ACTA, SOPA and PIPA Thread

I am glad to see that these bills have been stopped for now, but, a more sensibly thought out and less restrictive bill is and will be needed. The state of piracy on the internet is a real threat to the continued success of the games/music and films industries and has to be redressed... But SOPA was NOT the way to do it :)

The state of piracy on the internet is a real threat to the continued success of the games/music and films industries and has to be redressed... But SOPA was NOT the way to do it :)

I disagree on this one. The companies have never made as much money as they do now.
And i would bet my house that 99% of the content someone downloads they would not have bought in the first place.
So there´s really no money lost anyways. They are just greedy.

I´ve downloaded so many movies and i would never have went to see them if it weren´t for torrents.
If i see a movie i really like i go and see it on the cinema and even buy the Blu-Ray.

I´m tired of game/movie/music industries producing garbage and nick your money because you never had a chance to try/see/listen to it before hand.

Take the creator of Minecraft. He´s rich as hell now and he is encouraging people to download his game from a torrent. He just said that if you had the money later in life then buy it if you want.

That´s how it should be imo. If your product is really good then people will buy it.

I do think some companies could do more in the way of demo's etc, we have all bought a game or a film to find its garbage... But, most people, if they can steal it for free, wont buy it later if they think its good...its human nature.

Also, you say you have watched films you would not have bought? I can see this this to SOME DEGREE, but I bet you have watched more that you would have purchased (but ultimately did not)

The honest truth is, if it was your YOUR product, YOU would be angry about it being STOLEN..... thats the TRUTH! :)

Also, you say you have watched films you would not have bought? I can see this this to SOME DEGREE, but I bet you have watched more that you would have purchased (but ultimately did not)
Nope, every single movie that i think was great i buy it or see it in the cinema, just to support that person/company.

I´ve seen way to many crap films and they have taken so much money from me that was completely wasted that i take some back now but support the true makers.

The honest truth is, if it was your YOUR product, YOU would be angry about it being STOLEN..... thats the TRUTH! :)
Not if i got rich first.
If nobody bought the product at all and people only downloaded it then i would be mad but if i got rich (like every single person got) then i honestly would not care anymore.

I´ve gotten my share of money for the time i put in times ten and would probably give it our for free after that or atleast encourage people to simply download it.

It´s a difference making millions of money on a song then find out some people have downloaded it and crave for more money so they can buy that yacht then it is to create a song which nobody buys then find out everyone has downloaded it instead.

The big corps are playing a game, they act like their business is hurting when in reality they have never made as much money as they do today so obviously someone is buying their song/movie/game.

So, SOPA has been stopped for now, fine, right? Well kinda.
The European Union is scheduled to discuss ACTA this week, and ACTA, can potentially be even worse than SOPA. ACTA, or
Anti-Counterfeting Trade Agreement as the full name is, was made in 2007, to stop fake medications and other physical items. Like a fake Fulham FC t-shirt.
However, ACTA has been changed many many times since then, and the final version is ready to be discussed in the US, Canada, Japan, South-Korea and the EU (26th of January). And to be honest, stopping fake clothes and stuff to get in is fair enough, but there are several parts of the law that describes how internet-distribution, and technology should be controlled and monitored. And how the companies providing internet should monitor all activity to check if any illegal files are being shared.
Another thing that is interesting to note is that this law has been shipped through the legal systems with great efforts to keep it secret, so it will be easier to force it through. And it has been decided by a selected group of industrial nations, but on the outside of organizations that usually deals with this stuff, such as
World Intellectual Property Organization and World Trade Organization.
If this goes through, the internet, as we know it today will be very different, and it might be a bigger change than SOPA would've been.

You can read much more information, in much greater dept and more in a more correct way here.

I'm just saying... the Power some nations, and not at least, some companies can get if any of these laws are passed... Well, hello China!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back