Advice on a External HD

Will

I have two WD USB external's plugged into my machine. 320GB (about 7 years old) and 1TB about 12 month's old. I use them for storing data only all applications sit on my main Raid drive. Never had a connection problem, Data transfer rates as they are not critical for the info held appear fine. I have my Itunes library on one and have no proble with the music playback. I have videos on the other and it does delay the compilation porcess a little in HD resolutions but not by much.

Personally I won't buy external USB 2.0 only devices any more. I love eSATA transfer speed and USB 3.0 is right on the way..
If you don't have eSATA or USB3.0 yet - perhabs there is a not so expensive USB 3.0 drive that is usable now with USB 2.0 speed and later with your next PC that should offer USB3.0 ;)

Update: another thing I really love is my 2.5"/3.5" HDD docking station. I just love to be able to put in what ever hard drive comes in my hand.
The newer ones equipped with USB3.0 are getting effordable and maybe there are some equipped with USB3.0 and eSATA. Would go search one for myself if I didn't have eSATA...

I have USB2.0/eSATA-Combo: http://www.raidsonic.de/de/products/details.php?we_objectID=6069

USB3.0 -Version: http://www.raidsonic.de/de/products/details.php?we_objectID=6819

There are other vendors - go for a google .. :)

Western Digital does make good hard drives. I did not follow any links for specs on this one but, look for at least 7200 rpm speed, and if your computer supports it USB 3.0. That is just for speed in saving files and then accessing them again. I just set myself up with a new laptop and for the main drive I went with a 120 gig Solid State. I cannot believe how fast it is. the computer boots up in about 20-30 secs and shuts down really fast. Photoshop opens in about 20 seconds, it is really amazing compared to my old 100 gig 5400 rpm drive. Anyway, good luck with the reload, I hope stuff goes faster for you Will. How has the chef business been m8? Still looking forward to the day I arrive in Hawaii and go to the culinary dinner served up by Will M. :)
Cheers.
William

I just use a internal HDD and buy a external enclosure, it's definatly the cheaper option :)
What would he save for now ? 10 bucks ?
The external disk will fill up within two years.. he then would have to buy another enclosure then just because he won't want to change disks in your slow old 10 bucks cheaper enclosure :)

These docks are no that much more expensive on the long term.. You'll love them if you get in touch with more and more drives.. and these small 2.5" drives get more and more attractive too.

Thanks for all the advice guys. On a bit of a budget for this PC upgrade as I was just looking to backup my files and re-install Win7. So went with the deal on the 1 TB external HD above. All good info to know when the time comes for either upgrading or buying a new PC.

Thx again! :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years