p.s. I tried the Ginetta - it's very pushy, has almost no understeer - I turned-down the steering a bit to cope but it's overheating it's tyres even in a practice session so I'd suggest there's something amiss in it's suspension setup. It's raceable tho - I quite enjoyed it - you can "Chris Harris" every corner if you wish ;0

i agree with your first paragraph, hence why i play RF2 and gsce, over pcars. Its just that i like to try anything on 4 wheels, the more difficult the better. but that pcars race with the AI the game wont let you, as you are lucky to survive the AI onslaught.

you dont have to "hunt" for it all its the first road car race you do (mclaren f1 @ zolder 3 hour), from a kart career lol!!

you still havent tried my car and track combo...

im not joking.. try it,, tell me what happens with about 50% of the field at the first corner. im sure there is good combos for the ai, but in career that doesnt help.
I wonder if career AI is coded differently to the quick race one. I just have done 7 race starts at the combo and it was not that bad atall. I was hit once (sideswiped) and hit a car myself twice in another try but really didn't think it was too bad. Certainly not the chaos I expected Annoying how the AI can keep up the pace through the kitty litter though:sneaky:. I only did a couple of laps each time before restarting.
There are issues but I really think that calling it horrendous is rather over egging the pudding.

Note to self: stay away from the Ginnetta G55 GT4!

So, the AI are more aggressive in the tin tops so far. Nothing horrible yet but it's hard to tell because the back end of this Ginetta is killing me. Both under braking and then under acceleration as well! WTF! It wasn't like this before...was it?

Yeah, I've found the Ginetta GT4 a real handful (but fastest in the Gt4 psuedo class). very rear end heavy.

As I couldn't find any regulations for the Gt4 class, I went under the assumption that it is based on GT3 - ie with TC and ABS allowed. So I cranked that TC right up!
Set the brakes more rear biased too, as well as lowered fuel load.

This calmed it right down, but it still had enough to hold it's own against the rest of the class.

i agree with your first paragraph, hence why i play RF2 and gsce, over pcars. Its just that i like to try anything on 4 wheels, the more difficult the better. but that pcars race with the AI the game wont let you, as you are lucky to survive the AI onslaught.
You have to separate personal preference and wild statements like "horrendous AI" and "AI onslaught".

A game not playing the way you expect is entirely a personal problem, the key to enjoying a game is playing the game on-offer - not the one in your head (this is the path to ruin)

A game which is broken - which has 'horrendous' AI for example - is everyone's problem - cept not everyone seems to have the problem, so...

To repeat what I said earlier, which cars (not roadcars - racecars please) and tracks and what sort of race/AI settings are you running (damage and so on) to see this 'horrendous' behaviour?

it was enough to make me stop playing. Ive seen the AI behaviour on other tracks and cars, so figured it wont be different elsewhere...

Get the Ai on their own theyre okay, in a pack its like a drunk destruction derby,..

so yeah sticking with HORRENDOUS AI.... AND AI ONSLAUGHT...

You have to separate personal preference and wild statements like "horrendous AI" and "AI onslaught".

A game not playing the way you expect is entirely a personal problem, the key to enjoying a game is playing the game on-offer - not the one in your head (this is the path to ruin)

A game which is broken - which has 'horrendous' AI for example - is everyone's problem - cept not everyone seems to have the problem, so...

To repeat what I said earlier, which cars (not roadcars - racecars please) and tracks and what sort of race/AI settings are you running (damage and so on) to see this 'horrendous' behaviour?

What would you call a game that has bugs and issues in literally every aspect of the gameplay?

However, AI is not everyone's problem, for instance, because not everyone plays the AI. Some purely hotlap, some purely play multiplayer and some only play multiplayer in leagues. So just because everyone doesn't complain doesn't mean there isn't an issue. I think the sole evidence that proves this is an issue is the 90+ page thread on their official forums.

To suggest that the AI in this game has no problem and that any issues people bring up are due to how they play the game and their expectations is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I made AIW's (ai fast paths,pitlanes,pitstalls,starting grids,etc.) plus Ai car, tire, engine settings for Nascar Heat, Race07, rFactor and discovered it's impossible to achieve a universal ai that is capable of great performance on every track with every car model so this is why you experience good and terrible ai on different combinations of tracks and cars!

What i done for personal use is make tracks packs for each car make i love to race. These track packs use specific fine-tuned AIW's (Ai fast paths) which contain the Ai braking points and their fast lanes for a specific car model. By using this method i achieved some of the very best Ai possible and very satisfied with my results.

In my opinion using comparison tests from these three sims i would give #1 rF2 ,#2 Pcars, #3 Assetto Corsa for the best universal Ai. When i make specific track packs for rF2 it will have by far the very best Ai that's possible. I'am waiting for the new Endurance mod and track pack for their Indycar and my work will begin.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years