AI Line Helper

Apps AI Line Helper 2022.03.08

Login or Register an account to download this content
Can persons who don't have the app still use the created files?

The Side_L.csv and Side_R.csv that the AI Line Helper creates are supported natively by AC. You can distribute them to anyone else that would like to use them when creating new AI Lines. From what I can gather reading the official AC forums Kunos uses these types of files internally, but does not distribute them. Modders may also be using them, but since the "track boundary" information gets baked into the fast_lane.ai it's assumed there's no need to distribute them.

The Side_L.csv and Side_R.csv that the AI Line Helper creates are supported natively by AC. You can distribute them to anyone else that would like to use them when creating new AI Lines. From what I can gather reading the official AC forums Kunos uses these types of files internally, but does not distribute them. Modders may also be using them, but since the "track boundary" information gets baked into the fast_lane.ai it's assumed there's no need to distribute them.
So if I want to share my work I just share the fastlane?

So if I want to share my work I just share the fastlane?
AC attempts to detect when there are new side line files and "bakes" them into the fast_lane.AI. You can force AC to load (and bake) the new side files into the fast_lane.ai using the shift key when you start a session. After you've created the side lines you need to start a new session for AC to load those new side lines into the fast_lane, but after that you can distribute just the fast_lane for folks to enjoy using AI with the newly defined boundaries.

To test this for yourself you can move the side_*.csv files out of the tracks data folder and then look at the side lines using the kunos dev tools AI app.

I can verify that the AI Line Helper is not functioning as expected on p2p tracks. It does not start tracking until after you cross the start/finish, which does not work for p2p tracks. I'll see what I can do about fixing this.

Let me know if I understand the purpose of this app, besides improving the AI features for each track. Can I use this to create AI lines adapted to my skill level? I love AC, but one of the reasons I don't play it too often anymore is the level of the default AI, along with the impossibility to save between sesions of the same event. I'm fairly new to the game and don't have the money, nor the space for a proper setup with wheel and pedals so I have to stick with a gamepad. The AI is obviously designed for wheel players, and I cannot drive as quick as them with a pad. It takes time to adjust the AI sliders to my needs, time I would rather spend playing the game itself. If I can just record a lap time around any track and use that time to create an adaptative AI I can race against, my life would be a bit happier. :)

Let me know if I understand the purpose of this app, besides improving the AI features for each track. Can I use this to create AI lines adapted to my skill level? I love AC, but one of the reasons I don't play it too often anymore is the level of the default AI, along with the impossibility to save between sesions of the same event. I'm fairly new to the game and don't have the money, nor the space for a proper setup with wheel and pedals so I have to stick with a gamepad. The AI is obviously designed for wheel players, and I cannot drive as quick as them with a pad. It takes time to adjust the AI sliders to my needs, time I would rather spend playing the game itself. If I can just record a lap time around any track and use that time to create an adaptative AI I can race against, my life would be a bit happier. :)
I'm guessing you've already set the AI at 80% and it's still to fast? You're next step might be fiddling with the AI.ini to slow them down that way.

No, that's not the problem. I can easily beat the AI at 80% on most cases, but I have to find an exact percentage with each car and track that more or less matches my performance, which obviously varies depending of those variables. And that takes a lot of time.

No, that's not the problem. I can easily beat the AI at 80% on most cases, but I have to find an exact percentage with each car and track that more or less matches my performance, which obviously varies depending of those variables. And that takes a lot of time.

The AI Line Helper is not going to help with that problem, and I think that's a problem that many people may have with AC and other SimRacing titles in general. Most SimRacers (and SimRacing titles) are focused more on realism and driver progression, and auto-adjusting the AI may be a little too "fake" if simulation and accurate measuring of your performance is the goal.

AC now features ballast and fuel restrictors for providing Balance of Performance (BoP) online. I've been wondering for awhile now if I could automate the application of BoP offline to help "auto-adjust" the AI strength (to make the racing more engaging at the expense of realism). If I ever get a chance to test that theory and make that app I'll be sure to let you know. :)

@Gilles75 sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the app to run. Did you enable it in the settings? AI Line Helper is separate from AI dev app, and should show up near the bottom of your apps when you mouse over to the right side of the screen.

@Gilles75 sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the app to run. Did you enable it in the settings? AI Line Helper is separate from AI dev app, and should show up near the bottom of your apps when you mouse over to the right side of the screen.
He has an ancient version of AC, maybe that is the problem

He has an ancient version of AC, maybe that is the problem
I'm running version 1.14, which I think is the most recent version. I have installed the app in the right place (i know this because I've installed other apps that work so i know what I'm doing) but this AI app is not showing up in the apps menu.

I'm running version 1.14, which I think is the most recent version. I have installed the app in the right place (i know this because I've installed other apps that work so i know what I'm doing) but this AI app is not showing up in the apps menu.
Maybe you have to activate the app in AC under settings?

As a note, while testing AI at Hockenheim 88 I was able to verify that if you record a new fast_lane AC does not automatically bake the recorded side lines into the file until you restart the session and hold down the "SHIFT" key (which you must do after renaming your fast_lane.ai.candidate to fast_lane.ai).

Cheers,

Esotic

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 309 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 156 7.8%