Add a Background Image?

Sup folks.

Was wondering how this "add a back ground Image" works.
Ive read the help file, and it mentions that I can use a background image combined with my already blended terrain. Is this correct?

Im trying to achieve those really nice textured terrains like you guys.
http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder-wip-tracks/47807-irc-monte-carlo-2011-a.html
http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder-wip-tracks/47790-pacific-coast.html

is this what the add background image option is for?

i relies my track is fictional, so ill have to paint this image myself in photoshop (which is no problem, just more work, but ill have fun while im doing it).. I can make a screen shot of a top down view in 3d view within btb then use it as reference in ps.

Anyway, I haven't actually made anything for it yet, as right now im just seeing how it works.
I added an image (just a jpg).. but what do I do next? ... after I choose the image btb popups a dialogue/list.. I see the image i just added, so i pressed "close". Tho i cant see any change on my terrain itself. other then the image in top view . I exported my experiment for RBR and played, but the image dosent seem to be mapped onto the terrain.

Perhaps i have misunderstood what this option is for. Is it simply for reference so ppl can align a track to a, for example a g-earth image?

in addition, what sort of res images are these?.. my track is 17k, but its enclosed on itself . so its about 5k width and 7 long terrain wise

Has anyone added background images with textured wall? I dont know if you get what i mean, say you make a big wall circling the track and just add a mountain texture to it. Don't know if it will work, just thinking out loud. Im trying to find the easiest and least time consuming way to create a background that would look good as well.

Has anyone added background images with textured wall? I dont know if you get what i mean, say you make a big wall circling the track and just add a mountain texture to it. Don't know if it will work, just thinking out loud. Im trying to find the easiest and least time consuming way to create a background that would look good as well.

You need to replace the images in the skybox if you want a complete overall different background. There are instructions in the skybox.mas file

Or you can make an extra wall as scenery, here is a tutorial I made for adding extra scenery http://3rdgearmotorsports.com/wordpress/?file_id=14

Great thread to dig up! I took a bunch of terrain textures out of Google Earth for a little track i did a week ago just to try out the terrain blending and was pleasantly surprised. This thread definitely offers up some ways to take it to the next level. Very cool!

You need to replace the images in the skybox if you want a complete overall different background. There are instructions in the skybox.mas file

Or you can make an extra wall as scenery, here is a tutorial I made for adding extra scenery http://3rdgearmotorsports.com/wordpress/?file_id=14

Great stuff mate. Thank you!!!!

One question though, what the program you used in the end to adjust the C++ code? And is it important to use it to fix the background scenery? Or is it just an extra step that is optional?

Thx in advance.

PS: This thread should be stickied for the great information it provides.

YW!
There is no c++ code, that's the .scn file, I just use c++ language thingy cause it highlights everything comfortably. But that notepad I'm using is called notepad++.

That's just an extra step that attaches the scenery to the skybox. The skybox moves around with you. But if you want the scenery to stay still and not move, then you don't worry about that part and just leave it how it is when you export it.

YW!
There is no c++ code, that's the .scn file, I just use c++ language thingy cause it highlights everything comfortably. But that notepad I'm using is called notepad++.

That's just an extra step that attaches the scenery to the skybox. The skybox moves around with you. But if you want the scenery to stay still and not move, then you don't worry about that part and just leave it how it is when you export it.

Right. Thx for clearing that up. :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back