AC: Stuttering reduction

What can a user do to reduce or eliminate stuttering even in practice runs where their are no other cars on the track?

With Lotus F1 on Monza track I sometimes get as many as 6 stutters per lap, sometimes its 0 which is great.

What is the key cause of stuttering when running AC local vs MP which involves network response time as well as AC MP implementation?

Background:

My system: CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz (some small amount overclocking was installed from Main Performance)
Video: NVIDIA | EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti to 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors 85hz refresh

I use a SSD memory for the AC install (The SSD is my C: drive)
My cpu usage is about 26% when AC is running. Processor Affinity shows all checked (0 to 8), Priority=Normal,
window resource monitor shows the cpus are getting used and none are any where near 100%, more like 40-50% and there are graphics showing PARKED cpus.

I turned off the car interior controllable items: no wheel, no driver arms.
I set Frame Limit to match my monitor max at 85.
FRAPS shows FPS will dip to 67 in some corners.
I tried reducing smoke generation and mirror resolution, I turned blur off completely.
I have not turn off HDR yet.
I have not tried to us msconfig and kill all background processes. I typically have firefox running in the background
which is the larger memory user (then Spyhunter4, explorer, LCore, office.bin, Steam....)
I have not tried to ALT-TAB out of AC when I see stuttering to see what is running with the resource monitor.
After I ran the resource monitor and looked at the CPU tab and saw a number of PARKED cpus I downloaded and ran a disable parking utility (edits the registry). This seems to have helped. Any problem with doing this?

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

AC settings: Fullscreen Rendering ON | Triple Screen ON (6065x1080) | Vsync - OFF | Frame Limit - 85 | Aniso x 8 | AA x 4 | FXAA x 3 | Shadows -Low | World Detail - Maximum | HDR Color Sat On @ 92%| Smoke Generation – Low||Smoke in Mirrors OFF| Motion Blur - OFF | Mirror Resolution High| CubeMaps at Low | Faces per Frame - 4

Last edited:
I only used one track for the testing. Monza 1966 to get high track speeds and number to compare. I could try another track if you would like. The 6060 width res is due to bezel correction of the triple monitor. It shows up as 6060x1080 in AC and in Nvidia as corrected resolution. Yes it looks like the AI is the load that puts one over the threshold of 0 to a few stutters per 5 laps, and AI load and pushed it up to several per lap or 10-18 stutters / 5 laps.
Yes I really enjoy the game, getting to a point that I need the Racedepartment driver training, I have hit my lap limit at 1:15.3sec in the mod lotus 125 s1 that the Gabor Bernhardt posted on RSR live at 1:11sec. I am using his car mods as well.

Rick, does it still stutter without the car mods?

Not that I intended. You can see the taskmanger screen shot shows in some of the race and practice screen shots that there is GameOverlayUI.exe running but AC started this or Stream did.
Afterburner and snagit screen capture, sometimes firefox.
AC is stock except for 1 setup. I do run some Ac HUD apps.
Not sure what you are looking for.

Attachments

• 2014-06-15_00008.jpg
    2014-06-15_00008.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 221
Re where happens. Yes this is correlation of movement of background, bumps, and traffic.
I think I reported this already somethere.

Just past the start stop line. (maybe a bump there, AC might be doing some lap summary stuff here.
Corner 1 before, or after Not much action here, this a full speed corner, not any large movements
Corner 3 going in and at apex, shadows more there, lots of movement
Corner 4 going in to the apex, but out to exit point ok
Just past the overpass before 5 (shadows?) Pretty straight
Out of corner 6 (last) again shadows?

Some third party apps and overlays can cause performance issues in some games. Just wasn't sure if you had anything running while playing. I do use Precision X along with RTSS while I'm playing but I've never noticed them to cause a problem.

