AI default setup and gear ratios

I have a pretty simple question that I just couldn't find an answer for anywhere.

How do you change the default setup of a certain car and more specifically it's gear ratios?

I found a lot of posts about sharing a setup for a certain track but none for the actual baseline the game loads as default.

I can't find an actual default svm file for any vehicle so I figure the default setup must come from some other car specific file in vehicles directory.

And just as I posted I lucked out and checked the right file. It seems to be the xxx.hdv file that controls the default setup.

Oh well this could be useful for someone I guess.

This is useful! Thank you for asking the question and then for sharing the answer you found. :) Might help budding modders learn how to change the default setup of their car mod in the future, or help players who have one of the many cruddier mods out there which ship with cruddy default setups :p

This is useful! Thank you for asking the question and then for sharing the answer you found. :) Might help budding modders learn how to change the default setup of their car mod in the future, or help players who have one of the many cruddier mods out there which ship with cruddy default setups :p
No problem. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while and finally had the motivation to look for a solution. No more AI Ferraris cruising at the back hitting the limiter at 270kph at Spa for me!

Since this became an info dump post might as well add that the gear ratios are set with serial numbers (option 1, 2, 3 etc.) in the hdv file and the corresponding ratios are found in the gears.ini file in vehicles directory in decending order.

If you drive the Ferrari yourself and change its setup then save that setup you can find the setup file and rename it to an svm for the track. Thus creating different Ai gear ratios for each track. You may have already realised this, sorry if you did.

In rfactor, GTL, GTR2, and I assume other tiles using the same engine the hdv/hdc file is not just part of the physics but specifies the default setup by the base parameters. For example, a string of (100, 20, 1) designates a base setting of 100 which can be adjusted over a range of 20 in increments of 1. So if you always change certain settings in the garage before even taking the car to a track you can edit that car's hdc file so your settings become default.

In rfactor there are a couple of lines in the plr file which will make the AI always use your setups; in GTL/GTR2 you must copy your setups to the mod folder and rename them properly for the AI to use them.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 88 30.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 58 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 63 21.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.2%