AC: Update Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ! Can't see this thread anymore so... What do you guys think the new build will bring up to the table?

Because these days its photos and future content, but I'd myself rather enjoy a 1.0 release ! With proper collisions etc... Anyone got news?

I read some updates and some news about v1 will be made next week, not that v1 will actually be coming next week. I think if we're lucky we might see a v1.0 RC before the end of the year. If they're working on weather, full day simulation (which means functioning headlights for night racing), working pit stops with strategy, new tire model and the FMOD sound engine there's a lot of work to do so not holding my breath for a v1.0 RC next week.

d698547d16.png

1.0 is coming!

... in 6-8 months at best (my guess)

We will be lucky if Assetto Corsa 2 has weather and full day and night simulation in three or four years...please don't spread misinformation.
Same can be said for the AC2 / 4-5 year comment..

MY OPINION - not starting a rumor ... just looking at all the pieces..

Now that the graphics engine is updated and from the looks lighting was one of the updates.. which may allow for multiple light sources. Headlights and such..
If headlights work all we have to do is make a night track.

Rain is a visual effect for the most part.. and all KS has to is define the surface frictions .. set it to 40-60 and there you go a wet track.

Don't think it will be very long but its not a priority..

Actually I had a lengthy conversation with Aris this morning; while most of what was said was in confidence I can assure you that multiple light sources aren't happening anytime soon. This graphics engine was designed to achieve x amount of fps using x amount of GPU power. There is no way currently to use multiple light sources and still stay within the performance parameters they had set.

They made a list of things for the 'perfect' sim and then had to make compromises so that it would actually run on more than a supercomputer. Using real time physics calculations for triggering active aero was important enough to them that it had to stay included. Having the AI use real time physics instead of simply running a predetermined speed on a predetermined line was another of the features that they felt important enough to keep. We won't even start on the tire model that includes graining, blistering, flatspotting, heat cycles, and a host of other things. (he actually laughed out loud when talking about seeing people call AC's tire model 'simple')

All of these things and dozens more have a cost that must be paid in the form of pc performance. When they investigated how people actually play online they found that very few (less than 5%) people actually use the night or weather function of the different sims. Everybody wants to make a lap of Spa at night, in the rain, with a tire puncture; but they only want to do it once. If you have to cut a feature, cutting something that very few people would ever actually use more than a handful of times seems like a no-brainer IMO.

I can assure you that multiple light sources aren't happening anytime soon. This graphics engine was designed to achieve x amount of fps using x amount of GPU power. There is no way currently to use multiple light sources and still stay within the performance parameters they had set.
Makes sense, when you look at games that do use multiple light sources (I'm thinking of the Source engine mostly, which has multiple shadow-casting sources to allow flashlights and stuff - Spintires a more similar genre) they look nice but they're not doing photo-mode quality models & textures.

As for rain being 'make the track darker and set grip to 60%, plus some streaks of raindrops' do you really think Kunos would be happy with that? Would the customers be happy with that? If rain's gonna be in a sim, I want visuals like PCars and physics like there are actually puddles on the track, and the racing line is dryer behind other cars (since the tires kick the water off until more lands).

Its simple actually...take a look at pCars,it has a lot of visual effects,witch makes it very nice looking but with the graphics settings set on medium in both games,in pC the fps is lower and with a evening time time of day it gets even lower and adding rain,my PC almost screams in pain...so indeed adding more"details" for the engine to work with,will make it run slower.I can run a triple screen setup with AC in multiplayer with above 20 cars and keep the fps between 50-60. This is impossible with pC on the same level of graphics settings.I like both games so no war here hehehe

All of these things and dozens more have a cost that must be paid in the form of pc performance. When they investigated how people actually play online they found that very few (less than 5%) people actually use the night or weather function of the different sims. Everybody wants to make a lap of Spa at night, in the rain, with a tire puncture; but they only want to do it once. If you have to cut a feature, cutting something that very few people would ever actually use more than a handful of times seems like a no-brainer IMO.

Agreed. I'm also of the opinion that night/rain is surplus to requirments. No-one races them.
any game that has had these with an online element i have tried - you never, ever race them online. People don't take too well to not being able to run at full pelt for 10 laps. They just don't have the patience for tip-toeing around in the rain/dark.

It's in my opinion a cock measuring feature. Tire models and other things are vastly more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 379 28.3%