Advice on VR

Hope you guys can help me out here. I ran the steam vr performance test and it stated that my R9 290 graphics card was incapable of handling vr. But on the rift website it says that vr will work with that card. I don't want to waste money on a headset if my pc can't run it, but then I don't want to waste money on buying a new graphics card if it isn't necessary. I'll be using it for iRacing and other racing titles so I just want to know if iRacing is that taxing on a graphics card in vr or not, and if you guys have had any experience with a similar card to me. Thanks

I'd be looking at something at LEAST in the 980Ti range of performance. That's probably a Vega 56 in AMD speak. The 290 is pretty old at this point. I think a GTX 970 beats it, from memory and people have a hard time of running sims on that thing. You see in racing sims especially, you want to aim to hit 90hz. You can aim to run at half of that, but it's not optimal. There is a tonne of reading you can do on VR and what people's experiences are with various titles and also hardware. The long story short version is I would upgrade that GPU if you plan on seriously persuing VR sim racing.

I can recommend looking for a used GTX 1080, 1070Ti or even an older 980Ti. They would service you pretty well on something like an Oculus. If you are planning on getting something like the new Pimax range of headsets, be prepared to search for new or used GTX 1080Ti's and NOTHING less.

Upvote 0
Hope you guys can help me out here. I ran the steam vr performance test and it stated that my R9 290 graphics card was incapable of handling vr. But on the rift website it says that vr will work with that card. I don't want to waste money on a headset if my pc can't run it, but then I don't want to waste money on buying a new graphics card if it isn't necessary. I'll be using it for iRacing and other racing titles so I just want to know if iRacing is that taxing on a graphics card in vr or not, and if you guys have had any experience with a similar card to me. Thanks

Hey mate I have an R9 290 and I run Rift locked 45fps ASW with most settings very high with PP 1.3. With the various mods including GBW and the latest CM shader patch you can make the game look extremely good. I have no issues and am happy with that GPU. Good luck

Upvote 0
I’d be all over VR, but wearing glasses kinda puts a damper on that avenue...

You might not need glasses with a VR headset. Do you wear glasses permanently, or just for reading/monitors? I wear them for the latter and find I don't need them with the Rift.

You could try the HTC Vive. I've tried to wear glasses with the Rift, but it was difficult. But my glasses did fit well and comfortably inside the HTC Vive.

You can buy prescription inserts for VR. See vr-lens-lab

Upvote 0
Daniel it probably depends on shape of the face and size of the glasses .
For me it was uncomfortable so I invested in inserts form vr-lens-lab .
I'm very pleased there is a little bit of distortion on the edges but for me comfort playing without glasses is priceless
You can also check at www.vroptician.com theay are a little bit cheaper and have different mounting system

Attachments

• IMG-20180614-WA0002[1].jpg
    IMG-20180614-WA0002[1].jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

All HMDs pretty much focus on infinity, only nearsighted need glasses when using them.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Forum trophies