After 1.3 sometimes missing down-shift ?

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
I've noticed since 1.3 that I often miss 3rd gear when trying to shift down from 4th with sequential ( Paddles or stick ) ?
The gear stays in 4th and I have to shift again to get down to 3rd.

No problems with this in Dirt Rally

Anyone else having this problem ?

Then it's a non issue.

Online i don't know, never setup a server, but offline you can configure it! And YES it's and issue, it's tottaly unrealistic configuring levels of SLIPSTREAM! WTF??? That's why i say that DSP should be turned ON by default but configurable!

We're losing control over the "sim", all those features should be configurable! We already have neutral ONLY at start of the race, automatic speed limiter in pits, now this DSP, one of these days we'll have an option for the car to drive alone...

I dont agree that slipstream should be configurable and the same goes for the new transmission parameters, maybe @Radu Oros can shed some light on why a slipstream feature may have been included. That goes back to what I said before, if you give an inch then they'll take a mile. Kunos should be staying steadfast on their vision for this sim, we can only wait and vote with our time and our dollar.

If I wanted a sim for me and my preferences I'd have busted my ass for decades to make my own game engine, get data, make manufacturer deals, get licenses etc etc. When it comes to coding, game design im a sheep, I never trained to be a wolf. I'm a wolf on the track and other areas of life and I'm more than content with that.

Like many of my colleagues that I race with on here at RD I'm disappointed in some comments/threads made with regards to their scope in the grand scheme of things. I'm an individual like all of you, but I have the knowledge, experience and know how to appreciate other points of view even if they differ from mine. When it comes to change for the better, I cannot stand on the side that is against it. I take my leave from these convos.

Well, all comes down to opinions, i respect yours and others, i just think that if we're "simulating" hypothetical racing scenarios we should be able to configure them as we want, just that, forcing people to use some "aids" it's not right in my opinion, i'm liberal on that aspect, we should be able to shift gears before green lights and have a pit limiter button too. What should be "locked" are ONLY physics related features like slipstream for example...

Then it's a non issue.

Just like being able to disable DSP in single player shouldn't be an issue, especially if you can enforce it online. If you can unrealistically alter the slipstream in SP then why can't you unrealistically downshift? You can turn damage off (also unrealistic), so why not be able to turn DSP off? The claim that it should always be enforced because it's "realistic" doesn't make much sense when all these other unrealistic options are still available.

I'm a firm believer that more options is better and makes the sim accessible to more people, which means more people will buy AC, which is a win/win for everyone. I don't care if some bloke in his living room is driving in an unrealistic fashion as long as he's having fun and supporting Kunos. Have hardcore options for those of us who want them, and amateur options for those who don't, everyone's happy.

but I have the knowledge, experience and know how to appreciate other points of view even if they differ from mine.

As do I. And I understand why some people think DSP should be enforced at all times, it's perfectly fine for them to have that opinion. I just don't think its a wise business move to start enforcing people to play in one particular way especially if they want to be successful on consoles. They're already pissed that most people don't play AC the way they want them to, so why keep trying to force people to play their way? That's just my opinion though, Kunos can do whatever they want with the sim and I doubt they'll be coming to me to ask my opinion.

Last edited:
Ok, all you guys are missing a point. Downshifting too fast is not only unrealistic, its abusive at the same time. You guys are fighting over something that is so logical, just for the sake of arguing.

EDIT: And please, let the Kunos be the judge of what is good or bad for the business.

Ok, all you guys are missing a point. Downshifting too fast is not only unrealistic, its abusive at the same time. You guys are fighting over something that is so logical, just for the sake of arguing.

EDIT: And please, let the Kunos be the judge of what is good or bad for the business.

Are you calling us stupid or something? Who do you think you are to criticise people's opinions? Lol, i love those guys... :rolleyes:

If you can't manage your car and gearbox damage it's your problem, nobody's here pretending to do unrealistic things with a car but having some control over what's happening, sad you didn't get that...

