AI Difficulty

Hi guys.

I love this game, but i have a problem with IA difficulty. I cant put it right. Or i won always, or i lose always.

Is there any program that says the dificulty that is most adapted to me, or something like that? Or you can give me some hints how to adjust that?

Thank's

The best way to be able to set the AI to a specific value is to run the dedicated server locally on your system and then run the game and join that server. In the server setup you can specify the level the AI will run. I believe the default is 95% I usually set the AI to run at 105% as this is the most challenging for me at the moment. It is tough for me to win as this setting, but I am just practicing so that is ok. This gives me the best shot at working on driving in traffic.

As mentioned by Ross, you will have to play with the numbers to get them set to where you need and want them, but once you get it done you are not done :) You will improve and so will have to raise the level of AI in order to keep the racing interesting.

Give it a shot and have some fun :)

The best way to be able to set the AI to a specific value is to run the dedicated server locally on your system and then run the game and join that server.

Just curious, but is how is running on a server any different than running an offline race weekend? Am I missing something important that I should know about?

what i do is do a single race weekend, set the AI, and watch what laptimes they are doing. you can then compare their lap times with your own, and come up with a suitable level for the AI, by adjusting. though, make them a little weaker than you should on comparision lap times to take account for human mistakes/lack of consistancy, if you struggle during a full race for concenration. though this lowers the difficulty and thus the reward for having a perfect race.

The game normally only allows you to set the AI to 100%, by running the dedicated server you can set the AI higher. This will allow you to fine tune the AI to be competitive with you as you progress instead of leaving them behind all the time.

Seems I am missing something hehe, it has been a bit since I set AI for offline racing and apparently they have allowed it to be set higher than 100% now. I didn't know so I am now better educated :)

Also, something to think about. The AI strength can be different if you are running a custom track. On some downloaded content you set the AI to 110% and they seem like they're on about 60%, usually braking stupidly early and in silly places, but I suppose thats to be expected on extra content. Just something to watch out for.

Takes more time and effort, but if you want to make a championship and run it with a good fight (not a good AI fight, because they are rubbish, but similar pace to yours), you can adjust the tracks you need for a standard difficulty, by tweaking a few things in the track's AIW file, such as the adjusts (worst, mid, best) and ratios (qual and race). It's more fun than having one difficult event, and then an easy one, and so on.

One big reason to race the AI on Simbin-made tracks is that you get a consistent AI behaviour for a particular % setting. Downloaded/mod tracks vary wildly or have limited AI pathing meaning the AI doesn't vary with multiple lines, much less fun to race against. Personally I find that I have to set the AI based on how well I know a track and how good my car setup is, but I can generally find a good setting to pose a challenge without frustration.

A question for other AI users: Do you notice more AI mistakes since the latest Race07 patch and the new content? I've been driving AI races with the WTCC 2010 and GT cars and I'm now seeing regular mistakes including wheels over the grass and getting loose on braking. I had 2 AI cars in front of me touch and one spin off even. It is excellent, adds a lot to immersion feeling.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 225 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 153 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 217 14.2%