AI Difficulty

I've recently started playing with Race Room, after a long time on Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I had my first couple of races against the AI over the weekend. The first, I had the AI set to 90%, as I thought I'd start off conservatively, and found that I was several seconds a lap quicker. Then, at 100% I found I was still quite a bit quicker than the AI.

My question really is, what settings are experienced racers using for AI races? I understand you can turn the AI up to 120%. Should I be using the adaptive setting as well?

I've recently started playing with Race Room, after a long time on Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I had my first couple of races against the AI over the weekend. The first, I had the AI set to 90%, as I thought I'd start off conservatively, and found that I was several seconds a lap quicker. Then, at 100% I found I was still quite a bit quicker than the AI.

My question really is, what settings are experienced racers using for AI races? I understand you can turn the AI up to 120%. Should I be using the adaptive setting as well?

I think many on here allow the AI to adapt. That's what I use. They are pretty good but they still use you as an extra brake sometimes if you are on their line.

I’m not experienced, but I tend to have them on 100% I had it in 90 and it was too easy, I personally don’t like to have it on adaptive cos then you’ve got no reference to how much you’ve improved. My theory is that once I start kicking arse on 100% My driving’s progressing, then I’ll move it up 5% and see how I do.

I’m not experienced, but I tend to have them on 100% I had it in 90 and it was too easy, I personally don’t like to have it on adaptive cos then you’ve got no reference to how much you’ve improved. My theory is that once I start kicking arse on 100% My driving’s progressing, then I’ll move it up 5% and see how I do.

Some might say improved lap times are your reference.

To get a very good explanation of AAI I would suggest Lars explanation as it is very informative.
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/training-the-adaptive-ai.121215/

I tried something a bit different, by selecting a single car and track that I can set consistent lap times with and set my AI accordingly for that combination, then use it for all cars and tracks. My logic behind this is by setting it where I am at my best will only make me push myself to get better at the ones I am not.

To do this I complete practice and qualifying at a minimum. Because I found that my lap times maybe fastest when compared to the AI during practice but then mid pack when qualifying even though my lap time in qualie was quicker than my practice time. If I do qualify on pole I bump up the AI by 5% and start over. I repeat this until which time I qualify mid pack, if further back I split the difference and that is where I am at now at 107.

I then quit and do a race only, at that AI setting, and place my car at the back of the grid. If I finish mid pack to slightly better I consider this good and then proceed at this AI setting for all races and championships.

Repeat and adjust as you get better.

Last edited:
I don't race the AI much but I'd go with adaptive, personally. As with most racing sims, the AI tends to be faster in certain cars and on certain tracks than others, so it's hard to find a specific AI setting that works across the board. With adaptive they will adapt to your own pace so in time you should face a challenge wherever you race without the need for constant testing/tweaking.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 110 44.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 117 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 69 27.8%
Back