After doing some research on it I've mostly changed my mind. On cars that have it in real life it should be an always-on feature.

Right, so ABS and TC should be allways on in cars you can't turn it off, or track should be allways green until you drive on it for 2 or 3 REAL hours, or you should drive ALLWAYS with H shifter in cars that have no paddles, or damage should be LOCKED on 100%, etçª...

COME ON! Is it that hard to understand what we're talking about?

The point here is that we're talking about simulation software, so all aids should be configurable, that way you can set a league the way you want it, more hardcore or more arcade, or optional, or both!

No it's not, it's something that can be changed by software by engineers, like ABS or TC tottally OFF...

Just read my previous post, so why can you drive an H shifter car with paddles? Isn't that a "function" of the car?
yes it is a function, but it is your hardware and budget that is limiting you. You cant force people to buy equipment just for your game, while you can force people to shift just a bit later... Like I said, downshifting too early is not a problem of managing damage, but it is a problem of abuse. These are two different things. Is it so hard to understand what I'm talking about?

This is a simulator, turning off downshift lock is like just changing the HP because the car would be more fun if you could have 100 more HP in it... sure it's possible but it kinda misses the point of it representing a specific car. Personally I'm against ABS/TC having an 'force off' option too. If you don't like it, drive a car that hasn't got it.

I don have time to read the whole thread. Just wanted to add my two cents. This down shift protection is starting to annoy me. I mostly drive cars with stick shifter though. When I jump into the paddles it feels as if my paddles are broken or something.

One question.. Do any real cars have this function or only us to avoid exploiting faster braking and unrealistic down shifting? If so why don't kunos punish it with gearbox failure then instead? That sounds much more logical to me.

It shouldn't be a forced addition. Just like tc or abs.

If like a above Gt3's are for amutures this is why it is needed. But this is not the gt3 series it is AC. So allow it to be on or off. Put in the server cfg, gearbox wear rate, engine wear rate etc.

Or by the way, I could nearly guarantee that alot of people drive bonnet view. Which real life race series / road cars comes standard with that feature.

Last edited:
yes it is a function, but it is your hardware and budget that is limiting you. You cant force people to buy equipment just for your game, while you can force people to shift just a bit later... Like I said, downshifting too early is not a problem of managing damage, but it is a problem of abuse. These are two different things. Is it so hard to understand what I'm talking about?

Yeah i understand, i bet you drive like miss Daisy that's why you want some noob features...

And limited by hardware can't be an excuse, if you want hardcore realism then you shouldn't be able to drive an H pattern car with paddles, you want to drive it you buy the hardware, because it's the way it is in real life...

And those kind of stupid unchangeable features on AC makes me love even more rFactor2...

Yeah i understand, i bet you drive like miss Daisy that's why you want some noob features...

And limited by hardware can't be an excuse, if you want hardcore realism then you shouldn't be able to drive an H pattern car with paddles, you want to drive it you buy the hardware, because it's the way it is in real life...

And those kind of stupid unchangeable features on AC makes me love even more rFactor2...
Dude. Relax... No need to go around calling people names as if you were in elementary school just because you don't like what they're saying. You keep preaching realism, but want to disable a feature that real cars have. Not sure I understand your angle, but okay.

And concessions due to hardware is perfectly legitimate. Not everyone can afford full setups. To say otherwise is closed-minded and inconsiderate.

If you enjoy rFactor 2 so much, then by all means, go enjoy it instead of ranting :)

Not a question of ranting, i'm just expressing my opinion, if you can disable ABS in some cars you should be able to disable that downshift protection, i don't want no abuse or cheating because you should damage your gearbox if done incorrectly, just whishing that as this is a simulation software you can change options as you want...

In relation to hardware it's precisely the same thing, i can do a league where only H shifter is permited, all the guys with paddles are excluded, the same way you should be able to set up a server where you don't have downshift protection, this is what i'm talking about!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back