AC VR Prep

I'm looking to get a Rift in the next few months and I had a few questions for those of you with some VR experience.

First off, anyone have any trouble finding the gear lever while wearing their headset? I'm sure you can learn it eventually, but I'm thinking that might be tricky for a while.

Secondly, what would you guys recommend I upgrade first for the best experience? I'm running an EVGA GTX970 SSC FTW GPU, 16GB RAM (forget the speed, but I've been running the same sticks since mid 2011), and I believe an i7 4790k CPU @ 4GHz (definitely 4GHz, definitely i7 4xxx, might not be that exact chip). Alone on track I currently hover in the 150FPS range on a single 1920x1080 monitor. I can't recall where I fall in a big field of AI but that's my preferred stomping ground so I want to make sure I can still do that.

I'm leaning towards upgrading RAM as it's quite old now, and upping that to 32 would also do me well for CAD work, but if I'll get a big bang for my buck upgrading something else I'm game. I just don't want to have to reduce graphics to keep a fluid 90FPS on the Rift. What is typically more important for VR?

Cheers

GPU, GPU, GPU. I have a rift and I wouldn't run it with a 970. I'm running a 1080 now, which still requires me to dial down the graphics and turn off a majority of the PP effects. I think 1070 is probably the minimum entry point in my opinion. You can run 45fps and less graphics but its not enjoyable to me.

GPU, GPU, GPU. I have a rift and I wouldn't run it with a 970. I'm running a 1080 now, which still requires me to dial down the graphics and turn off a majority of the PP effects. I think 1070 is probably the minimum entry point in my opinion. You can run 45fps and less graphics but its not enjoyable to me.

Damn
that's upsetting. 1080s are nearly $1k here. :(

The main reason for this is that pretty much all of us upscale the image. Running 1.5 pixels per or even 2.0 in some. That makes the graphics look much better but requires crazy amounts of GPU power. If you don't upscale you would be fine, but the stock resolution isn't great in my opinion.

The main reason for this is that pretty much all of us upscale the image. Running 1.5 pixels per or even 2.0 in some. That makes the graphics look much better but requires crazy amounts of GPU power. If you don't upscale you would be fine, but the stock resolution isn't great in my opinion.

Yea, I've heard the resolution isn't all that great. I'm going to try to get out to one of the Best Buy store near me to have a hands-on test to evaluate it for myself. The biggest concern I have is getting motion sickness from it; it would really, really, really suck to pile the money into it and find I can't use it because it makes me sick.

On the first question, using the gear stick (and handbrake for that matter) with the headset on is a complete non-issue for me...I don't look at it to find it when belting around a track in real life either, I just kind of know where it is *shrug*

First, about finding the gear shift, it is not an issue, it is very natural. Your hand will find it every time and you will shift like you do in your real car.
Second, all you really need is steady 45FPS, because of ASW, so try it with your existing everything, you might be surprised that you can use lower settings with VR than with a monitor. Your next move is most likely a better GPU in the future.
Third, VR thickness in driving SIM, is not as real as internet makes it to be, either you won't have any, like me, or you will quickly adapt. As long as you have smooth FPS and do not have unnatural camera movement that you don't need in VR to start with.

I ran a Gtx 780 with a cv1 for a while, now using a gtx 980 ti... Online I can deal with 15 players. (old cpu 2700k oc 4.2ghz)
As long as you have a good balance of decent Cpu and gpu you'll be fine, you'll just need to find your limit.

Thanks guys, sounds promising. I'm going to try to get to a demo this weekend if possible. I have a big freelance cheque waiting to clear right now, so once that goes through and I get a few financials sorted I can evaluate whether or not the time is right. :)

i have gtx970 and run 1.4PPD, PP on (custom filter which saves some fps), world detail max, AA 2x (4x would be nice but cant afford with these settings). Can only do this because of Oculus ASW meaning i only need to get 45fps, works nicely for me. ASW introduces some artifacts but can live with them

I’ve got a EVGA GTX 980 and a Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 and except from Subnautica all games I play run nicely (Iracing, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom etc). I have to switch off some eye candy but that doesn’t matter that much because of the resolution. Also, when you’re racing you don’t have much time to look for the eye candy. ;)

Your In luck too Oculus prices have just come down.. Only just a bit though.
I saw that yesterday, but it looks like the price cut was only the US. Canadian retailers were all still listing it at $850 :(

Even with the massive exchange rate, it would only be $666CAD if I bought it from the US. That's almost $200 less! Plus the tax rate in the US is a lot lower, so I'd save even more. With my luck, though, I'm sure I'd get dinged with a duty charge at the border were I to cross over to buy one...

[EDIT]GAH! Now that I've said it Best Buy has it on sale for $170 off, listed at $680CAD for the next couple weeks. I wonder how long that cheque will take to clear...

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I had another question -

Would I be better off picking up a second GTX 970 and running the two cards in SLI, or ditching my current card and running with a 1070 or 1080?

Right now it's looking like I'm going to be picking up a Rift in the next couple weeks; as long as the demo goes well and I don't get the motion sickness it's a done deal. :)

Sorry for the double post, but I had another question -

Would I be better off picking up a second GTX 970 and running the two cards in SLI, or ditching my current card and running with a 1070 or 1080?

Right now it's looking like I'm going to be picking up a Rift in the next couple weeks; as long as the demo goes well and I don't get the motion sickness it's a done deal. :)

I'd say a strong single card is always better than hoping sli is supported.

I'd say a strong single card is always better than hoping sli is supported.

I figured that would be the case; thing is, the 1080 is still around $8-900 here, whereas I can get another 970 for half that, or less. I'll run with the one 970 for the time being and see how that goes and then make a decision when I have a better picture of my finances over the next few months. If the new freelance project is around the same size as the one I'm just finishing, I'll get the 1080 and give my 970 to my father so he can run SLI with his brand new 970. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back