Wait a min. I have been driving the stock 125 s1. You have to load the mod once you say start and I have been to lazy to do that so all reported values have been non setup cars. Some where in the reinstalls I lost the special setup and so I just got it again. It is faster, more stutters. But for testing I will go back to the stock 125 s1

Last edited:
Couple of things that will be hampering you.. Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp, while it does make everything look better at distance its a trade off, either run it clamped with lower anisotropic or turn it off and leave ingame aniso at 8x. Also your resolution is monstrous for a single gpu, even if it is a 780.. you will have to trade off stutters for lower graphics, as I notice you have AC fairly maxed out.

Couple of things that will be hampering you.. Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp, while it does make everything look better at distance its a trade off, either run it clamped with lower anisotropic or turn it off and leave ingame aniso at 8x. Also your resolution is monstrous for a single gpu, even if it is a 780.. you will have to trade off stutters for lower graphics, as I notice you have AC fairly maxed out.

But if you read through the whole thread, you will see he has tested it at the lowest graphic settings too and the stutters remain.

Rick, is it just one track that you have this issue? Is it Monza or Monza 66 or both? I think I read that it happens alone as well as with AI. Also, I believe your resolution should be 5760x1080, not 6060x1080 correct?
Per your question re other tracks: yes they fail also. With 9 AI on Silverstone International 5 laps 8 stutters with adaptive off in Nvida control panel. Speeds are slower here, background is not as complex, (trees, shade, fences etc) so instead of the 10-15 on Monza 66 I only got 8. Tried Monza as well. Same problems13 stutters/5 laps. This is a fun track...

Last edited:
It almost seems like you have a CPU issue, but generally speaking CPU's are extremely reliable. The fact that you disabled hyperthreading and things got worse is very suspicious because truthfully it should have made either no difference at all or improved. Since AC is notoriously CPU dependent, it just seems like your CPU is somehow not able to keep up. things only get worse with more AI.

Did you say you reinstalled Windows and all the drivers again? When you installed Windows, did you install the Intel chipset drivers that come with the motherboard?

Not that I put a lot of faith in the Windows Experience Index, but if you run it, what score does it give you?

Main Performance asked me to reinstall W7 from scratch on my SSD since I was having some hangs with no minidumps. So I did it as well as removing norton and enigma software. The drivers were from the ASUS CD for the motherboard, per Main Performance instructions. Then I re installed most of my office apps and GSCE, AC, and SNOW which really makes the GPU grind but the speed of movement is not high like AC and GSCE. What
Windows Experience Index What number would you expect given my system?

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 7.8
Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB 7.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 7.9
Gaming graphics 10849 MB Total available graphics memory 7.9
Primary hard disk 341GB Free (447GB Total) 7.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
Manufacturer ASUS
Model All Series
Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 1379 GB
Disk partition (C: 341 GB Free (447 GB Total)
Disk partition (D: 518 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Media drive (E: CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Total available graphics memory 10977 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 3072 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 7905 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.3788
Primary monitor resolution 5760x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Last edited:
Have you ever considered overclocking your processor i assume it is running stock?
Yes, When I bought it it was set for the base overclocking to 4Ghz but the
supply was defective and got replaced and unknown to me the overclocking setting
that came with the product got reset. I then have some kind of sw or hw issue causing hangs. Main Performance wants me to hold off on overclocking again until that issue is resolved. I do want to do it sometime in the future. I have the liquid cooler installed to support it as well as a bigger power supply.

Well you should be able to push 4.0 ghz wo breaking a sweat at all, not much extra wattage at all.you need a few guides to oc i can dig some up.

I did my i7 3.7 ghz running 4.3 ghz with ddr3 ram timings and 2100 bus i think off the top of my head, on air to boot i could easily go way higher if i got a liquid system. and i could go probably higher oc in general idle is 45c ish atm but its summer and that can vary up to 50c.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/overclock_intel_4770k_guide/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-10.html

Are others also having AC stuttering, I didn't know this was a problem. I haven't had any stuttering, running 5812x1080 with a single GTX 780 (i7 CPU) with most graphical settings on high. The graphics aren't "smooth" at times if I don't use vSync but I wouldn't even call that stuttering, I have been using vSync for quite some time.
@Rick Malm, I start to wonder if you have a hardware or corrupt OS/software. Not sure AC is the blame, unless others are having this and I'm just not aware.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%