AI Speed after Saving

I was wondering if there is a known bug/workaround for what I am seeing.

After qualifying if I "save" the race and exit/re-enter some of the AI cars no longer show a 'class' and their speed on the track is almost as if they are ignoring physics, they go way faster than they would normally.

I did not experience this at some other circuits, but right now I am testing around 70Sebring and this seems to happen whenever I use the 'save' function during a race and resume.

Any help would be appreciated!

it already happened to me, ai cars went crazy just after restoring a saved game : I don't know why, perhaps a bad/corrupted saved game.
Workaround : click START button to drive your car, then hit ESC button and select RESTART SESSION. After doing that, Ai behavior became normal and I was able to continue the championship.

Reactions: Sil
  • Deleted member 1053025

it already happened to me, ai cars went crazy just after restoring a saved game : I don't know why, perhaps a bad/corrupted saved game.
Workaround : click START button to drive your car, then hit ESC button and select RESTART SESSION. After doing that, Ai behavior became normal and I was able to continue the championship.
Hi, sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I've encountered the same problem with any save. AI just goes psychotic as if they dont see my car any more after loading the save and punt me off any time they come near me. The suggested workaround does restore them to normal behaviour but kinda makes save function a meme for longer races...
Any other suggestions as to what could help?
I'm using HQ 16th anniv. with latest patch 10 (IIRC), with SHO AI/physics and HQ tyres.
Regards, Tinman

Last edited by a moderator:
it happens sometimes but not always and I still have no idea why ???
As I often modify the files, maybe gtr2 does not like when saved game has different AI/physics from the actual AI/physics and goes crazy when mismatch ???

Late to the Party but does someone have a solution? Im too using the 16th Aniversary Patch with new P&G physics. The AI goes bezerk after restoring a saved game. If there is no solution, the save option has become obsolete.

I never investigated this deeply, but I am under the impression is that it happens only with some mods. Did anyone else notice that? Now, as GTR233 mentions, changing car files will for sure mess things up, but what about with no edits?

Someone metioned to me once that problem is caused by GTR2 not reloading .rcd files on load from save and one day I am going to check if that is the case.

This tool might be helpful in analyzing the AI state before and after: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/g...GEPMonitor.zip Requires CCGEP.

Last edited:
I never investigated this deeply, but I am under the impression is that it happens only with some mods. Did anyone else notice that? Now, as GTR233 mentions, changing car files will for sure mess things up, but what about with no edits?

Someone metioned to me once that problem is caused by GTR2 not reloading .rcd files on load from save and one day I am going to check if that is the case.

This tool might be helpful in analyzing the AI state before and after: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/g...GEPMonitor.zip Requires CCGEP.
I only used "stock" P&G cars. I tried it on stock tracks and modded tracks. It's happening on both. What does this tool do?

I only used "stock" P&G cars. I tried it on stock tracks and modded tracks. It's happening on both. What does this tool do?
this tool displays runtime stats about AI. I needed it to be able to set events up better, like to see how many times they pit, if there are pit conflicts, what tires they wear etc. But I also needed it for future potential AI fixes, so I may be adding more things as needed if I ever get to AI.

You run this tool together with GTR2 and you can see some info in other window. To get familiar with it, start GTR2 in small window and let AI drive the race, and observe stats. I mentioned it because I know you run CCGEP, and perhaps something will stand out by checking before/after state?

Last edited:
this tool displays runtime stats about AI. I needed it to be able to set events up better, like to see how many times they pit, if there are pit conflicts, what tires they wear etc. But I also needed it for future potential AI fixes, so I may be adding more things as needed if I ever get to AI.

You run this tool together with GTR2 and you can see some info in other window. To get familiar with it, start GTR2 in small window and let AI drive the race, and observe stats. I mentioned it because I know you run CCGEP, and perhaps something will stand out by checking before/after state?
Cool. Will check it out for sure. Maybe I find a bug! Another thing that needs fixing is that the AI sometimes stays in the pit in a Quali session without doing a timed lap which totally messes up the grid in the following race session. I haven't found a pattern yet.

Clutching at straws here (I've never saved a race) but wonder if this is related to the AI qualifying bug which has them much too fast if you do not allow them to run a complete qual session. In that case the issue is the game will assign a qual time based on some internal multiple of their lap time; this can be addressed via a "ComparativeTime=xxx" line at the bottom of the car file, which overrides the default value, values are typically 1.01-1.15, the car's computed lap time is multiplied by this to get the qualifying time. Checking all installed cars you will find some have this line some do not.

Could it be that this is somehow injected into a saved race thus affecting the AI when the race is resumed?

Late to the Party but does someone have a solution? Im too using the 16th Aniversary Patch with new P&G physics. The AI goes bezerk after restoring a saved game. If there is no solution, the save option has become obsolete.
I haven't tested this yet with all the modern tweaks, but at least back in the old days the solution I found was fairly simple. 1: load your save. 2: Complete a lap. 3: quit and load again.

So to me it seems like the game doesn't load everything properly on the first try.

I can't guarantee that this works but it should be worth a try I think.

Last edited:
Clutching at straws here (I've never saved a race) but wonder if this is related to the AI qualifying bug which has them much too fast if you do not allow them to run a complete qual session. In that case the issue is the game will assign a qual time based on some internal multiple of their lap time; this can be addressed via a "ComparativeTime=xxx" line at the bottom of the car file, which overrides the default value, values are typically 1.01-1.15, the car's computed lap time is multiplied by this to get the qualifying time. Checking all installed cars you will find some have this line some do not.

Could it be that this is somehow injected into a saved race thus affecting the AI when the race is resumed?
Thats an interesting theory.

just a small demo of one of the views in the tool:
I thought I'd share it because this morning it was very helpful to me. I am building DTM 1991 grid from multiple mods, and I found some differences (default compound) which otherwise would've been much harder to notice and fix.
1674681331092.png

just a small demo of one of the views in the tool:
I thought I'd share it because this morning it was very helpful to me. I am building DTM 1991 grid from multiple mods, and I found some differences (default compound) which otherwise would've been much harder to notice and fix.
View attachment 634220
Very Nice. I'm searching something like this for a long time. Looks promising. I will try it next week. I will contact you if I'm not sure how to get it to run, if I may.

I'm not sure how to use this plugin. Should I extract it to my GTR2 Plugin Folder and run it?
Extract .zip anywhere you want, and run included .exe. Then start GTR2 with CCGEP installed. Enter some session and alt+tab out, you should see some data in the monitor app. This app is a real time monitor for GTR2. If you have multiple monitors, you can run monitor on another screen. For preparing events, I usually run GTR2 in small window and let AI drive and figure out things I need to know.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies