• "My mind is always racing." - Justin Bieber
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Advice on setting up alternative screen

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by infamouswaine, Oct 23, 2017.

1. infamouswaine

infamouswaine

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Morning everyone hope all is well on this Fine Monday morning

i currently run a triple monitor setup. to successfully run a information panel i do not really want to reduce the number of screens i run.
    Is there a known way to run an information board to display lap times or data separately
    i have looked into simhub etc some appear to use just a usb connection or a gpu port,
    could i run another pc to handle data queries from project cars etc.
    Ive been looking at alt screen solutions as im a bit baffled if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

2. infamouswaine

infamouswaine

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?
    so to recap alt screen/pc to run data separate from my current rig

3. Emery

Emery

Ratings:
    +340
    Your video card can likely handle a 4th monitor, which you would configure separate from the triples. In other words, you'd span the desktop across the usual 3 and then the 4th is another desktop to bind programs to.

This would not be a viable approach if you can't find programs to display data or you are already using the 4th monitor output to mirror the central monitor for recording videos.

Otherwise, simhub etc. is the way to go.

4. infamouswaine

infamouswaine

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not overly familiar with simhub

Currently run a 1060 GTX that has HDMI and display port connections used
    I don't really want to increase the load out of a 4th monitor. I'd rather prefer a seperate unit to run of telematry .
    I wasn't sure if you could lan and send information to a seperate machine to handle that request?

5. Beef36

Beef36

Ratings:
    +12
    I do both:

a) I used to run 3 * Displayport monitors for triple screen and then a 4th HDMI monitor for other stuff all from the same graphics card (eg I'd stream real world F1 Qualifying sessions on the 4th monitor while doing my own qualifying in game at the same time). I didn't seem to get any performance hit from running a non-game rendering 4th monitor. I no longer do this as the HDMI port is now used for VR.

b) Some telemetry software allows you to enter the IP address of another machine into its config files. This also allows me to run telemetry both to the 4th monitor and also another PC in parallel. In both instances I don't visually see any FPS performance hit.

6. RotarySam

RotarySam
    Premium

Ratings:
    +0
    You can use Simhub for this. You can instruct Simhub to broadcast on a local IP which you can access from a web browser that’s on the same network (such as an iPad, tablet, or phone). You could use another computer if you really want. I have also used a USB monitor and it works well for this type of thing, but I’m not sure what the CPU usage is. If you download the Dashboard Creations v6.0+ pack for Simhub, he just released a Leaderboard dash that may work. Simhub and the dash pack are constantly being improved. I hope this helps.